Chorus II's have TOO MUCH bass?

kenratboy

I love them to death, but it does seem like they have a LOT of bass (as in, like a subwoofer, but sometimes, almost too much bass, better than too little!!!)

What are the setup tricks? Pull them out 2-3 feet from the wall? Something else?

Is it possible the source (receiver/amp) could be designed for less efficent speakers and for whatever reason, it is sending too much bass/out of wack with the system? They have not been hooked up to a proper source.

I still need to get my nice integrated amp and see what happens 2.gif

Take a look at the bass and treble controls on your receiver. The bass may be boosted.

The Chorus IIs aren't supposed to go below 40 Hz, but your room may be helping them. It is easier to reduce bass output than it is to increase it in most cases. Count yourself lucky.

Bill

Try different placement in the room. It may not be that you have TOO much bass, but that certain frequencies are boosted due to the room. If this is the case, you might find that even putting them tighter against a wall or in a corner could CHANGE the sound more to your liking.

What kind of speaker wire are you using? You might try something different there too.

Too much bass is really not a bad problem to have. You just need to tame it.

This may be obvious, but are the mids and tweets working on both speakers?

Greg

----------------

On 1/27/2005 6:33:08 AM greg928s4 wrote:

This may be obvious, but are the mids and tweets working on both speakers?

Greg

----------------

I agree, when something like that happens, for some reason the most obvious is often the last thing checked. Proper polarity is another one.

It never fails, that we find things that are lost, in the last place we look.

Not to put a fine point on it, but the first time I heared the Fortes, well, the bass was overwhelming.

Then I remembered, that's what music sounds like. ^.^ You're *supposed* to feel the bass guitar. You're *supposed* to feel the *whack* of a kick drum.

The orchestral string bass is supposed to make your head buzz. ^.^

I still hve a nasty bump (+10db!) at 50hz, but that's the room.

Now you know why no one ever accuses most Klipsch of being 'bass-shy' ;o)

PWK was on a bender to capture the sound of an orchestra. Oh brother, wait till you hear an orchestral bass drum through these... 3.gif

I would wager that you've never heard good solid bass before and what you percieve as too much is really just lower extension than you're accustomed to hearing. If you've got some old speakers laying around the house, plug them in and listen for a bit and then go back to the Chorus II's. I'll bet the "too much" bass will sound a ton cleaner and you won't look back.

If you're still not sure, then I would suggest pulling out an SPL meter and some test tones and get an idea of what's going on. Generally, people don't notice that they have their bass cranked up +20dB or even +40dB. I can't imagine ever having too much. Does the music sound muddy?

DrWho:

No, the sound is crisp, clear, and clean.

You are probably right about never feeling/hearing the bass before. It sounds good, but very different. I am used to speakers not having much bass output, and subwoofers adding that 'thump' (looking at REL's for my bedroom 9.gif )

----------------

On 1/27/2005 5:12:10 PM DrWho wrote:

I would wager that you've never heard good solid bass before and what you percieve as too much is really just lower extension than you're accustomed to hearing. If you've got some old speakers laying around the house, plug them in and listen for a bit and then go back to the Chorus II's. I'll bet the "too much" bass will sound a ton cleaner and you won't look back.

If you're still not sure, then I would suggest pulling out an SPL meter and some test tones and get an idea of what's going on. Generally, people don't notice that they have their bass cranked up +20dB or even +40dB. I can't imagine ever having too much. Does the music sound muddy?

----------------

What the Doctor said.

Terry