Klipsch for 30' Class A Motor Home?

HornEd

Looks like I will be spending every weekend from now until mid-October at the Northern California Renaissance Faire as my 93 year-old mom completed her apprentice work in Elizabethan studies and will be a featured participant as a survivor! I just bought a 30' Glass A motor home and putting in some computer gear to stay in touch with the Forum (and get some work done). I have some SB-2's and various subs I could put in. It has a TV and VCR which I shall probably replace forthwith.

My home computer speakers are Altec Lansing from pre-Pro Media days. Maybe I should do Pro Media 5.1's... I just ordered a custom sub from SVS for the music room... but I don't think that 46" puppy belongs in such a small motor home.

Maybe yanking out the standard TV and VCR and replacing it with some kind of projection unit is a good idea... you know, something that could be brought outside on party nights. I have been so busy lately with creating Elizabethan broadsides for the faire that I really could use a few motor home Klipsching comments. cwm32.gif HornEd

Mr. Ed!

How 'bout two pair of Heresys for indoors enjoyment, and have road cases built for a pair of yer 30s for outdoor entertaining! I've never heard KLF 30s outside (I don't plan on taking mine outside either), but I bet they'd crank! My buddy has a pair of older Klipsch pro series PA speakers that were built to be used outside, and they are awesome. Maybe the KLF 30 idea is silly, but Klipsch pro gear with a nice Crown amp would be the crowd fave on party nights! Ask the K boys if you can borrow a big K banner and lash it to the side of the motor home, proudly displaying the discriminating choice of audiophiles everywhere! Smash.gif

This message has been edited by Mr. Blorry on 08-16-2001 at 01:58 AM

JMON, you really know how to hurt a guy cwm34.gif Just when I was happy about my new project, you "CornerEd" me with traveling K-horn lament.

But, fortunately, I looked back to Mr. Blorry's message cwm27.gif and it hit me like a flash. A pair of downsized false corners, hinged for travel, a pair of rubberized K-horns... and a sound trailer to carry them in (who needs to tow a car when all the sound is right here!) and a K-party like all outdoors!

Actually, this motorhome will be customized as a "W/RV" (Work/Recreation Vehicle) and will serve as a command post for my Renaissance Faire projects and, therefore, much of the space will be used for computer and graphics tools. While I have been retired for more than a decade, I am now being courted to at least devote some time to creating specialty "period" publications for "faires" stretching from New York to California.

Some years ago, my son and I created a "smart font engine" that turns a font based on Chaucer's handwriting into calligraphy that dynamically changes from letter-to-letter. In fact, it can be set from the keyboard in any popular software to even appear like a quill pen that is slowly running out of ink... and then is dipped periodically. I also have a working replica of a wooden "journeyman's press" (no originals exist anywhere) made from 16th century plans. I have software that creates pseudo-woodcuts from high resolution digital photos.

Since I am not interested in selling my technology the alternative is spending some more time on the road. Bringing some K-Sound comfort to this working environment is more than an exercise in comedic rhetoric... for one does not leave a six-KLF 30 HT rig plus a Cornwall 2-channel music rig at home without withdrawal anxiety.

This Class A motorhome is an oldie-but-goodie that will become a working prototype of a new custom "W/RV" that is small enough to fit into faire accommodations and yet large enough to get the work done. So, some innovative sound cabinetry and Klipsch pro products woven into the mix could go a long way toward making K-fans to blow out some medieval minds along the way. I guess the faire minions will have to live with my new RF7-copper Klipsch cup being in one hand whilst my "living steel" blade fills the other.

I will be figuring out how to make this puppy work and be able to have the Klipsch sound inside and outside between now and mid-October... and then implement those changes in time for a trial run at a Spring faire in Southern California. I guess by now, most Forum folks know that I am indeed serious about my pursuit of the sound that made PWK famous.

I started this thread on "Two Channel" because I thought it most likely to be a two-channel project... but now I am beginning to wonder if a multi-channel approach may not be better as a way to synthesize an improved set of acoustics not generally available to 30' motorhomes. This experiment is "downsized" from the trusty 40' coach that served me well in Texas... but was not as welcome, size-wise, in other states.

So, thanks for the start guys, and I hope the ideas keep coming! cwm13.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Music Respite Room: Cornwalls plus 16-46 SVS Exotic

W/RV Klipsch Wheels: R&D Prototype under construction

This message has been edited by HornEd on 08-16-2001 at 05:40 AM

Humm I like Mr. Blorry's idea :-) Can you give us an idea of the lay out of the motorhome and what you are trying to achive (ie loud volume, tons of bass, critical listing, entertain, background noise)? I have the ProMedia's in my 10X12 Computer room and believe me they rock!! More than enough power for that size of a room. Don't get me wrong they are not Cornwalls and SVS but the bass is decent and they do have the Klipsch sound. If you are going to be watching movies maybe the new 5.1 ProMedias.

Humm actually how about some RB3/5's and a powered SVS or Klipsch sub? That would be neat too.

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

l

Horn Ed,

Kudos to you mom for her accomplishment. To be that sharp at 93 years young is remarkable.

One thing to keep in mind is that you don't have a lot of floor space to place large speaks, so wall mounted units would be a better bet. Plus anything not attached in some way will move around when you are mobile. Wall brackets that allow you to take them out and place them outside would be a nice feature. Some ideas you can mull around.

JL

HornEd! I posted a reply here, followed by a witty follow-up from Doug Drake, and they all distapeared!! So, as a public service, I will try to recreate:

I may take my kids this year to the RPF! I haven't been in, maybe, fifteen years. It will be my girls' first. Should have been going all along, living in Sonoma County, and all. So do I recognize you by your distinctive headgear, or should I walk around with a cart, yelling, "Bring out yer dead (tweeters)!"?

wink, wink, fini

To which Doug replied...

Horn

Sounds like your pilgramidge is going to be quite an experiance. Since the trip is coupled with business, and "out of town business" at that!!! Brings up a whole new relationship with IRS. Could outfit the vessel with some serious gear and cwm37.gif write it off.

An overhead projector to display your computer graphics...mounted of course on a swievel mount so you can turn it to display out the window onto an outside screen setup!

Then sell the stuff to yourself after the trip and bring it inside...WOW...happy sailing!

Whew, definitely warm in Vacaville (location of the Renaissance Pleasure Faire) this time of year! Sorry I missed out on so much repartee... especially the part about DougToo in search of a Tweetie to revive his tweeter.

I changed cellular phone service and the unit I bought was so new the data cable accessory has not arrived... so no Internet connection over the weekend.

JL & Gill, I read your posts to mother... and did she light up. Thanks guys, and I agree with you. Fini I wish I could say that you could recognize me by the copper & stainless Klipsch mug... but they don't allow us participants to be out of character. I am not allowed to say what... but, mother will be accorded a very special honor next weekend (the first of the faire) at the Friend of Faire Garden. That's were you can find me most often, fini, and if you stop by with your girls, you can come into the Garden, rest your bones and have something cool. Just ask for Ed the Scribner and the Widow Hilda. I might just post a photo of the two of us in costume.

In fact, fini, show up and I treat you and your family to "Wydow Hilda's Longevity Secret." Dried prunes soaked in honeyed herbal tea, drained well and then covered in Armagnac (80 proof) for three days. Armagnac was concocted by monks in Gascony as a medicine against the plague. It's double distilled cousin, cognac, came later. Honey and full leafed organic herbal tea seem healthy enough... and prunes are legendary for their "cleansing" power.

I just got in... dog tired... but after a hot weekend without Klipsch (soon to be remedied)... I just had to pop in the Eagles great "Hell freezer" in dts to get right with the world.

More later... Sleep.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 08-20-2001 at 12:41 AM

Ed! Sounds like a moving experience! It'll be a bit later in the Faire's run, but we'll get there and look you up! This coming weekend we'll be in Lala land, visiting the mouse before it's back to school time. I've never gone to the Faire in costume, but must this time, for sure (something other than mouse ears...).

Congratulations to your Mother on her honor! Make sure you both drink lots of water in that hot weather. You don't want your horns to droop...

Regards, fini

Fini... I guess I am going to "BobG Hell" because I can't resist a follow-up to your mouse ears destination. Many years ago when my son was about four or five, my wife and I took him to Disneyland. Through an acquaintance I had the opportunity to take my family behind the scene and meet the original person who played Mickey Mouse. Needless to say, my son was beside himself with anticipation. Apparently we arrived a few minutes early because as we got to him, this wrinkled prune of a man had his Mickey Mouse head off and was puffing on a Camel. I think my son has been somewhat of a realist ever since.

cwm40.gif Enjoy the trip... but at least stop in at a Klipsch dealer on the way and get a Klipsch-flix. HornEd