Analogue guys - Cheap tweak of the week!

JBryan

I came across a discussion the other week where someone suggested using a "Swifter" cloth to remove dust from records. I'm just cheap enough to think it'd be worth a shot.

Well, I can tell you that it works! Now, its not going to magically clean years of accumulated crud off vinyl but I am amazed how good a job it does removing surface dust from reasonably clean LPs.

I also have found it very adept at cleaning dirt and dust off of records prior to cleaning - or in the case of really dirty records, before using the carbon-bristle brush. The "Swifter" claims to have an electrostatic charge. I can't find the same claim on the generic cloths or I'd recommend them as a cheaper alternative but for a few cents, these are a no-brainer.

I often use it in place of the carbon brush - lightly swiping the spinning record after I zap it and just before lowering the needle and viola! - NO dust. Before cleaning, I do the same on the VPI cleaner or if the record is really dirty, I may do it a second or third time - lightly, before applying the cleaner.

Try it guys - its CHEAP and quite effective.

Back to work -Bryan

Randy,

SWIFTER is a brand of disposable dust cloth. It uses deep ridges in a soft cloth (doesn't scratch vinyl). You can find a box of 16 for $4 at most any grocery or discount store. Its an unscented dry cloth so I doubt that it has any nasty chemicals in it - we'll have to see if any records dissolve.

It says that the sheets are "electrostatically-charged" on the box and it seems to attract dust better than my off-brand cloths but ...who knows where the hype starts?

Have fun -Bryan

I was told by a few folks around here that using rubbing alcohol and destilled water is one of the best way of cleaning your LPs. And of course cloth that does not leave lint. 2.gif must be use to wipe it off. That would be 1 part rubbing alcohol and 10 parts distilled water (Make sure it's distilled water).1.gif WORKS GREAT FOR ME1.gif

----------------

On 1/19/2005 11:45:59 AM RAPTORMAN wrote:

I was told by a few folks around here that using rubbing alcohol and destilled water is one of the best way of cleaning your LPs. And of course cloth that does not leave lint.
2.gif
must be use to wipe it off. That would be 1 part rubbing alcohol and 10 parts distilled water (Make sure it's distilled water).
1.gif
WORKS GREAT FOR ME
1.gif

----------------

NEVER USE RUBBING ALCHOHOL to clean your vinyl records!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rubbing alchohol should not be confused with Isopropyl alchohol. Rubbing alchohol usually has only about 70% Isopropyl in it. It has many "impurities" and contaminants in it that can damage your records. It even has some oils in it (for the rubbing part). If you want to alchohol use 100% pure Isopropyl or (like me) something like Smirnoff Silver (100 proof). Smirnoff Silver has just the right amount of cleaning power for vinyl and its very purified, distilled three (maybe 4?) times. Even distilled water has many impurities in it & IMHO should not be used either.

NEVER USE RUBBING ALCHOHOL to clean your vinyl records!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rubbing alchohol should not be confused with Isopropyl alchohol. Rubbing alchohol usually has only about 70% Isopropyl in it. It has many "impurities" and contaminants in it that can damage your records. It even has some oils in it (for the rubbing part). If you want to alchohol use 100% pure Isopropyl or (like me) something like Smirnoff Silver (100 proof). Smirnoff Silver has just the right amount of cleaning power for vinyl and its very purified, distilled three (maybe 4?) times. Even distilled water has many impurities in it & IMHO should not be used either.

Thanks Artto. Just to make sure about your suggestion--Smirnoff Silver plus 4 times distilled water--or straight out Smirnoff Silver. Any other suggestions??? I can always go to local TT dealer and buy the cleaning solvent they have, but they charge like 20.00/100ml.

6.gif

Rubbing Alcohol is bad... it strips vinyl of oils and will do a lot of damage over time. Many folks don't like to use any alcohol but a very pure "lab-grade" isopropyl is a fair compromise. You can get it from chemical, medical or laboratory supply companies. While you're at it, get some ultra-purified de-ionized distilled water (also "lab-grade" - a much cleaner alternative to the stuff you get at the grocery store.

The Disc Doctors Miracle Wash doesn't use alcohol and it does a respectable job but its pretty expensive compared to homebrew. A pretty good recipe is 75% distilled water, 25% isopropyl alcohol and a drop or two of Triton X-115 from Rohm-Haas or a similar surfactant - NOT Kodak's Photo-flo!

Vodka contains ethyl alcohol which is worse on vinyl than isopropyl but lots of folks like it because of its purity. There's always a trade-off.

Have fun -Bryan

Bryan,

I've been also using these products for a few months and they are excellent. I have used "Swiffer duster" (with the handle) as well as "Pledge Grab it statik" and they both work great. One swipe of the record before playing and all the dust is gone. One more thing, make sure you get the "dry unscented" ones. These ones do not seem to have any chemicals in them.

Kudret

----------------

On 1/19/2005 6:23:19 PM JBryan wrote:

Rubbing Alcohol is bad... it strips vinyl of oils and will do a lot of damage over time. Many folks don't like to use any alcohol but a very pure "lab-grade" isopropyl is a fair compromise. You can get it from chemical, medical or laboratory supply companies. While you're at it, get some ultra-purified de-ionized distilled water (also "lab-grade" - a much cleaner alternative to the stuff you get at the grocery store.

The Disc Doctors Miracle Wash doesn't use alcohol and it does a respectable job but its pretty expensive compared to homebrew. A pretty good recipe is 75% distilled water, 25% isopropyl alcohol and a drop or two of Triton X-115 from Rohm-Haas or a similar surfactant - NOT Kodak's Photo-flo!

Vodka contains ethyl alcohol which is worse on vinyl than isopropyl but lots of folks like it because of its purity. There's always a trade-off.

Have fun -Bryan

----------------

I don't understand, isopropyl is "bad" but "lab grade isopropyl is a "fair compromise"? Please explain.

You recommend Triton X-115 over Kodak's Photo-Flo. I invite you to elaborate with regards to X-115's superiority, or to the Kodak product's lack of suitability for this purpose.

After the initial scrub/washing of dirty records with an alcohol containing solution I perform subsequent washings of "clean" records with straight distilled water. Please elaborate regarding the "lot of damage" cleaning with alcohol will induce.

An inquiring mind,

Analogman

----------------

On 1/19/2005 7:27:09 PM analogman wrote:

NEVER wipe an LP with anything DRY except a carbon fiber brush or your stylus. The sleeves they reside in are obviously unavoidable.

As always,

Analogman
----------------

I gotta go along with that. You ever seen that lady zipping around the kitchen floor with that Swifter? I wouldn't trust those things near my records simply because of those ads? I've lost all respect for DEVO.

Carbon Fiber brushes are only $25 at most. They've got to last as long as a few cases of swifters.