Anyone into serious R/C(planes,boats or on/off road)?

TheEAR

Just purchased a few mods for my Yokomo and Kyosho 4 wheel drive off road buggies.And a brand new Traxxas Revo 9.gif

And a few modified motors by Reedy(12 and 14T modified)and Trinity(Monster Maxx Pro).Better than audio,more fun that is a sure thing.

So anyone else into serious R/C?

• 2 weeks later...

i happen to race off road 10th scale 2wd buggies. Infact i won the 2004 losi race in fl (stock class) still a fun time. have fun with the mods hope you got the speed control that can handle the amp draw of mods. Oh thanks for the idea to do a rsw tower love mine.

oh almost forgot you should have got the losi monster truck ,and for the 4wd buggies losi or bj-4wd may have been better. imo

Good to see some people who enjoy R/C here,too many people these days are into vegetable style hobbies(read PC gaming,console gaming).

I have a Team Losi Mini-T Pro witha few hopups this includes the Castle Creations MAMBA brushless motor and matching ESC.Radio gear is a Futaba,heavy duty servo and a few reinforcements right and left.The Mamba brushless is a hellacious 280 type motor capable of propelling the Mini-T to 60mph with LiPo cell packs,I use "only" six 2/3C matched cells.30mph and is usable off road.

My second mini is the Trinity Itsy Bitsy Spyder 4WD truck,also modded and will undergo heavy mods.Right now oil shocks,ball bearings all around.Trinity Monster Termination 280 motor,metal pinion gear.Waiting for the graphite chassis and full aluminium overhaul.Novak speed control and again a Futaba FM radio.

The third one is Traxxas's E-MAXX.This bad bruiser is almost all modded now.new chassis,motors,ESC,suspension and the works.The twin Traxxas 550 motors are now replaced with Trinity's dual Monster MAXX PRO 19 turn monsters 11.gif Airtronics radio.This beast will be upgraded to a HACKER brushless motor and Schultze speed control.With the HACKER motor the E-MAXX can smoke gas powered trucks in acceleration! BTW $219 for teh HACKER and around $400 for the ESC! 14.gif

After my new addition,the Traxxas REVO.Nitro racing truck,the most advanced racing truck made.A real beauty,not much hopups,will be upgrading this summer.To OS's best and add a few lighter and more durable parts.

Next comes my Kyosho Inferno nitro buggy.This one is pretty much stock as it performs well out of the box.No upgrades planned.For now

And my Duratrax Evader ST PRO stadium truck.Reedy 12T double,modified.Novak racing ESC and Futaba radio.Heavyduty Futaba servo installed.

I have an older Yokomo YZ10 and Kyosho Optima,have to dust them and repair a few things.

Will be buying a Serpent on road nitro and the 1/5th scale Duratrax buggy.

3.gif

This hobby aint cheap you know,and I ordered two Novak brushless systems.For the Evader and the other for the E-Maxx.Just for kicks

Back to my first hobby is a blast.

Heh,never really got into the mini or monster trucks,but have seen some that are sweet for sure.A yz10 brings back a memery or 2 ive been racing r/c cars for 15 years , but lately have got into drag racing hence the the name 505in motor in a 67lemans.still get out and race on the off weekend got to get ready for the 05 losi race got to defend right. agreeded not a cheap hobbie but the fun is well worth it in my book.on that note you should try drag racing with you driving if you think the r/c is fun .

i race a losi bk2 ,gt7esc, futaba 3pj ,jr8411dig servo,3300matced cells.

on the revo,at the local track they have a few that the guys have looking real good going around the track. and not the mush susp that it comes with. im sure i could get you a good idea what is needed to make it work as a monster RACE truck not a backyard basher.or a few of the web sights the hard core truck racers use

Although I didn't do anything with it last year cause it was in storage while we were building the house, I have a 46" Insane Mono with a modded Ron Buck Zenoah, Hanson tuned pipe, full tabs and turn fins, water cooled, etc. 4 or 5 balanced and sharpened props. Futaba 3PJ PCM radio, fail safe, a handful of back up digital servos. With the right prop and water conditions, it'll run 58-60 mph on GPS. The fail safe is a MUST for these things, I've seen pics on some of the gas boat sites where they've gotten out of control and they have the ability to pierce the hull of a full size fiberglass boat, to say nothing of the damage a razor sharp prop spinning at 20,000 rpm could do in a swimming area. Looking forward to doing some work on it this winter now that I have the room so it's ready to rock come soft water season.

Rick, I've always been interested in slot cars, but never had the space for a decent set-up. I still have the HO scale track I had as a kid, but would like to put together something more serious at some point in time. You have any good links, info, etc?

i use novak pro chargers,super brain charger at 1 time were more an entry lvl chrager ,but worked fine.If your not racing at the top lvl and just play from time to time im sure it will do just fine for you.

also the kind of batt. you use will make a difference on the charger , ni-cad, nic-metal, li-pol.

I have to assume (there's that nasty word again) that battery power would be more important running electrics than gas powered. All mine have to do is run the radio and the servos, so no huge power demand like I would guess you have with the electric motors. Would that make a difference in your recommendation? Also, do you have a link to info on the Novak chargers? Seems I remember the name, but with the house building last summer, I've been out of the boating sport for almost 2 years, a lot could have happened since then. In fact, I haven't looked em up yet, but the LoPi (?) batteries were news to me.

Only reason I brought up the Brain was that I checked my old boat site today, there was a couple people recommending it, though they are all gas powered too.

Little over 10 years ago I had the biggest electric of the time. Can't remember the name but 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steering. Took me a few weeks to build it after work on a card table. Ball bearings oil shocks 200 dollar programmable speed controller and high quality servo. Should have kept it, traded it for a real dirt bike then graduated to a race Honda 250R 4 wheeler. Back to the truck, my favorite was the stock plastic body which was repainted several times due to crashes and modifications. Tried them but thought they were too flimsy (polycarbonate bodys)and could not take abuse. Figured I had close to a thousand bucks in this thing with all the battery packs and little customized things I did to it. At the time I was about 28 or so and I once went to a small town hobby shop where all the younger guys had their trucks and cars on the off road track. I never said anything and I didn't have it with me but mine would have smoked them at the starting line, and that was with a stock motors.

Some of the best times of my life......now it's stereo9.gif I remember now, Clodbuster.

Yes the Coldbuster is a calssic,as far as larger 4*4's go.The problem with this type of truck no matter how much money you pour in hopup parts is the basic design is flawed for any serious race.Its a great show truch for pure fun.It was not designed for races in the first place

Today a truck like a E-Maxx with a few hopups lays a smack on any of the older larger designs,the secret being in the suspension,center of gravity mostly.And trucks like the Traxxas Revo can almost compete with Kyosho Inferno 1/8th scale 4*4 off roads!Around the track that is

For li-po batteries an AstroFlight charger is the best thing one can get for the price.The 969 Superbrain is falsly advertised as a li-po charger(I have one too).Its simply not a true li-po charger.

With li-po batteries and a good brusless motor/controller you can transform your on or off road electric into a rocket.I have the little Castle Creations MAMBA and in any 1/18th car it is INSANE.

Problem is you cannot exploit its full potential unless you have a LONG stretch of pavement or even dirt track with no larger rocks.Beefing the most crucial drivetrain parts is a must here.

I wouldnt worry about the li-po batt for what you use the elec for, but there again i would put a bit more concern as to the importance of your power. Its the only control you have over the boat. get good nic-metal reciever batt pack, a mid-priced peak charger and have some fun again.Im very happy with my novak chargers but they are 12volt only so i have a power supply i have to carry to hook to 110.

novaks web page is teamnovak.com

I will post a detailed answer tinight...at work now and work will pile up if I start posting too much during the day.4.gif

AstroFlight,they design and manufacture some of the finest BRUSHLESS motors made(besides HACKER,a respected German company).They make chargers,and chargers designed to charge li-po cells.

Li-Po cells are much lighter than the more commone Nickel Cadmium being the most popular type(used in R/C,and many cordless power tools),also Nickel Metal Hydride are also quite popular.

Li-Po are Lithium Polymer batteries,these are often used in planes to power quite hungry electric morors,and are lighter than Nickel cadmium or Nickel metal Hydride batteries of the same voltage and amperage.

More power in less space and weight = better run times and more speed.

Li-Po batteries are safe when used with chargers designed to charge them.In the Super Brain 969 instructions it says it CAN charge Li-Po cells.I would not use it unless I wanted trouble,the Astro Flight charger is safe.

Li-Po are very interesting in cars when you want to use a brushless motor/ESC combo and reach extraordinary speeds.There are quite a few 1/18TH scale cars and off roads capable of over 60MPH!!

And 1/10TH scale capable of over 80MPH with a proper gearing,diff and proper Hacker/ESC combination.

Think about it a 1/18TH buggy traveling at 100Km/h! 6.gif I reach 45-55mph with by gas powered cars,soon I will mod my 1/18TH to hit over 60mph.It is for pure fun,as you cannot use all this power on a tight track.

Yep Novak has some solid chargers,I have no Novak chargers,but four Novak ESC's.Up to now not one has failed me,I use them with caution and do not push them beyond their limits.Any ESC with exposed heatsinks(or FET's)can be helped alot by installing active cooling.I use 40mm 12V Delta fans rated at 16cfm.

In my future project I will use a 60mm 12V Delta rated at 51cfm!This will be the dual Hacker system on the E-Maxx. 1.gif Sick,one Hacker is plenty,two are brutish and nasty overkill.

My RC

I started with a Grasshopper way way back. Then upgraded to the original RC-10. Then purchased the truck conversion for the RC-10.

Then my local hobby shop put in an indoor on road track and I got a RC-10L 1/10 scale and a RC-12L 1/12 scale. Racing those two were really fun. Unfortunately that same store took out their track and moved to a new location. Closely there after I sold all of my stuff.

A few years ago a buddy of mine got back into off-road 1/10 2-wheel drive again and I purchased a RC-10 B3 off of him and still own it. I'm trying to decide what to do with all my current stuff. None of my buddies are into RC anymore and its not much fun by yourself.

I've had a load of fun over the years with RC cars and would love at some point to get into RC helicopters or planes.