Rear Surround Opinions Wanted

myram

I am looking into upgrading my rear surround speakers and I would like to get opinions on what people think is the best ones for my system. Since there are no actual rear surround speakers made exclusively for the older line of speakers, I am left to piece together what is available. My fronts are Quartets, center is an Academy, and current rears are KG .5's, with a Denon 1601 receiver(60w X 5). Now my options for new rear surrounds are the following - KSP-S6, RS-3, RS-7, or to keep with the older line of speakers....KG 1's. Or of course I could just keep the KG .5's and be happy, but if there is something better out there....well you know where that is going. LOL

So tell me what you think would be the best choice for my rear surrounds that will be used for nothing buy movies and home theater use.

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - mains for both systems

Klipsch KV3 - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-1601

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Music System:

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

MIT Speaker Cable

RS Gold Interconnects

Monster S-Video and Component Cables

Myram-

Still tweaking huh? Good for you. I still have that pair of KG 1.5s if you are interested. Haven't heard how those compare to the .5s, but I sure like my 2pr of KG 1.2s with Forte IIs front.

BTW, how do you like the Academy/Quartet combo? I upgraded from my KV-3 to a KV-4 several months ago and like the switch (thanks chickey). Never having heard/seen an Academy, I am always wondering...

jhawk

Steve, I am using KG1.5's for the rear surrounds and they sound GREAT! You might want to consider jhawks offer if it's a good one.....They really are NICE speakers!

Take care.......Mike (The Yamaha Underdog)

ChorusII's - Front

Academy - center

KG.5 - front effects (Yamaha receiver)

KG1.5 - rear surrounds

SW12II - sub

Well the Academy will be here Tuesday, tomorrow, and I can't wait. So after I get it installed I will be able to compare the before and after...I'm assuming the difference won't be huge, but enough to make a noticable difference.

As far as my current rear surrounds go, the KG .5's are a good speaker, but I am just looking for other options. Maybe a more efficient speaker, or a dipole....just checking to see if there is a better option or is what I got as good as any other option.

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-1601

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Music System:

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

MIT Speaker Cable

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Myram,

Congrats on the Academy. I expect a full report. Still considering a KV3, but don't expect it will be any different than my KG 2.2V. I'm intrigued that it has a front port vs the rear on the 2.2, which could be an issue since it sits in an enclosed cabinet above my TV which I modified from an existing VCR shelf.

I remember discussing with you a while back on your current rear channel set-up. Both you and I were on the same wavelength at the time, that bigger isn't necessarily better in the rear. I have the KG1's, and I simply love them for what they are being used for. Can't imagine a 1.5, 1.2, or KG1 would make a significant increase in performance over your .5s, but it might??? If you were to go for a change, I would suggest something more drastic. If you are satisfied, keep what you have.

Best wishes,

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

T-man......if you are interested in the KV-3 you can send me a PM and we'll discuss it more.

I'm not sure what to do with the rear surrounds......if I stumble upon a deal or something I can live with I'll make a move...but until then I am going to keep the KG .5s. I would like to find a pair of KG 1's to replace them...that way they are from the same era as my other speakers, and they will have a 6.5" woofer instead of the 5.25".

The obsession never ends...........LOL

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-1601

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Music System:

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

MIT Speaker Cable

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Steve-

Ah, well you will definitely have to tell us all about your new arrival. I noticed a small difference with my upgrade to KV-4 from KV-3, but it might have been bigger if I didn't turn down the output on the Denon 4800 first. Sure enough, just as the specs say, KV-3 sensitivity is 95dB and KV-4 is 96dB and to get the same 75dB on the Rat Shack SPL, I stepped it down about 4dB. I don't know that I could justify upgrading again so soon, but maybe I'll catch your Academy bug and my path will be laid out for me. If anyone is interested in a mint black satin KV-3 (boxes, etc), or a light oak pair of KG 1.5s (also with boxes), LMK.

T-man-

I am kinda with you on the rear speakers. I love my two pair of KG 1.2s, and while I would love another set of Forte IIs, my current situation doesn't have that kind of room. I certainly can't complain with what I have now...