update on my turntable , or speaker problem

joessportster

well thanks for all the input from you all i got my thorens 160 and at first sight i was a little dissapointed and considered telling the guy to keep it, MAN AM I GLAD I DIDNT DO THAT, i got it home hooked it up and it instantly sounded better than the onkyo, i have had no problems like before and i discovered i got a hell of a bonus with the deal, i paid 112.00 for the turntable without the guy knowing what the cartridge was he contacted me and asked if i had figured out what it is, so i started checking it out low and behold i have a STANTON 681, cartridge stylus, the sticker had came off the side that identifyies it on sight but behind the plastic nose it is also marked 681 and on top between the screw mounts it says stanton. SURE AM GLAD HE WAS TO LAZY TO INVESTIGATE FURTHER, I GUESS SOMETIMES I DO GET LUCKY, anyone have any further info about the cartridge i would be happy to hear it thanks Joe

The Stanton 681 series was very popular in the late seventies the best being the EEE model. I had several, still do somewhere. They had a nice smooth sound, not as detailed as some just different. Many prefered that sound to the more natural (brighter) sound of the Shures of the era (M91-ED,M97-ED). They are still marketed today in a version for DJ/Backscratch use.

Add 1 gram of tracking force if you use the dust brush. 1 1/2 to 2 without the brush, 2 1/2 to 3 with it.

Rick

Thanks Rick, I just set mine up (Stanton 681EEE w/ brush on Technics SL1700) and forgot about the additional compensation for the brush. So it's not the weight of the brush itself I'm compensating for, it's the up-force if you will, of the brush against vinyl, right? In other words, if I zero out the weight with brush on, still add 1 to 1 1/2 grams force when dialing the counterbalance weight back in?

Also, should this same compensation be added to the anti-skating dial, or just leave it at the normal 1 to 1 1/4 gm.

Thanks,

Michael

Did some reading on the Thorens, appears they are very well thought of. So does this mean that the 'old school' of thought of direct drive (SL 1700) for rock solid speed, low maintenance, quick startup from backcuing is a relic of a bygone era, no longer desired (sob). I've never noticed any motor hum or rumble problem. Maybe my ears are bad?

Sounds like all the serious guys have belts and wood cabinets. Wots the deal?

Nice find on the 160 and Stanton. I love my 681EEE- back cues like a mofo!

Michael

Did some reading on the Thorens, appears they are very well thought of. So does this mean that the 'old school' of thought of direct drive (SL 1700) for rock solid speed, low maintenance, quick startup from backcuing is a relic of a bygone era, no longer desired (sob). I've never noticed any motor hum or rumble problem. Maybe my ears are bad?

Thanks Zapper, your answer to compensation for the weighted brush is what I thought.

Michael

well polite is nice sometimes, i stillappreciate honesty on the whole, i just sold the onkyo on ebay got all my money back for it also, im not sure its a P O S#*; but its definately not even close to a thorens as far as sound goes it is built like a tank though weighs a good 10 pounds more than the thorens, maybe its what you call an entry level for the home that isnt meant to be kept for long, you know just long enough to find out how bad it can really sound compared to quality, and just another note THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE ONE OF ONKYO'S BEST that says a whole lot to me anyway thanks for the politeness and the frankness, im kinda hard to offend by the way i got my 1978 heresy's last night tto go with my 1977 corns, both walnut black finish THANKS RUSS YOUR THE MAN!!!!!!!

If and when the mood strikes you, replace the bottom board with a nice piece of 3/4 birch plywood. Makes the whole thing feel a lot more solid. It's supposed to imporve the sound too. I made one for mine a while back and I remember it being a nice improvement. I still think my TD 160 is the best table I've heard for less that 500.

Michael, you gotta have a belt these days. Geez, where have you been1.gif

will do that no problem i just got done building a 3/4" oak wall shelf to set it on after the stain dries up she goes. I was going to build a whole new cabinet for this as it is pressed wood, but second thought was to just build a oak surround that would fit the original case tightly then put some trim on top to hide the original pressed wood all togeather any ideas on if this would help or hurt the sound, also i was wondering what a good quality platter mat would be for this i already have a audioquest sorbothane that came with it it looks kinda old and worn also it is a tan color i would prefer a black mat however it is all about sound so i will get whatever is best for sound thanks Joe

Whoops, I guess it was 1/2" birch plywood I used. Did you ever see this webpage below? Lots of tweaks. I like the part about suspension tuning. Some of that damping stuff is overboard in my opinion. I don't think I would take the time building a whole new cabinet for it. Just make sure the one it comes in is solid. Might just try to make sure it's glued together well. I think getting the susupension properly set up after 20+ years is more important.

http://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_tweaks.htm

yes i agree getting the suspension right is the more important thing, i was actually going over that analogdept site this evening and looked the tuneing sect for the 160 over a little involved but i will give it a try dont look to complicated just time consumeing and tedious, i want to build a nicer case because the original one looks a little crappy to me and i hate pressed wood on anything thanks for the advice Joealso as this is 20+ years old it is getting a little rough, i did take the bottom panel off tonight and to tell the truth it looks to be a rather easy project, hardest thing would be to get the 4 plastic caps off intact to take the thing apart

----------------

On 1/1/2005 12:42:44 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Michael

----------------

Michael,

Wood is out! It's acrylic these days! Where've you been?6.gif9.gif9.gif

I still love my thorens 165. Great table for the $100 I paid.