Humbling Experience

ooteedee

Yes, its amazing what you need to deliver thunderous sound levels in an open air venue. I think there is still a lawsuit pending due to hearing damage allegedly incurred by a young female teen at an AC/DC concert in the Montreal area. Her "temporary tinnitus and threshold thrift" didn't abate even after 2 days. It appears she may have taken hearing damage, makes one wonder if there were any others............

Well you know how it goes, the claim is being made that the attendees should be forewarned concerning the possibility of extremely high sound levels and of physical effects. It never ends..... "Dewey, Screwum and Howe" your friendly legal consultants will never run out of business!!

He is correct. From what I have been told by other Summons Servers all Principals have been in receipt of the lawsuit.

I have also heard that there is a consideration to extend the suit's Plaintiffs to include all of those Companies involved in Sound at the venue. Read between the lines.

Am not sure, is Canada under the same Tort System as the U.S. Or England.

If England, I don't foresee much. If U.S., McDonald's Coffee anyone?

But unless the Plaintiff is not mentally capable, she should have either known ahead that they were loud OR she should have left after any part of the first song.

I can see it going to home audio.

"Warning: The Surgeon General has proven that prolonged experience listening to music above 90 - 95 db (depending where person is and level was attained) will result in permanent hearing damage."

Does anyone take responsibility anymore?

dodger

Sure, everybody knows, or should know that front row at a rock concert is going to be LOUD. BUT, no one in an "official" seating area should be subjected to dB levels that could cause any permanent hearing damage. Maybe the whole concert industry needs to pay attention to this, and not have it so blasted loud!

hello cant help myself. "jdm" YOU DO KNOW THIS WAS A ROCK CONCERT RIGHT i wont assume you have been to a concert as your comment makes no sense. they should turn down the volume? what about the poor souls at the back of the line that get the cheap seats, or the little dude that cant push his way to the front to listen and watch, ther is a forgotten bit of intellect in this country and others its called COMMON SENSE, let me say thaat again COMMON SENSE, get the picture stop whineing and blameing everybody else on the planet for your ignorance you bought your ticket at free will and chose to stand close enough to the sound system to have it blasting in your ear i can say from experience and a fair amount of hearing loss taht if you have those problems after a concert you knew the music was loud because it HURTS WHEN YOU ARE THERE LISTENING AT THAT LEVEL. the problem today with all these lawsuits is way to many bleeding hearts. ooooh we feel your pain, it has to be somebody elses fault, lets make them pay because you were to DUMP to plug your ears or move away from the source in my day and upbringing that is called ignorance and you dont get paid for it, you suffer for it and are supposed to learn from it. not trying to offend anyone just hate to hear this type trype

Joe

Golly Joe, what's up with the wrath of Khan routine? All I said was concert's should not be so loud as to be harmful. That doesn't make "common sense" to you? Well, maybe they should have some laser light shows at concerts to burn the retinas of everyone who looks at it. That'd be cool, wouldn't it? Besides, everyone who doesn't want to get lased can wear welder's goggles. Now, THAT makes sense!

Joe, I don't understand wearing your own hearing loss like a badge of honor. I've got too much noise-induced hearing damage myself that I would love to undo, but can't. So I would like to at least help protect others from suffering needless damage as I have.

BTW, I said nothing about lawsuits. I really wish people would read more carefully what is written before they come out guns a blazin'.

----------------

On 2/3/2005 6:26:26 PM jdm56 wrote:

Sure, everybody knows, or should know that front row at a rock concert is going to be LOUD. BUT, no one in an "official" seating area should be subjected to dB levels that could cause any permanent hearing damage. Maybe the whole concert industry needs to pay attention to this, and not have it so blasted loud!

----------------

Agreeing with super SPLs. This could present problems in large venues. If the group has one set of speakerss, the level will be high at the front. Adding a second of speakers toward the back and you lose floor and seating space plus blocking view.

Not all arenas have the extra support in the back for hanging speakers.

dodger

I have been to a few concerts, and now I bring earplugs, and try to stay a little further back. The only problem with adding speakers to direct sound to the rear of the venue, is that a delay is needed to eliminate phase and timing differences for the people at the rear, as they will hear output from both sets of loudspeakers.

I agree that there is no real need for very high spl's >130, but unfortunately that is the Foh mixer's job to monitor levels, and ensure that they are reasonable.

I was at a Nazareth concert at an indoor venure, where they have a stage setup in one corner. 8 double 15" boxes per side made up the low-end, with 6 top boxes per side, inverted and splayed, plus they were patched in to the main PA as well, for the rear of the building and bar area. I was sure glad that I had ear plugs and extra's with me, the girlfriend thanked me afterward for ensuring that she put them in correctly. It sure is nice to be able to hear your car running after a concert, saves on the starter and flexplate, if you know what I mean.

As it was getting maybe 6 or 7 songs in, there were people leaving for the patio area outside, as the levels were very high. This was in late november, when it was already 37-38 degrees fahrenheit. We stayed nice and warm, inside! 2.gif

I think what jdm56 is pointing to are those few irresponsible sound folks out there that tend to crank it up just for the sake of cranking it up.

I'm all for personal responsibility, but when a sound engineer is upping the volume over a period of time, it's possible to not be aware of what levels you're experiencing. That happened to me in a small arena venue while seeing Rod Stewart (oh shuddup - he was ok in his day. Besides, I won the tickets in a Holloween costume contest!6.gif). Towards the end my ears started hurting and I left. Too late - damage done.

The concept of personal responsibility does not relieve nor justify the irresponsible actions of another. Has that ever occurred to you joesportster?

Additionally, a good sound engineer knows how to cover a typical arena. So the notion that it has to be loud so the folks in the back can hear is bogus. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from raising the levels from 110db to 120db other than they have the power do it. I'm friends with a couple of guys who have sound reinforcement companies and we've had these conversations. I've been to both indoor and outdoor events they've done and they are very cognizant of SPL's when indoors.

Tom6.gif

Where I live there is a municipal DB limit placed on any outdoor event, measured a three distances (I cannot remember what they were 1 meter, 3 meters and ten meters?).

Anyway, I staged an outdoor event with a band, etc. and sure enough, to get the permit I had to scehdule a visit from a city inspector during sound check to make sure we did not surpass the limits.

This protects the participants and neighbors from abuse and potential hearing damage.

I wonder why don´t more cities implement this system? Seems good to me.

Regards,

Tony

here i am again, i certainly think irresponsiable people should pay for thier transgressions, but in this case there were 2 people irresponsiable, the girl staying there listening at loud levels had the option to stay or leave and protect her hearing for whatever reason she decided to stay and thereby put herself at risk, it was a choice she made good or bad, and she should have to live with the consaquinces, no different than if you went out on a icy highway and had an accident that caused you permanent damage, should you be allowed to sue the state because the road was icy?????

i dont wear my hearing loss like a badge of honor, in fact it is irretating, and somewhat bothersome, but im not out asking klipsch to pay me for makeing thier speakers so effiecient that they can get louder than would be considered safe, i dont recall any warning when i bought my speakers saying careful these can get loud and cause hearing damage, i did read your first post and in it you imply that she was right to sue, and its that type of talk that seems to make it alright with a vast majority of people to go make a choice, perform an act, have a problem and sue someone with the excuse "well you should have warned me the music was loud, there should have been a label caution hot, etc... etc... etc...

Yes and the woman who burned her leg with hot coffee while driving deserved 8 million dollars. Damn, I should have about a billion dollars in the bank by now. Joe, you are talking sense, the rest? Sorry, while we watch our constitution go bye bye we tolerate this also. Rant over.

EDIT: And what about the lawsuits against the fast food places? When did they ever tell us it was health food and we should eat too much and then sit in front of the TV until our brains were mush? Rant over, part II