Portable TT, have you seen anything like this?

Kudret

This would be the perfect thing to take along when shopping for old LPs. Seriously, I have seen collectors in shops with little portable players they use to audition "unknown" lps (with permission from the proprietor). I have also seen collectors in stores who wear gloves, fear of germs, I guess.

I used to think it would be a cool thing since my method is just to buy the LPs sometimes without knowing what I am getting, a much less economical approach resulting in a small percentage of mistakes.

There are still stores which let you audition LPs on TTs they provide, but those are very few these days. In stores which provide TTs, I have sometimes rejected 50%+ of the stack of possibilities I casually brought up for auditioning.

I have always been an adventurer and explorer with the hundreds of thousands of unknown LPs out there, trying to uncover exciting music that is unknown (to me), forgotten, or otherwise obscure. When no TT is available in the store, I have to be much more cautious, unless things are so cheap (like 25 cent thrift store prices--where the rule is simply to buy if condition is VG+ or better).

If you had a portable TT with headphones and you had permission, this could be a way to audition unknown LPs or perhaps screen for LPs that, although look good, have hlidden condition flaws. Some stores might refuse you the right to audition, hopefully offering a guarantee instead, right. Few do this. Most collectors are buying things they already know about, so auditioning may not be necessary because visual grading is available. I would say that there is a 20% or more chance that visual grading can be misleading regarding actual sonics. I have had NM LPs that were unplayable due to hidden production flaws (stereo more susceptible than mono for some reason).

Then again, you would have to decide if you want to be the nerd going into a record store with your own portable TT and headphones? Could result in a good "pick up" line though, "hey you want to hear this....try on these phones....etc." Or she might ask if she could try your portable TT to audition something for herself.....Are there records stores anymore?

By not having the abillity to audition LPs with either your own portable TT or one provided in the store, there are other positive results, like learning to appreciate the music on the purchases that were "mistakes" (to justify an embarrassing speculative purchase) only to find that "now" you indeed collect "Organ Favorites". If you cannot fix it, feature it. The other good thing is that you will make discoveries of music and genres you didn't even know existed (like collectlng "cheesecake" LP covers). Some "cheesecake cover" collectors outbid the collectors of the music for the same LP!

It would be cool to play LPs while riding your bike. The gyroscopic equations for this physics would be an advanced dissertation.

C&S

----------------

On 1/29/2005 12:38:09 PM Kudret wrote:

Here is another picture, just the TT itself.

Kudret
SBurger2.jpg

----------------

note: the bug is playing Bing Crosby "White Christmas" on Decca. If you hadn't run the micro-bus over it, that collectible was worth $300, now that the bus ran over it, $1.49. Don't you watch Antiques Roadshow?

C&S

----------------

On 1/29/2005 1:38:22 PM mike stehr wrote:

That little micro-bus use a moving coil with a step-up tranny?

----------------

----------------

On 1/29/2005 2:22:28 PM Clipped and Shorn wrote:

note: the bug is playing Bing Crosby "White Christmas" on Decca. If you hadn't run the micro-bus over it, that collectible was worth $300, now that the bus ran over it, $1.49. Don't you watch Antiques Roadshow.

C&S

----------------

----------------

----------------

Wow, you're observant! Unfortunately, that copy of Bing Crosby looked like it had been run through a belt sander when I bought it. The Decca label still looked cool though so it was worth the buck.

----------------

On 1/29/2005 3:17:33 PM scott0527 wrote:

----------------

On 1/29/2005 2:22:28 PM Clipped and Shorn wrote:

note: the bug is playing Bing Crosby "White Christmas" on Decca. If you hadn't run the micro-bus over it, that collectible was worth $300, now that the bus ran over it, $1.49. Don't you watch Antiques Roadshow.

C&S

----------------

----------------

A friend has one of the little Micro Bus players. It works pretty well, I was surprised. it is so funny to watch that thing ride around on an LP and actually play.

There are some nice things on those old Deccas. Couldn't help noticing the label. There are some very rare and valuable latin jazz classics on Decca....for example "Holiday in Havana"....don't pass that one up if you see it.

C&S
----------------
Wow, you're observant! Unfortunately, that copy of Bing Crosby looked like it had been run through a belt sander when I bought it. The Decca label still looked cool though so it was worth the buck.

----------------

On a good day the bus will bring 100+ on ebay.

I was at a store called Lechmere back in the 80's and they had a whole pile of the lp playing buses .I bought one for 7 bucks wish i bought them all Now.

Mine was the gold one and i hated the color so i painted 2 tone to match my real 67 Micro bus oops killed the value in mine.

I still have the 67 and the lp bus.

----------------

On 2/1/2005 6:20:33 PM Parrot wrote:

Thanks for the links. Some great history there, a little before my time. Did you ever get your Rega fixed?

----------------

Your quite welcome my son got the arm put on the old thorens for me and made a box for it its not as smooth as the rega was but it sounds pretty good and looks nice Joe