Cornwall I or II ?

alex336

I have an opportunity to purchase a set of Cornwall I's (1976) in good condition for $800.00. I have heard the I's many times but never the II's. Several posts here have given me the impression that the II's are an improvement and a better sounding speaker. I would really appreciate any information to help me decide if I should purchase the I's or wait until a set of II's become available. THANKS very much!! Johnny

------------------

Johnny

Johnny,

Curious if you got my e-mail about your Cornwall purchase?Maybe the guys with more Cornwall experience can help you out with the sound difference between the two models-maybe Marty65-Colin-DanOh!-Stu Pidass & others... come on guys whats your opinion about this matter?Also,right now on e-bay there is a pair of 1989 vintage Cornwall IIs for sale in Houston-don't know how far from your home but the seller has a good customer rating and is inviting people over to hear/see them in person.If this works out you could save on the shipping expense as these speakers would be big $$$ to ship.He is the original owner as well so even if you don't buy them you could at least hear them and give us all your opinion smile.gif

Marty65...on your 1989 Cornwall IIs are the grill clothes woven like the Klipschorn and Heritage line or like the "mesh-like" covers on the more recent Chorus?I am asking because the ones on e-bay appear to be "mesh-like" and I have never see these before on a Cornwall.I'll talk to you guys later.

I have owned and enjoyed the heritage Cornwall l for over 20 years now. Can't ever imagine trying anything else. Having said that, Klipschorns might be in my future but not at the expense of my beloved Cornwalls (I'm willing them to my son). I really really love these speakers.

Sorry I have never listened to the Cornwall ll speaker so am not in a position to comment on there differences or similarities.

Thanks again Dan!

Maybe it was just the flash on the camera or a custom grill.

If anyone is interested in the speakers for sale on e-bay I had e-mailed the owner and they are oiled Walnut with black grills and seem to be in very good condition.They are 1986 model Cornwall IIs (which in my opinion is the first year of the "new" model IIs)

The gentleman is the original owner and has also owned a set of Belles...wonder what he buying for speakers next?

Dan,

Have you been in Odds & Mods under "Show us your Klipsch Heritage speakers"?

If you have access to a digital camera or a scanner I think it would be pretty cool to compare the Cornwall to the Cornwall II.We could take pictures of the drivers as well as the crossover network to show everyone the differences between these two models.I'll see if I can steal my friends digital camera for the weekend and maybe post some pictures.

Jeff

I have a set of very early Cornwalls (1964) and because they sounded so great a good friend of mine prchased a pair of late 80's Cornwall II.

My 37 year old speakers blow the doors off of the newer ones. I'm not sure if it's the X-overs, the drivers or the fact the the horns are mounted vertically and staggered, but the imaging in astounding when compared to the later models.

gee, my 1st time of having an opinion/responce asked of me on this board..... I guess one should reply..

... I guess over all, I wouldn't limit my search for either a I or a II, but rec. keeping your options open to both...., depending more on the condition & sound (if you can get to them to listen....) of a given pair of Cornwalls.

I LOVE my circa 65 II's, which are probably pretty similar to Allen's, in that they have the mirrored, vertical Horn placement (and older drivers, & magnets).

A couple of my friends have circa 80-ish I's that also sound EXCELLENT...., in their listening inviroments...

but I've not had an opp., to do a good A-B comparison on either.

I took a look on the set that was being refered to on Ebay, in Texas.....,

and if you could go give them a listen,

I'd check them out.......,

..otherwise, for Cornwalls as old as Allen's and mine, where the same components were used in both I's & II's and horn placement was the only diff. I'd certainly lean towards the vertical mirrored placement of the II's...., seems to just make more sense. I wonder if they are any less prone to the effect of the woofer talking to the squaker's horn, etc..., it would seem the primary direction of the sound waves would be at more of a glancing angle....

I can also see where they might make a different sound stage...

Dan

cornwall II before 1986??? greta, that's a new 1 on me - then again that don't take much biggrin.gif

now i'm not sure what I have - I or old IIs

guess i'll have to look @ the serial if i can even see it under all the new stain smile.gif

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 speak wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

Hey guys...

Did you happen to notice what the selling price was for those speakers in Texas...A whopping $1175.00!! I couldn't believe it when I saw it.I had the chance to ask the seller a couple question about these and the speakers for sale on e-bay right now in Florida and found out a interesting fact.

The speakers in Texas were Cornwall IIs with the serial #s 8628489/8628490 while the ones in Florida are also 1986 models with the serial #s 8605507/8605508 but are the regular Cornwalls,I have pictures from both of these gentlemen to back this claim so it looks like the change from model I to II was made sometime in mid 1986.Just thought some of you with questions about this like I do would find this interesting...I sure do.

I agree with Dan-Oh,whichever model you find I would look for the finish & sound above all else.

Marty65,Couldn't get the digital camera this weekend for pictures,maybe next week.

Jeff

oh & jc, my cornwall I (I think) are 1982 & i recently had the grilles recovered w/ black cloth sent from klipsch for that purpose (look great w/ the new cherry finish). anyway, sounds like that mesh u saw may have been a recover job w/ this newer klipsch cloth.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 speak wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

Boa12,

Your probably right on those grills,looks like a recover.

One question on your 1982 model Cornwalls...did you ever have the backs off of them to check out the horns?Curious if yours have the K57K squawkers like my 1984 models or the K55K like the Klipschorns.Mine are Plastic on the midrange and metal on the tweeter (K77M).

Boa12,

Sounds like you have the original Cornwall I components (K33-K55-K77) whereas mine have the (later) Cornwall II mid K57.

On a different note does anyone on this board have an exotic wood finish on the Cornwalls? (Ebony,Teak,Rosewood,or Cherry)

Do you happen to know how much more it cost for the exotic finish when new?

I would love to get a set in something different...maybe to match my mahogany in my bedroom smile.gif

On the topic of exotic wood finishes. All I can say is my recollection of the oak finish in 1981 being $600 Canadian over and above the retail $1,750 for the plain birch plywood. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that teak and other "exotics" might have been an $800 or more option.

Klipsch, at the time, had a solid and well deserved reputation for quality craftsmanship on their hand rubbed finishes. Those WERE the days!!!! Damn I wished I could have afforded something other than birch. Having said that, the birch has not detered their legendary sound. smile.gif

wait my mistake jc. they're '84s (8407377&78). still they have the metal squak & tweet (same as the khorn & lascala at the time anyway). i thought the plastic front mounted weren't used until the II in '86 (?).

i had mine refinished in cherry by a 3rd party for $150. great deal, but took over 1 month.

oh & that sounds about right stu. i originally got mine raw i believe around $1200 & they were i think like $1800 or so w/ a cherry finish.

Thanks for the input guys!

Tony-using your formula (365 days in a year)when would my Cornwalls been manufactured?

Serial numbers 8448901/8448902

Boa12-your half right,my 1984 models have the plastic midrange (K57K) but mounted from the inside,not the outside of the cabinet.So this appears to be a variant of the Cornwall IIs.

Tony,did you buy these new?I have the sales receipt for mine dated 11/29/84 which has a price of $1500.00 in the oiled oak finish with brown cloth grill.

Jeff