rattiest decent sounding system!

jdm56

I was looking for a che...I mean an ~inexpensive~ pair of speakers for our bedroom, so I dropped in our local 'shack and there I spied a dusty pair of boxes for RCA Pro-LX5's. Upon closer inspection, yes, there were speakers in the boxes. "How much for these", I asked the sales dude. While he was checking for a price, I was trying to remember what they listed for new (these are discontinued). I was thinking they were originally about $150-160 a pair, so I figured anything around half would not be a bad deal. "$9.95 each" sales dude called out. "What was that?" I said. "$9.95 each. They're discontinued. Take'em as is." Well, I thought about that for about 1.7 seconds and then said, "I'll take'em". $160 pair of speakers, brand new, for $20. Not too shabby a deal.

I got'em home and set'em up in our bedroom and by golly, ya know they really are pretty good sounding little speakers. They make quite a threesome teamed with my "mother of all subwoofers" (RCA Pro-SW60P). They throw a huge, deep soundstage, what with that Linaeum dipole tweeter (or is it a bipolar?). Heck of a set-up in there: Twenty-year-old Akai 65W integrated amp, Eighteen-year-old Technics Five-CD changer, and a Kenwood tuner that's probably 10 years old or so. And then the speakers - I have a grand total of $100 in them. $80 for the sub and $20 for the speakers, all bought new on sale at the Shack.

So now all you golden-eared klipschaholics, fess up! I wanna hear about your bone-yard systems. You know, the ones thrown together from the reject pile; resurrected from the attics and closets, now doing yeoman duty in offices and bedrooms. Your dirty little secrets, your hidden shame! Bare it all to ol' Dougy! Confession is good for the soul.12.gif

Great post, I got a good chuckle out of it.

How's this.

KLH Model 5's in great shape, I bought them new out of college in '71. Doing home-office in basement duty, driven by Old Sherwood receiver (60WPC, I forget the model number something like 8900 or somesuch..) Sony top loading cassette deck and Dual 1215 Turntable. Ratty old Teac CD player that should be shot! LOL!!

...but the Model 5s still sound pretty nice, with a little mellow jazz.

Guest Anonymous

i just got rid of it a teac stereo reciever witha blown out out channel a broken equilizer and a a busted display with these atec lanscing speakers that were dry rotted and a pioneer cd player that would only read up to the 6th song because the motor wouldn't move past the 6 th track,

The system I built for my daughter consisting of restored Original Advents, a Sherwood 2-channel receiver, and a dirt cheap DVD player -- makes me half sick when I go into her room to chat. The sound I grew up with sounds as a musical as the sound I'm growing old with.

I'm going to go puke now.9.gif

Gramas701,

oooooh, that IS ratty! ...oh btw, repeat after me: i before e, except after c!2.gif9.gif

Dean,

HaHaHa.......uh, i feel your pain, man.

Steve,

A top loading cassette deck? Geez, what a relic!1.gif I haven't sen one of those in years. I used to have a Realistic top-loader myself, about 30 years ago. It was the first "hi-fi" cassette deck I owned, in fact.

Guest Anonymous

it is terrible that i grew up with spell check my whole life so when it comes to spelling if i am not really careful and check all my writing i have no spelling skills, but yes i am college educated, <---(who would have thought?)

that tweeter is a classic, something like 20 years old-

bought Altec Lansings at Goodwill for ten bucks-

got HK 330B for free-

first pair of speaks was ugly rough MDF from Ralph Karsten of Atma-sphere Music - guess amps was easier-

can't type or spell w/o checkers-

----------------

On 1/11/2005 10:43:15 PM jdm56 wrote:

So now all you golden-eared klipschaholics, fess up! I wanna hear about your bone-yard systems. You know, the ones thrown together from the reject pile; resurrected from the attics and closets, now doing yeoman duty in offices and bedrooms. Your dirty little secrets, your hidden shame! Bare it all to ol' Dougy! Confession is good for the soul.
12.gif

----------------

Got a pair of old Pioneer CS-99A speakers in excellent shape for free. One of my co-workers had them and was about to throw them away. He asked me if I wanted them, so I took them. I hooked them up to my old Yamaha R-V702 pro-logic reciever, and they sounded really good. I was sure impressed. Plus, I could not let a perfectly good pair of speakers meet a bad fate like that.

Also, for my truck, I scored a pair of Boston Acoustic CX4e's for $9/pair brand-new. In fact, I got a second pair as spares. These are normally $90+/pair speakers, and actually sound quite good. I also got a cheap but decent Clarion CD player head-unit for the truck, and a small JBL sub (10-inch W0 model), and a 375 watt Alpine amp. Nice sounding system for only a couple hundred bucks, to replace the old and broken Sony system that was in there before.

I've got three such systems. In the bedroom I have a pair of Pro-Media sat's which I dynamatted and added binding posts hooked to an older Technics surround reciever with a built in 100 watt sub-amp and a "closeout" Rat Shack 12" downfiring sub. Not bad really.

In my wifes quilting room I have a pair of older ('80s) B&W 2 ways, the sub and plate amp from a Pro-Media 5.1 system and a Pioneer 563 SACD. In my wifes office I have a Technics 5.1 reciever with an Infinity sub/sat surround system. She likes them.2.gif1.gif11.gif

Rick

Great post!

Personally, I'm still working on my first system... But I visited a friend the other day who had passed his stereo setup to his son. What a sad waste. He had a BEAUTIFUL pair of MC-30's with a 110 (I believe) as the pre. They were hooked up to an old pair of Snells (don't know the model.)

It was sad enough that a bad cd of Terence Trent D'Arby (remember him?) was playing, and what's worse was it was playing in an old Pioneer Laser Disc Player (remember those?) 7.gif

Tips on how to convince my friend to pass on the electronics (minus the LD player, of course) to someone who would appreciate them more? 16.gif

-F

I sometimes think I get about as much pleasure from some low-res rigs that have absolutely no snob appeal, but somehow still sound enjoyable. Maybe not too accurate, but enjoyable. Sometimes, in light of all the crappy recordings of good music out there, low-rez can be a good thing! Plus, I think our expectations are so much lower of these "thrown-together" systems, that it makes it easier to enjoy them without being so critical.

...of coure, all the preceeding goes right out the window when I sit down in front of "the good stuff", fire up some really good-sounding tunes and proceed to be transported to another space and time! 1.gif

I agree about the cheapo systems being enjoyable. I really miss my old cerwin vegas at times. vs 150 I think was the model number,purchased in the late 80's. I had them for almost fifteen yrs., before giving them to a neighbor. They always sounded good,not great, but a solid good on everything. Not to mention bulletproof. Funny thing is, my neighbor whom I gave them to has changed out the mids and tweeters with ones he purchased online, and damn do those things sound pretty incredible. Not Klipsch kind of incredible mind you, but really good none the less.

Before I sent out my Fisher X-100 for a forum member to audition, my basement system was comprised of the said Fisher which I kept after the guy who let me audition it sold me some bad tubes. The rest of the system uses my '72 zebra heresys which I bought cheap and were beautifully restored (by forum member Greg) and an open-box Technics 5 disc CD player. Other stuff is sitting in boxes or shoved in corners. I could probably throw together a couple more systems in a pinch.

BTW - I don't know how to use spell-check while on the forum.15.gif