RSW-15 problems...

Joe Shmoe

I talked my cousin into getting a Klipsch Home Theater package (RF-7 based) & now he seems to be having trouble with the sub.

The RSW-15 seemed to be working fine for about a day or two before he went on vacation. Once he returned the sub started making noise. I thought it was just a ground loop issue from what I have read on previous posts. Tonight I was actually there to witness it myself & I am not sure that it has anything to do with the ground at all.

When plugged into the wall only, no cables or anything, the sub is making a thumping noise. It starts out very noticable & then gets a little quieter. I didn't have a clue what it was from so I told him I would post it here before contacting Klipsch directly.

Well I don't have anything to offer in answer form but it sure seems there are too many RSW problems lately.

As someone else posted in another RSW-15 problem thread who knows what percentage of total owners are having these problems but it seems to me it is too many.

Hopefully Klipsch can get this problem fixed and fixed quickly.

Yea, they sure don't have good luck when it comes to subs. Back when I purchased my stuff the LF series was having a bunch of problems so I was forced to go another route.

The RSW-15 does get good reviews though... as soon as my cousin figures out what's wrong, I am sure it will be awesome, it's just a bummer to have to get it fixed (if need be)

Man, another Reference sub with the blues. About the only thing I can think to do is try the sub in another socket. If it has the same issues, take it back to the dealer (you did recomend he buy from a dealer didn't you?). It sounds like a warranty issue. Good luck and keep us informed.

Sounds to me like you are runnig into some feedbak of some type. Try connectin with a grounding plug, and I would also suggest that the unit is plugged into some type of surge protectoin with good noise filtering, such as the products that Monster makes. I know when I started getting into the larger subs with the big engines I had hums and thumps. I eventully went to the Monster line conditioner and Voltage regulator and have not had a problem since with either of my RSW-15's. Something to consider. I would hate for you to go through the trouble of returning the sub, and get another one home and it has the same problem. Try to eleminate interferance first, and if that does not work you still need to do it anyway for all your components. I purchased my RSW's when they first hit the market a couple of years ago, and i am pleased to say I have not had anything but very good sound quality, and performance out of both. Long live the RSW-15 its a nice piece.

• Klipsch Employees

I sounds like you may have a problem with the sub.

If the sub is under warranty, the suggestion is to take it back to the dealer.

If not under warranty, and you want to check things out your self, the only thing that comes to mind is a ground wire inside on the amp.

There should be a ground wire that runs from the input board to the lowpass filter control "pot". If that has come off, then you may have some grounding problems.

You can send the system back to us for repair if need be.

Just contact the tech support dept and start the paperwork.

Guest Deon Bearden

First try the process of ellimination.

Plug the subwoofer in to different outlets, in different rooms under the same conditions that caused it to thump origionally.

If it no longer thumps, the issue is with that outlet / set-up.

If it still thumps, then the issue is with the subwoofer. Return it for warranty repairs, and accept our humblest appologies.