Mini Score! Have Questions

thebes

----------------

On 1/29/2005 10:49:33 PM bclarke421 wrote:

That Wolverine was made by EV, I think. Their triaxials are among the better stuff available from that period. Not Altec, but decent. It deserves better than being hung on a wall ala Applebees. (No offense.)

Waiting for the trifecta, Thebes?

----------------

none taken.

if i somehow end up with this it will go into an clear tuned

box with a mirrored rear panel,

i will power it with an antique blaupunkt (sp) tube amp

jay

Not from that picture!14.gif

As you know, I'm full of bad advice, but that doesn't stop me. So, hook it up to your speakers. You have already fired it up with the Christmas lights and no smoke. Just stay nearby ready to pounce for the first few minutes. See what it sounds like, then put it away until you can have it restored.2.gif

Rick

Thebes,

Did you check the fuse ? The X-mass tree lights probably didn't allow enough juice to the reciever to light things up. Just plug the thing in and keep a very close eye on it for a smoke show. Variac are a safety item more then anything else. They don't actually make a bad part good again. Any part that is bad will still sooner or later fail even after being brought up on a variac. If your going to keep up this quest for vintage gear then get off the wallet and spend $100 on a variac.

Craig

I do appreciate you patience and wilingness to help and I'm pretty sure I can't fix it my own, and of course, the Marantz is first in line for a good going over, then the 500c and then this one. I changed out the fuse, reseated the tubes, plugged in a regular power cord and nothing-no glow, no lights-no sound etc.

I then plugged in a lamp to the back of the receiver and it lit right up so it's getting power into it. A close visual inspection reveals two things that don't look quite right. Here's one them. It's located as part of the second tube on the far right close to the front of the receiver as you look at the first picture I posted.

badbrownthingy.jpg

post-14801-13819261428834_thumb.jpg

This is a silver tube about an inch long located between the yellow tube thing on a strip of wires that has one half of the power cord also soldered to it. It appears to be rusted/discolored on one end only.

badsilverthingy.jpg

post-14801-13819261429084_thumb.jpg

Those caps are not the problem if your tubes are not lighting at all. The output tubes light from voltage direct off the power transformer no caps involved. Either the power transformer is not getting any juice at all for some reason or its has a open winding that is not shorted which would instantly blow the fuse. It sounds like your not going to get this one working unless you get brave and start tracing voltages.

Was the fuse blown ?

Did the new one blow instantly ?

Craig

The old fuse was not blown, and I used a higher value 2.5 vs 2.3 fuse from a newly opened box (only slow blows I had). Neither of them blew.

I'm willing to try and trace voltages if you're willing to give me a litle guidance. Don't have a schematic for the 400 but I have one for the 500. should be pretty close.

By the way I hooked up that Wolverine, at first it sounded pretty tinny, until I closed of the back of the console with a board and stuffed some foam under the bottom of the console to seal of a gap there. Not bad. Tkot I need to think about this some more, but you're first up if it goes out the door.

The Wolverine was Electro-Voice's entry-level speaker for the do-it yourselfer, although they included a lot of nice features for an economy unit, like edge wound voice coils and die-cast frames. They came as an 8" or 12" co-ax, and an 8," 12" and 15" with whizzer cones. There were also midrange and tweeter horns available, the latter pretty close to a T-35B. The 12" drivers were popular as "build in wall" units because of their shallow baskets.

The 12" three way co-ax shows a list price of $40 1965 dollars, with a frequency response of 40-18,000 hz.

The Wolverines are actually pretty common, and show up a lot in home built cabinets of the fifties and sixties. They sound quite decent, too. The big drawback is very low power handling by current standards and a rather limited output. They can be quite hard to find parts for too.

There probably is another one somewhere around the house where you got this one. Good luck finding it though. It may well be built into a ceiling or wall somewhere.

Thanks Captain. They really do sound ok. Not about to trade in my Klipsch for them, however. I'm wondering if they might be worthy of some sort of speaker building project-I mean no crossovers needed, build a box and let'er rip.

This speaker by the way is model number LT 12 and has a switch for Normal, High Rolloff and Extend Highs.

Just thinking, probably won't carry it through given the need to spend money fixing my new broken toy and the others gear that needs my attention.

Who knows, have to mull it over for awhile.