info about this pair of khorns

pete almquist

hi all,

i found the year my horns were manufactured but wonder if anyone can offer a little more information about them. the model is kbwo, ser.# 19x581 which according to the list would have them assembled in 1982. they have a k77m tweeter and k400 squawker. just wondering about crossover type and whether there are upgrades, etc. recommended for them. any info would be fun to know or perhaps someone can direct me to a site that has such info available. do all khorns have what looks like an amplifier inside the cabinet? two coils and various other components mounted on a metal plate along with the terminal board. just curious...

pete

"do all khorns have what looks like an amplifier inside the cabinet? two coils and various other components mounted on a metal plate along with the terminal board"

Congratulations on your Khorns Pete!3.gif

The thing you are describing above is the crossover network. In the right hand corner of the label it will tell you what crossover it is. AA, AK, AL etc.

Let everyone know which it is and we can help you better.

Here is a site for the crossovers that I am using in my Khorns, the ALK:

http://www.alkeng.com/

Rick

Well Pete,

We need a bit more information. '82 - '84 were transition years. Somewhere in there the squawker was changed to a K-55-M (black, made custom by E-V). I'm betting yours have the solder terminal K-55-Vs (grey, made by Atlas) and Type AA crossovers. That is among the best of the component line-up and crossover design. At their age, the crossover caps MAY have deteriorated. Replacing them MIGHT improve the clarity of the sound of your horns.