BAD ebay experience...

SilverSport

If you paid for the item through PayPal and PayPal Buyer Protection was shown on the item listing, you should be covered. Read the Buyer Protection Policy on the PayPal site. One of the conditions covered is item condition significantly different than listed. Hopefully you paid with a credit card. Initiate a charge back immediately if you did.

IIWY I would escalate the issue at PayPal. Contact them in writing detailing your experience, the condition of the item (with photos), and quote them their own policy. It might get the ball rolling. Sometimes the best intentioned folks just get something wrong and management is happy to correct the error.

FWIW PayPal Buyer Protection does pay off, at least sometimes. I bought some items which did not show up. Seller claimed they were shipped but could provide no evidence they were. PayPal refunded to my credit card account and took it out of the seller's PayPal account. It did take a while though. Had to wait 30 days to file. Then it took nearly another 30 days until the refund. I initiated a charge back with my credit card company, too, just in case.

Malcom:

I appreciate that but...you got money back from PayPal because you never got anything...had I not gotten anything then I too would be reimbursed...however becasue I got SOMETHING, they say their only obligation is to see the transaction completed...their feeling is...transaction was completed when I got a used, damaged, missing, broken speaker even though it was advertised as NIB...as for the payment, well it was through my PayPal funds directly from my account...no way to recover them and paypal will here no more...they told me to contact ebay...ebay says they will do everything in their power to cover their own assets...I am out of luck, quit whining and take my medicine like a good little boy!2.gif9.gif

Anyway...I have not lost faith completly as my surrounds arrived and were damaged by the USPS...I emailed the seller just to let him know and to see if there was any insurance...wasn't any but the seller renewed my faith when he apologized for shipping them without packing them better and offered to refund me some money to make me happy! I didn't even ask him for any money and had already given him good feedback...anyway, his gesture had me reply to him that he made my day with his kind offer and for him to keep his money...(just as easy to repair 3 speakers as 1, right and it's not as bad as the "new" speaker and I knew in this case I was buying "used.")

Anyway, thanks for the advice and good thoughts...

Bill

----------------

On 1/15/2005 9:59:25 AM silversport wrote:

They do and so does ebay...both refuse to give it to me because of "privacy issues." I think after I called him a fraud, liar, cheat and thief, the odds are that he won't do anything for me...course he wouldn't do anything for me before either...

Bill

----------------

Hey Silver:

eBay policy is to be able to get contact information to try and settle disputes.

Unless they've changed.

A speaker like that could be overlooked in a warehouse.

Square trade only works if both sides agree. End run to get money.

Be safe,

dodger

Ebay responded with Mr. Mark Holmes phone number and address...I just gave the number a call and after 4 rings, I got an answering machine...said it was Mark Holmes...left message on how we might be able to resolve this and left my phone number...what do you think the odds are that I'll hear from him???

I also tried to file the complaint of "significantly different than described" that ebay requires you wait 10 days to do...today, 1-16 is just after the 10th day and ...my complaint was forwarded to paypal and rejected as already solved (to whose satisfaction?) and will not be dealt with further...what a waste.

Bill

So you discovered the dark side of EBay! Sorry to hear it! But you have gotten off relatively easily!

Before you listen to everyone's common sense replies such as charge backs etc., you need to go back and read the user agreement you accepted when you decided to use PayPal! You agreed to negate the charge-back feature. You can return the merchandise via a trackable service such as UPS or FedEx, but it does not guarantee the seller will receive it, and youare still at the discretion of PayPal.

Now you have just one idea of why you see so many "No PayPal" logos! But you haven't discovered the other insidious problems with their service!

For more in depth information go to the legitimate site www.paypalsucks.com - and yes it is VERY legitimate - for more infor and to meet LOTS of folks who found out the hard way long before you did!

For any high dollar item, especially if it is electronic, I would suggest that you enter into an agreement with the seller in writing PRIOR to placing a bid to use a LEGITIMATE escrow service (and there are TOO many bogus ones out there!) such as www.escrow.com . Their service is great, it generally costs ~$50 that you can negotiate to split with the seller, and it protects both you and the seller equally. It insures that you receive the merchandise and that it meets your approval before funds are released. If it does not meet your approval you may send the merchadise back and get your money back. But check out the site for all the details! I now use this service exclusively for high dollar fragile equipment and couldn't be happier. And I consider PayPal's and EBay's 'protection' policies to be worthless! Been there too many times!

Good luck with your claim, but you are at the mercy of the seller, as I would not expect any grand settlement from EBay or PayPal! There is simply too much precedent against you. And threatening letters - after you read the Paypal sucks website you will realize that your letter is not going to set anyone at PayPal shaking!

But good luck! And may I suggest all use the escrow.com service. It protects seller and buyer equally and insures that you do indeed get what you thought you ordered - and if not, you have real recourse!

Welcome to the "No Paypal" club! (And you need to read how sellers are liable to be screwed even more severely if someone else misuses a credit card paying them! - with no recourse - but I won't spoil the surprise! You will just have to vist the website! Perhaps then you will appreciate the "No Paypal" logos and see them as your 'friend' rather than a hassle! Use www.escrow.com!

I certainly do...it seems that neither PayPal nor Ebay will do anything for me...and why should they, I'm just a "customer" while audiophileoutlet is a card carrying "member" of the "ebay community" with an ebay store and everything...I am sure Mark Holmes contributes more to ebay then I ever would (...I am sure that's the case from now on!)

Their guarantees mean nothing, their words mean nothing, their promises mean nothing...I think the ONLY reason they keep answering me (PayPal doesn't) is becasue I have been civil to them and they know I won't get a thing more...

Thanks REALLY for the advice and kind words...I think I will stay within the "community" from now on.

Bill