"this type of disc cannot be played"

lcragan

AAArrghhh! As if I didn't have enough going on, now my Panasonic DVD-C220 5-disc player says this on the TV screen, when I put in any DVD's' SOmetimes, I can get it to play ONE disc, in ONE slot, but never the disc that I want to watch. Anyone seen this? The guy a Tweeter said it's probably shot, and will cost more to look at than to buy a new one. Anyone?

Lori-Anne

Yes, he's probably right. That player is probably 3-5 years old. Over the past year, a lot of really good inexpensive (like, under $100) players have come on the market. On the Klipsch forum, they're usually discussed in the Home Theater or 2-Channel forums. I haven't been out shopping for them, so I'm not up on what's hot, but a new player most likely will be less expensive, and perform better, than yours. Do you need a multi-disc unit, or is single disc OK?

It's a conspiricy! fini's and Tweeter are right, those things aren't made to repair.

"Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean everyone isn't out to get me."

fini's and Tweeter are right, those things aren't made to repair. Don't spend a ton of money on a new one. It will be obsolete in a couple of years with new technology on the horizon.

Rick

PS: Tell the salesman that your cables are fine!!!

Sorry to hear about your player, it's a shame. I agree with the rest, it probably isn't worth trying to get it fixed.

I feel your pain, last night I tried to play a Sheryl Crow DVD I received as a gift in my Toshiba player and it wouldn't play. Thinking there was something wrong with the disc I tried it in my parents Sony player and it works perfectly. Now I'm wondering if there isn't something going wrong with my Toshiba. 7.gif

I have a CD player that does the same thing. Only works when IT wants to. It ALWAYS plays SACDs, never plays old redbook CDs and plays new redbook CDs most of the time. Its become my "dedicated" SACD player.

Never tried a cleaning disc. Do those really work? If so, what's a good one to get?

that's right - "dedicated" to making me crazy!! Mine is a 5-disc player, and SOMEtimes, SOMEthing will play on 1 and 5, but the same disc won't play on the other three. The other night, only a movie I really didn't want to watch would play on 4 or something. I took it out, and am using the tiny little player I bought for my 5 year old at WalMart the day after Thanksgiving - Hey, at least it plays!!!!!

First: Unplug it, plug it back in, try it, if it works STOP

If not:

Take off the "cover" usually only a few screws, GENTLY clean the "lense" of the pick up with a SOFT brush and compressed air, If you feel confident in your ability to be GENTLE a cotton swab DAMPENED with alcohol is good too, especially if there are smokers in the house.

DON'T USE those disc type "cleaners" with the brushes on them, they'll either BEAT THE HELL out of the laser, or never apply enough friction to do any good.

If this doesn't do it, replace it.

Have fun,

Analogman