khorn help re codes, please

st. patrick

howdy, i am talking to a guy re 89 (serial numbers start 89...)khorns and he says the codes are KB_WO_HF, which i understand to mean B style with the neck (GOOD), walnut oiled (also good), but what does the HF mean??????????

what type x-overs should these have............and would these have been from the darker period of khorn production ( i have been looking for '76's which, if i got, would perhaps entitle me to join the secret society) ......and yes, i know that any khorn is better than no khorn.....thanks, as always, patrick

Just to upgrade the AK-2s to AK-3 performance. I don't believe that that is too hard, just a capacitor I believe. You could most likely do it yourself with a little guidance from some here who have already done it.

The first step to enjoying Khorns is to get Khorns!!3.gif9.gif

Rick

Patrick,

Don't worry about crossovers or anything else for a couple months after you get your khorns. Just enjoy. There will be plenty of time for tweaking. Problem with tweaking right away is you don't really get a feel for the changes if you aren't intimately familiar with the original sound with all your music. That being said, I waited about a month.9.gif

So is this serious? Have you talked it over with SWMBO?13.gif2.gif

Nevermind. Knowing you, they'll just appear when she gets out of the shower! 6.gif

I have schematics for both the AK-2 & AK-3 at home that I can send. Upgrading the AK-2 to AK-3 performance requires the replacing of three components on each network. You need to remove the two 70uf Aerovox caps in the woofer compartment and change them to a single 100uf or two 50uf's. I used a single 100uf Solen. Then you need to change the midrange coil from a 4mh to a 5mh I used an air core coil that I got from Parts Express.

Lastly, you need to replace the T5A autoformer to the T4A.

The coil and caps I got from Parts Express and the T4A I got from Klipsch parts. It was close to like $200 in parts, the caps and autoformers are pricey. The AK-2 does not sound bad at all, I just wanted to upgrade to AK-3 functionality since most people including the folks at Klipsch consider the AK-2 a dog crossover. You will need some soldering skills to get this accomplished.