$7K = Which Processor & Amps..?

Joe Auwen

If you were driving a system with RF-7s, RC-7, KS-525-THXs, RB-75s and RSW-15, and had about $7-8,000.00 to spend on an HT Processor and Amplifiers (separates), what would you get (and why)..?

Room is approx 16' x 20' and is open on one end into the dining room & entry. Sitting position is 12' from speaker fronts. System is now about 70% music & 30% movies.

Thanks,

----------------

On 1/3/2005 4:46:25 PM aauwen wrote:

If you were driving a system with RF-7s, RC-7, KS-525-THXs, RB-75s and RSW-15, and had about $7-8,000.00 to spend on an HT Processor and Amplifiers (separates), what would you get (and why)..?

----------------

$7-8K for seperates? Wow, that should give you plenty of good options.

Personally, I am using B&K gear myself (at least the Ref 200.7 amp), with nearly the same setup (except the surrounds and sub). I really like the very clean, detailed, and dynamic sound I get with the B&K.

Of course, Aragon, which is a Klipsch brand, sounds awesome with the RF-7s as well.

There is also Rotel, Parasound, Sunfire, and a few others that people on here have used with much success with thier Klipsch speakers.

Yeah, tough choice, but I am pretty sure if you go with any of the above mentioned brands, you will not go wrong.

Just out of curiousity, why are you mixing the THX Ultra 2 line with the Reference series? If you're going to be using this system for primarily movies (which it seems like you are) you'd get better performance from an all THX Ultra system. I realize that the 525's are only surrounds, but it is typically desireable to have a system that is 100% timber matched, which is what you would yield from either an all reference system or all THX system, not to mention it won't look goofy 9.gif .

As for seperates, I too would reccomend B&K because I have a preamplifier made by them and I have been satisfied with it. However, with the amount of money your spending things like Krell and Sunfire are also highly acclaimed possibilities.

Just read a good reveiw of the new generation of Sherwood Newcastle separates (less than $ 4000 retail I think).

I have the origonal 5 year old DTS version with only 2 digital inputs and the DACs are sweet.

i am listening to Sirius via DIsh Network optical input and it is really fine.

Then spend the rest of the money on really good DAC or Digital player.

----------------

On 1/3/2005 5:50:10 PM prodj101 wrote:

Just out of curiousity, why are you mixing the THX Ultra 2 line with the Reference series? If you're going to be using this system for primarily movies (which it seems like you are) you'd get better performance from an all THX Ultra system. I realize that the 525's are only surrounds, but it is typically desireable to have a system that is 100% timber matched, which is what you would yield from either an all reference system or all THX system, not to mention it won't look goofy
9.gif

----------------

I had actually ordered the RS-7s and was told by the dealer that they would not be shipping for 30 days. The dealer said that a Klipsch rep had recommended the 525s as an alternate and a good match for the ref 7s. The upgrade price seemed fair so I thought I would try them. They actually fit pretty well, but the RBs will actually be my side surrounds and the 525s the rears.

The processors that I would look at are:

1. Anthem AVM-30

2. B&K Ref. 50s2, not earlier models.

3. Pioneer VSX-55 or 56TXi receivers with outboard amps to get access to i.link for SACD and DVD-A.

4. Used Lexicons, but I'm not the one to specify models as the better Lexicons can get spendy very quickly.

Amps that I would look at are:

1. Sunfire Cinema Grand, they run cool and drive low impedances.

2. B&K Reference amps.

3. Any other amp that can drive 2 ohm loads that has a warm sound such as the Gemstone Blue Diamond or Carver ZR Pro. The Carver is a digital design available only in a 2 channel design.

Bill

PS: The RF-7s dip to around 3 ohms in the bass frequencies. You will hear the differences in amplifiers even if the RF-7s are set as small. B

Thanks for all of the input and thoughts on this. It really will be a tough decision. I will be going to CES this weekend and will look for each of the suggestions you guys made.

My budget may be reduced some as I am going to look at a pair of used Khorns tomorrow... :-)