Can't believe what I did today......

myram

I went out to my 2 local Klipsch dealers to see what was new and if they had any used older speakers laying around. As I am looking around I see that they are dropping the price on all the Denon "01" series receivers to make room for the new "02" series. So I asked the salesman if he had anymore of the 3801's around, but he said that they were all gone as were the 4800's. So I move on to another room and there sits a 4800, the last one in the store. It has been marked down from $1999 to $998.......so I thought about it, talked it over, and thought some more.

Well to make a long story short......it now sits in the place my 1601 was in. What a beast of a receiver this thing is.....I really haven't had time to play with it much but I can't wait.

And on another note......my "new" Academy showed up today in perfect condition (UPS shipping) and is all hooked up and ready to go.

Just had to share my new additions.....I'm still in shock over the new receiver.

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - mains for both systems

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Music System:

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

MIT Speaker Cable

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Monster S-Video and Component Cables

Steve-

Wow, you are quite a lucky guy as of late. That's the receiver that I have and love it. Now all you have to do is find the companion POA-5200 and a couple more speakers and you'll be rocking with 7-ch sound! (You know where you can get a set... Smile.gif )

I think we are all interested in your thoughts on the Academy. Let us know!

Wow Steve! I thought I got a pretty good deal getting mine for $1300 but you got a steal! Smile.gif I've been tinkering with mine for a month now but I love it! Let us know what you think of it when you get a chance...

Mike

------------------

Family Room

-----------

Mitsubishi 31" TV (soon to be replaced)

Denon 4800 AVR

Panasonic DVD-A7

Dual CS-721 Turntable

DBX 3bx Series III Range Expander

Klipsch Epic CF-2's (mains)

Klipsch KLF-C7 (center)

Klipsch RS-3's (surrounds)

SVS 20-39CS Sub w/Samson S700 Amp

Monster HTS-3500 Line Conditioner

Bedroom

-------

Yamaha M-4 Amp

Yamaha C-4 Preamp

Yamaha T-7 Tuner

Teac DVD Player

Looking for a pair of Heresy's

I forgot to add that he also threw in a 5 year "bumper to bumper" warranty for free since it was a floor model.

I can't wait to crank it up, I have it all set up, all the speakers are tuned in to 75 db, and my "new" Academy is waiting to be played with too.

I really wanted a 3801 since it was cheaper.....but when he threw the 4800 deal at me I had to have it. And now with the power of the 4800, I am debating selling my Adcom and NAD setup that I am using for 2 ch. stereo.

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Music System:

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

MIT Speaker Cable

RS HT Gold Interconnects

That's great! What are the specs on the Adcom and the NAD? I'm looking for a 2-channel amp as well to drive my CF-3's or CF-4's (if I can ever find a pair) whenever I get them. I've been looking at the Denon 2400 and 2800. They are both 200x2 and are Class A up to a couple of watts (not sure about this). They have been going for $300 - $450 out on Ebay...I just missed getting the last one. Frown.gif I believe these units were sold in the earlt to mid 90's.

BTW, I saw where you were looking for some stuff out on AudiogoN and see you found your Academy center channel you were looking for. I have been looking for some Epics for quite a while now and was wondering if there were some other places on the net I should be checking. I'm also aware of Ebay and Audio Review and Audioshopper...

Thanks,

Mike

Edit - I forgot to mention - my girlfriend is from Rockland. How far is that from Biddeford?

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 08-15-2001 at 03:07 PM

Mike the POA-2800 is nice,I have 2 running a 4ohm load.

This is from the flyer on the 2800,"Thanks also to Denon's new Optical Class A operation,mid to low-level signals are amplified entirely in Class A to bring out the delicate nuances present especially in the low-level signals from digital audio sources such as CD."

200 into 8 ohms @ 0.01.Dynamic power 450 X 2@4 ohm,630 X 2@2ohms,770 X 2@1ohm.I have driven 2 ohm loads and just barely got warm.

I love them and got them both from ebay sources @ $300 each.Keep looking

If you call Denonand ask them(leave message)to fax you a copy of the 2800 flyer.That's the only way to get one,they have it on file.Mine is not good enough to scan and send.

Steve

Mike.....

I'm not sure what I am going to do with the Adcom and NAD....I really hate to sell them but they aren't getting much use, and I could use them to finance the 4800.

The Adcom is rated at 200 wpc and is rock solid. It has the Musical Concepts modifications done to it, which at that time was a $400 option.

Rockland is about 2 hours from here, north up US rte. 1.

Check out Yahoo classifieds, Classified2000, Audioweb, Audiogon, Audioreview, eBay, and Auctionwatch....those are my usual looking spots.

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Music System:

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

MIT Speaker Cable

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Steve -

FWIW, I recently added a 2801 to my system to replace an old Yamaha processor/amp that died. My original intention was to use the 2801's preouts to drive a 2 ch. Adcom GFA-545 II. Unfortunately, in that configuration, 2 ch. stereo sounded flat and constrained compared to using my Onkyo P-304 preamp. I now have a switchbox setup to select the Onkyo/Adcom for 2 ch. and the Denon/Adcom for HT. Granted the 2801 isn't a 4800, but you might want to keep that in mind when doing your listening tests.

Cheers.

If anyone has a Denon POA5200 that they would want to trade for an Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts modified amp......send me an email or PM.

If I was to sell the Adcom outright.....the asking price would be $500 + Shipping.

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Music System: