511+902 on a belle

valvecue

----------------

On 1/31/2005 11:50:50 PM michael hurd wrote:

The 902-8b is 8 ohms, the k55 is 16. You have to change taps on the autoformer to compensate for the difference, otherwise the crossover point will change, and the mid will be down by 3 db.

----------------

...and the mid will be down by 3 db.

And that might be a good thing.... (?)

Terry

Terry

----------------

On 1/31/2005 9:58:35 PM valvecue wrote:

I will be getting my 902-8b/511 and will be installing it in place of the k-55m. My crossover is a type A. Can i just swap the horn without any changes to the crossover?

----------------

Just out of curiosity, how are you going to fit a 511B horn in a Belle.

Even an 811B horn requires another 1/8"~3/16" of height clearance to fit.

The 511B was not designed to operate below 500 Hz. I think the Belle crosses

over at 400 Hz.

The 902-8B driver is only rated for 10 watts and should not be crossed over

lower than 500 Hz. You should also have the loading cap option installed

for antyhing under 800 Hz. The loading cap is a small black plastic domed

cover that installs over the back of the diaphragm under the rear cover. It

limits the diaphragm excursion at lower frequencies.

"Do i still need to be worried about blowing the driver even if the max amplification i have in my house is 18w?"

If you don't crank it up you will be OK. I ran the 511B with Altec 902s using Al's 'Type A' crossovers for awhile before swapping over to his ES600 networks. I used them for both music and movies and they would do THX reference level (105dB each at the listening position) without complaint.

My 902s did have the loading caps in them at that point.

Shawn

Valveque,

I really don't know if 18W is safe or not. It depends on the sounds you are putting into the speaker. 18W at 400 Hz WILL trash the drivers. I don't know if that will happen or not. I don't think it's likely though, but why risk it?

The Belle woofer will go up to 700 Hz. I am using Altec 811b horns with JBL 2426h drivers and crossing at 700. with extreme slope crossover. The JBL driver see nothing below about 680 Hz or so. 811 horns won't stick out the back of the Belle either. I had 511 horns in my Belles for a while and the sound was the same. BTW: The Altec 902 is a much better driver then the JBL2426, so you got me beat there!

Take a look at my personal web site and you will see what I did.

http://www.s114186177.onlinehome.us/

Al K.

I will be resting the 511/902 on top of the cabinet as I am but a minority who love the way the horns look in the raw.

Currently my belles have the ab crossover but intend to convert it to an A crossover as some have recommended.

While i do have an 18w fisher sa100 i most often use my 300b and 2a3/45 amp to drive them.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. You are a great bunch.

"Currently my belles have the ab crossover but intend to convert it to an A crossover as some have recommended. "

You might run into a problem running it as a three way with the Klipsch Type A crossover. It runs the squawker full range and counts on the mass rolloff of the K55 to more of less roll off at 6k.

The 902 isn't going to do that at all. I'd take the tweeter crossover right out of the type A and convert it to a two way design with the 902. Then later on if you want to try a more advanced crossover give Al's ES600s a try.

Shawn

----------------

On 2/2/2005 9:02:30 AM valvecue wrote:

I will be resting the 511/902 on top of the cabinet as I am but a minority who love the way the horns look in the raw.

Currently my belles have the ab crossover but intend to convert it to an A crossover as some have recommended.

While i do have an 18w fisher sa100 i most often use my 300b and 2a3/45 amp to drive them.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. You are a great bunch.

----------------

Careful..You will risk Dean G. calling it a "Tornado Warning Device"2.gif

Shawn,

If he has the Khorn, the ES600 crossover frequency is too high for the woofer. The Khorn needs the ES400.

You are right about the Klipsch crossovers not being suitable for a wide range driver like the 902. I totally missed that point as obvious as it is! If you are going to use the 902 drive in a 3 way system you MUST has a speerate squawker / tweeter crossover.

Al K.

I am contemplating simply to just build a fresh first order 2-way crossover. Leaving the original AB crossover intact for whatever i may decide to do with it in the future. I intend to crossover to the 902 at 600hz. I will also install a variable l-pad to allow me to optimize the balance between the two drivers.

I have a new question. Someone has just offered me an altec 806. I was wondering if any of you has had any experience using any of these 2 drivers. I recall reading that the 806 is not as extended as the 902, is this truly significant?