Anybody Upconverting to 720p or better?

Rudy81

I was wondering if any of you are upconverting your 480p to 720p via an HDMI or DVI interface. If so, can you tell me if it is worth the cost of the cable. In my case, it is a long cable to my projector, so the cost is close to $200 with shipping.

Griff,

Then you must not have looked at very many. White or black crush is only an issue with only a few of the many units out there now, notibly the Samsungs. Macroblocking on Froudja DCDi equipped units is a more universal problem. Only early Zenith 318 upsampled through component, before the consortium stepped in and made Zenith change that.

Rudy,

However, to answer the orignial question, my answer is emphatically yes, it IS worth the cost of the cable. Relatively inexpensive upscaling DVD players today do a damn good job, albeit not as good as a good outboard processors such as the DVDO. The problem is that outboard processors cost a bunch more than these players do. The good part of an outboard processor is that it can upscale anything from a VCR to a Sat receiver to a DVD player.

Also, a good cable is an investment that you can use for your next upscaling player. Current players will only upscale through DVI/HDMI and not through component.

I currently own a $200 Oppo DV971 that does a very credible job at 720p and 1080i with my monitor. It does such a good job that I'm not embarrassed to match that player up with the rest of my gear which is worth 15 grand.

Jerry Rappaport

----------------

On 1/14/2005 8:22:20 PM JewishAMerPrince wrote:

Griff,

Then you must not have looked at very many. White or black crush is only an issue with only a few of the many units out there now, notibly the Samsungs. Macroblocking on Froudja DCDi equipped units is a more universal problem. Only early Zenith 318 upsampled through component, before the consortium stepped in and made Zenith change that.

----------------

No need to educate me on the 318. I am initmately familiar with that unit, as I sold several to forum members before the announcement that the component upsampling was going to be "fixed"....

What other upsampling units are out there that I've missed?

I'm using the Sony 975 upscaler into a Sony LCD RP through the hdmi connection at 720p or 1080p, depending. Very good picture, very good indeed. Compared to using the component connection fine detail is better on test patterns though truth be told there isn't much of a difference to see watching movies, this machine looks good used either way.

I suppose it's an excellent machine from the get-go. In any case this player-machine combination has less digital noise and artifacts than any setup I've seen so far. The noise and wormy artifacts are what kept me away from digital TVs.

Guest Anonymous

jerry i first would like to compliment you on your system, it is very impressive, but i personally would be a bit more embarrassed with that cdpcx355 cd changer that you have over your dvd player...

i'm just giving you a hard time though... but i couldn't help it hehehe

• 5 months later...

----------------

On 6/19/2005 9:40:27 AM dougdrake wrote:

Resurrecting an old post, cuz I'm confused (so what else is new)...

What's the benefit of upconverting to 720p in a DVD player? Wouldn't my 720p native resolution PJ do that anyway, if passed a 480p/480i signal?

----------------

In some cases, the DVD player's upscaling may be better and have less artifacts than the tv/projector. If you feed it a 720p signal, then the internal upscaler is bypassed.

Lurch - So, not necessarily a benefit, depends on the scaler quality, eh? Sort of like doing the Dolby decoding in the DVD player or in the AVR?

I guess I have a hard time thinking that an upscaler in a $150 DVD player is going to do a better job than one in a 720p native PJ, given that while you can get one for not TOO much money, you're still spending a reasonable amount of money to get one capable of 720p native as compared to the cost of these DVD players.

----------------

On 1/16/2005 2:47:36 PM Gramas701 wrote:

jerry i first would like to compliment you on your system, it is very impressive, but i personally would be a bit more embarrassed with that cdpcx355 cd changer that you have over your dvd player...

i'm just giving you a hard time though... but i couldn't help it hehehe

----------------

See what ya made me do...after that comment I just had to go out and spend $1800 on a Shanling CDT100.

Rudy.. I will answer you very simply.. YES

I also have the Samsung DVD player 931.... On a Samsung 61" HDTV.

(Stay away from the 841... Original ones had problems. They have new HD DVD players on the market this month. 940 950??? Models that also look fantastic.)

Everyone who sees it on my HDTV thinks it is High Def.. Depending on the movie, as always is the case, I tend to agree. Just incredible!

Most people do need to calibrate their systems. I highly reccomend the Ovation Software DVD the "Sound And Vision & Home Theater Tune Up." Worth every penny to get the most out of your HDTV. There are others like this of course but many "techs" use almost the same thing and charge you 500 to do this for your system and you want your audio and vedio to be at their best too.

Well, I went a different route and am quite happy with it. I used a pc as a HTPC. I feed the signal to my projector via a SVGA cable. I am outputting the signal at the pc in the projectors native 1280 x 720 format and I have not looked back. The picture is awesome, clear, bright and has no artifacts. I had hooked up my cheaper DVD player and the picture was terrible, pixilation and artifacts everywhere.

This is the route many of the people on the HT boards are taking, which is where I found out about the process. If you have a pc (and if you are reading this post, you probably do) give it a try, you have nothing to loose and quite a bit to gain. Not to mention when blueray and others finally make mainstream, the upgrade is an inexpensive drive for your pc, not a multi thousand dollar player.