2 to 5.1 or more?.....

wyattearp

Hi all and Happy New Year!

Since coming to the Forum, have learned much, but... as I read somewhere "...learning makes me spend money!" I'm going to move up (or down) to a _.1 system of some sort and basically just have a pair of KLF 20s and a decent CD player with an old analog receiver. Searching and have hopefully found a center KLF-C7. My question this time is, if I will probably just have mains, center, rear surrounds and a sub, I only need a 5.1 system, right? So the Pioneer Elite 56 TXi is probably overdoing it? Is it OK to run a receiver with multiple channels and only use ? 5? I guess I could add other speakers as cash allows. Also, has anyone had any problems with the Elite line? I'm leaning that way, since I've got/had other Pioneer components. Thanks

ps:the least expensive AUTHORIZED Dealer would be nice also...(I'm in NC.)

1.gif

Yes, your two mains, center, & surrounds is the 5 and the sub is the .1 adding an additional rear center would be 6.1 and two additional rears will be 7.1

Yes it's ok to have unused channels, that way it's less you have to upgrade in the future. As for an authorized Pioneer dealer I would check their website.

Hi. It's an easy upgrade from 2 channel to 5.1 with a decent receiver. Arguably the centre is more important than the 2 surrounds. Initially you could just buy the centre and the 2 surrounds. The subwoofer can come later as funds permit. If you buy the Pioneer, you can configure it any way you like in relation to the number of speakers. For surround sound I prefer 5.1. Some like the extra speakers for the 7.1 stuff. I don't. Multi channel music recordings are setup mainly for 5 speakers and usually a subwoofer. So if you set your system up for 5.1, you won't go wrong. Good luck. 1.gif

I agree. 5.1 is plenty, and you won't hurt your amp with unused channels. 7.1 is fine if you have the room, but to me it is overkill, and you begin running into the "Law of diminishing returns"

95% of DVD's are only encoded in 5.1 anyway, and your receiver just fills in the other channels. (My LOTR extended editions are 6.1. I don't know of any DVD's being encoded in 7.1 at this time. Probably won't go to 7.1 until HD DVD's are released in the near future)

Good luck with the new HT!

I also have klf 20's up front. A c7 in the center and rb75s in the rear. So far, no sub. I have no intention of getting one either. My h.t. does double duty as my living room and the placement of a sub would be difficult. Besides which, all the pictures in the house vibrate already without one. I guess what i'm getting at is, with the klf20s, I'd add the other 3 channels and then decide if a sub is needed.

----------------

On 1/2/2005 9:55:25 PM wyattearp wrote:

DrWho,

Have a cheap DVD connected to the TV. There's no good way to connect it to my ancient receiver, thus the receiver shopping. A new DVD/SACD is on the list also. Thanks.

----------------

My Sony DVD/SACD is not the top of the line but well worth the 130$ i paid for it!! Great sound and picture! The model # is in my signature