Just hooked up a new beast of a sub and I'm DONE.

v3spitfire

Just got my Legacy-audio Deep impact hooked up. I tried multiple ways, including just a single cable from the LFE, and then using no sub on the preamp and running everthing to the sub, crossing over to the main amps. I finally settled on something that is absolutely perfect (partly from remembering a blending of mains and sub post response from Deang (thanks!) awhile back, but with a twist).

My LFE out crosses at 100hz, so I used by dbx route selector to enable me to "add or delete" the LFE into the main signal. Essentially one full range stereo signal goes to the main amps (passivley bi-amped) another goes to the sub (but with the ability to add LFE to it if I want). I only add the LFE (thru the dbx) when listening to DVD. When listening to cd/tuner etc, I can now perfectly blend the crossover with the mains especially with CD. I found a point around 70hz that seems perfect for music. The RF7s still get a full signal and probably work to about the low 30s but its blended with the sub now and is truly seemless with cd/tuner. The sub's in the corner, and it sounds like its coming from both speakers - Really amazing (I guess like it should). It took quite a bit a time (I hooked it up 3-4 different ways) before finally finding the right solution - 1.5 days on and off). I am in audio nirvana!

Just fyi on the sub, The deep-impact uses 2 active 12" woofers, both w/20 pound magnet assemblies. One fires to the rear one fires to the front - the manual says it reduces cancellation - whatever the hell that means... Specs:

Resp: 10-170, 22-100 +/- 3db

max Output: 120db at 40hz

alignment: 5th order (no idea what this means)

Amp: 400 watts, high current.

Now and FINAL: Klipsch across the front, 2 full range infinities as surrounds, Legacy sub, HK sig 2.0 preamp/processor, 7 channels of adcomx100 (w/4 of those channels feeding the RF7s!

Sorry so long, Just thrilled to be done and I feel perfect (for me anyway)!

One of my friend's dad has a complete Legacy Audio HT system. It has a very full sound... Even though it wasn't really too loud, it was very full.

Legacy makes some pretty good products, it seems... though they are a tad pricey. At any rate... Enjoy!

v3spitfire

Congrats on the purchase. Looks like a really nice sub. Just curious, since you have the RF-7s, did you look at the RSW15 and if so what were your impressions of the Deep Impact that steered you that way. I never have had to the chance to hear a Legacy product. The speakers look very serious.

I considered the RSW15 as well as the DefTech Supercube Ref. I've just heard that the Legacy Products are built really well and the people I've known that have heard them (all 2 of them) had indicated that it was very musical. I've heard the same thing about the infinity intermezzo, but it didn't have the output for the klipsh. This keeps up as well as the RSW15 in my opinion (which I've heard a lot and like). Nothing steared me away from the klipsch and I had been leaning toward that (though I really wanted a high pass filter on the sub and the dealer and brochure said it was unfiltered). I just had a chance to get this in mint condition and couldn't pass it up. It seems to be built incredibly well - like a tree trunk. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

----------------

the manual says it reduces cancellation - whatever the hell that means...

alignment: 5th order (no idea what this means)

----------------

cancellation: refers to the intersection of waves matching peaks to troughs with the overall sum being a theoretical zero (akin to noise cancelling headsets if you're a pilot or have headphones with active noise cancellation). Multiple drivers reproducing the same frequencies at the same times (or very slightly off due to placement and your listening location and room characteristics) can produce cancellations, but are less common when co-locating these drivers.

5th order: this is usually a bass reflex or bandpass design that is 4th order in nature but with a 1st order crossover to filter those frequencies below it's efficient range. I don't think there is such thing as a sealed 5th order enclosure.

I don't know, the manual just gives the range +/- 3dbs and the max output. So I guess we could assume the worst would be 114dbs at 22hz, but I'm not sure if its as simple as that. I'll try to find out more. For me the best thing I like is that it blends so well with music. Its invisible.