Looking for a better audio source selector for my Fisher

robster

Hi,

I have a dvd/cd player and an extra SS tuner and vcr plugged into one of those $14 Radio Shack audio source selectors boxes,silver has four push buttons, which is connected to the AUX. rca jack on my Fisher 400 receiver. Well I don't get the same amount of volume from my dvd/cd player as I do when I play the tuner. Should I just try out a better Auxuliary Input Selector,such as the $74 Niles AXP-1? Or are there others out there too?

HMMMM...I was just watching a DVD and had to turn the volume higher to reach listening level. Well I was thinking it was the cheapo selector box. I just now played a CD and switching from the cd and tuner the volume is the same. So it must of been a poorly recorded DVD.

Anybody use those audio selector boxes with their Fisher or Scott to give you more inputs? Radio Shack stopped selling the 3 input 1 out put small black box one and only sells the big silver one with S video and 4 input RCA and 1 output.

I have the old style black box on my other Fisher 400 in our computer room. It has 3 input and 1 out put RCA only no hi-tech S video,but they stopped selling those.

Cheers,

Robert

----------------

On 2/2/2005 10:30:39 PM robster wrote:

Hi,

I have a dvd/cd player and an extra SS tuner and vcr plugged into one of those $14 Radio Shack audio source selectors boxes,silver has four push buttons, which is connected to the AUX. rca jack on my Fisher 400 receiver. Well I don't get the same amount of volume from my dvd/cd player as I do when I play the tuner. Should I just try out a better Auxuliary Input Selector,such as the $74 Niles AXP-1? Or are there others out there too?

HMMMM...I was just watching a DVD and had to turn the volume higher to reach listening level. Well I was thinking it was the cheapo selector box. I just now played a CD and switching from the cd and tuner the volume is the same. So it must of been a poorly recorded DVD.

Anybody use those audio selector boxes with their Fisher or Scott to give you more inputs? Radio Shack stopped selling the 3 input 1 out put small black box one and only sells the big silver one with S video and 4 input RCA and 1 output.

I have the old style black box on my other Fisher 400 in our computer room. It has 3 input and 1 out put RCA only no hi-tech S video,but they stopped selling those.

Cheers,

Robert

----------------

Welcome to the Forum.

There's a chance your DVD may not have the same output voltage as your other Components.

If you have a variable output, turn the volume up to mate, or if you really want to test, disconnect the box and plug your DVD directly into your Aux, then compare volume to your tuner.

PM me with the results.

dodger

Thanks Dodger,

I sent you a PM.

I must of had a poorly recorded DVD,later I played a CD and switched between CD and the tuner section on my Fisher 400 receiver and the volume level stayed the same. I only have one Aux. input on the Fisher and 3 components,extra tuner for hard to reach stations,dvd/cd player and vcr, that I need to plug into it. That's why I use the selector box.

Cheers,

Robert

Robert,

Many DVD's are recorded with less output then a CD or your tuner. This has nothing to do with your box. I know this won't solve your problem but the "Tape In" or "Tape Monitor" input on your Fisher is also a high level that can be used for CD players, Tuners and the like (This is not the "Tape Head" Input). This still only gives you two high level inputs though. I'm curious why you have a SS tuner in the mix the 400's FM if working properly should do a fine job. Has it ever been aligned ?

Craig

Hiya Craig,

It's actually a Fisher 400-X Paul Gryzbek modified receiver. The tuner section on the Fisher works great and has been aligned. But it has trouble pulling in strong my favorite narrow band distant Public Radio station in stereo and quiet free. I have a modified APS Sansui TU-9900 that I use just to listen to my favorite radio station,it pulls in the weak stations like a champ.

" You are correct sir" hats off to Johnny Carson,soem dvd's don't have the volume output as some and I just found that out. You guys are so smart.

Cheers,

Robert

I too use a little rat-shack box on my pre-amp (which has only 2 inputs). It has 4 inputs and one output (which I have then split to pipe sound and video into the bedroom).

At the time I bought it I wasnt interested in the video circuitry but it came with a video RCA output (composite I beleive) as standard. Thank God it did! Saved my bacon. Quality is fine for a 14 inch TV and Aiwa stereo in the bedroom - going over a 30 foot RCA too!

Does have too much effect on the sound in the living room either - as far as I can tell (although the splitting outsie the box did lower the volume).

As I think you have concluded - this is not your problem. DVD's are VERY variable in their sound levels. I once played Michael Jackson History followed by Prince Greatest Hits and the volume increase from the MJ to Prince was shocking. I didnt measure it but I would guess an average difference of some 6 dB or more (it appeared to be twice as loud).