Who has KG4's and what do you use for power?

christjared

Longer ago then I care to admit I had KG4s and Carver separates (CT-17 preamp/tuner and TFM-25) The TFM-25 was more then enough power and they sounded fantastic. There are plenty of TFM-25s that pop up on ebay for around 300 bucks. If you go that route you wont be disappointed. If you are looking for something newI cant help you much.

Good luck, Rich

I have a Nakamichi Receiver 2 that I use to power mine. Never been disappointed. Coincidentally, I am finally upgrading to a home theater system. Does anyone need a pair of KG4's (maple finish) or the aforementioned Nak Receiver 2? Please let me know.

----------------

On 1/10/2005 10:56:41 PM christjared wrote:

I have a pair of KG4's that sound pretty good right now, being powered off of my HK AVR-130, but I still think I could get better sound from them. If you have a pair of these, please tell me what you use to power them. Thank you all.

----------------

Powering mine as surrounds from a Yamaha RX-V2400 right now, but my Chorus II's drown them out. Before I had the Chorus, used to power the KG-4s with a Marantz 2385. Loved it!

I don't have KG-4's, but I think many others have used older twin powered H/K 430's to power them with good results. You can generally buy one of these things off of eBay for anywhere from $20-60. Might be an option if looking for great sound on a very tight budget.

I have a pair of KG4's that I alternate with 3 vintage receivers - H/K 430 , Pioneer SX-1010, and a Marantz 2250.

Honestly you can't go wrong with any of the above. A different sound with each one but they are all sweet. I think the KG4's are a great speaker. I also have a pair of Quartets and there are many times when I prefer the KG4's - depending on my mood and the type of music.

Bob

Wow, KG4's ... one of my all-time favorite little speakers.

I've used:

- McIntosh MC2105 (100WPC): great, but amp overkill

- HK 430: Very, very sweet. All in all, my sonic favorite for a receiver

- Sonic Impact: $23 digital amp: amazing combo with the KG4's. Sonically right up there with the MC2105 and 95% price discount.

I had kg4s powered by an old Kenwood Basic M1, 100 W/channel @8 ohms. The Kg4s couldn't handle the power (I was in college) so I traded them for Fortes. I've had them ever since (1984). In my opinion, there's not much you can do to make KG4's sound really good. I've gone backwards as fast as possible to the true heretige series. Huge improvement. Good luck.