sound valves vtp 101i, tube pre-amp???

joessportster

Joe,

Sound Valves made some great stuff for the money. They went out of business a few years ago. They were selling parts for Dynacos, and even had their own 35 wpc EL34 amp. American made if it means anything to you. Solid gear.

Marvel

The control center for my modest home movie and music reproduction system is a vintage Dynaco PAS 3, series II, tube pre-amplifier by Panor Corp. At one point Sound Valves was selling a vintage Dynaco PAS 3, series II, tube pre-amplifier by Panor Corp. pre-amplifier model, then they offered their one, which was supposed to be an upgraded version of the original. Supposedly a hell of a tube amplifier for the money. You might consider having somebody like Craig at NOSvalaves.com (a frequent Klipsch poster) doing a refurbish job and an upgrade somewhere down the road. Old tube equipment wears out slowly, so the quality degrades without warning or notice, whereas solid-state simply quits.

I think the PAS 3 is a sweet little and versatile amplifier, with most sensitive loudspeakers I seriously auditioned, in my own home, with the same music and equipment, for EnjoyTheMusic.com, as well as big ole horns, but especially classic Klipsch corner Khorns. I have to say I certainly prefer the vintage PAS 3 over a simple attenuator, a NAD 1020, or most other solid-state receivers. The exception are the Pass X250 super-amplifier and my free 70s vintage harmon/kardon solid-state single-transformer 330B (or its twin-transformer versions, the 430, etc.) receiver. I am playing with a Behringer UltraCurve pro EQ, and when I get it set-up, I may send mine away for upgrading. I certainly think a refurbished PAS 3 is a remarkable tube pre-amplifier, especially for the $150 to $300 pittance they sell for recently on eBay.

PS and there is this review, though Sound Valves is no more:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_3_3/v3n3m.html

9.gif

sounds like i scored a good deal, i will up date you when i get the thing and i hope it does all i have heard it will, i did read a couple reviews that said changeing the tubes for better ones would give better sound how would a person go about finding the right tubes and buying them(first piece of tube gear i have ever bought thanks for all the info Joe

• 2 weeks later...

well she finally arrived yesterday and aftera marathon session i can say it beats my phase linear 2000 pretty handily, volume is infinately louder, sound is much clearer, i have heard that tubes sound muddy? not so with this pre-amp, listened to some elo, joe walsh the confessor, even some mike auldridge dobro on lp, and some queen and clapton unplugged on the cd, everything was much clearer and the volume on the cds is unbeleiveable cant take the knob past the 7 oclock posistion, for albums the volume can go around the 9 oclock and be at a decent level, i have to admit i didnt find the sound any more mellow as is always touted with tubes, just cleaner and LOUDER all in all i would say this is a great little pre for the money and if your on a budget like me (check to check) you wont be dissapointed Joe