Microsoft has a new SpyWare app... Picks up stuff that Ad-Aware misses

m00n

The best anti spyware, and anti virus software available today is Linux. Does most everything that Windoze and Windoze-based apps can do, and most distributions are available for a free download. I'm a non-techie, and I've been using Linux for a few months now. I think its ready for prime-time on the home desktop - finally.

There is so much security software on my PC it is almost unusable. Norton, Zonealarm, spybot, spyaudit.....plus they are forever upgrading themselves, using my bandwidth and then insisting on a re-boot.

I thought XP wasnt going to need all these re-boots - and lets not talk about the Microsoft auto-updater thing - that seems to download something every 20 minutes.

Max,

use a Linksys Router

use Norton Internet Security

use Firefox 1.0 browser

use Thunderbird 1.0 mail

use Spybot & Adaware 6

you'll be good to go and never bothered with

security leaks, ads or spyware. the firefox

browser blows away anything microsoft.

tru dat

----------------

On 2/17/2005 11:58:29 AM JPM wrote:

Study finds Windows more secure than Linux

From the article you site:

"They compared Windows Server 2003 and Red Hat Enterprise Server 3 running databases, scripting engines and Web servers (Microsoft's on one, the open source Apache on the other).

But they concluded with statistics showing that the Windows setup had a clear advantage over the Linux alternative.

Ford said the idea was to represent what an average system administrator may do, as opposed to a "wizard" who could take extra steps to provide plenty of security on a Linux setup, for instance. "

First, I think my comments were intended in the context of a home PC user, not a server environment. Its the home environment, I think, where individuals are most vulnerable, because they are largely unaware of the latest and greatest in worms, adware, spyware, viruses, etc.

Second, it is clear that most of these viruses, etc. are written to exploit vulnerabilities in Windows code. While I'm sure its possible to exploit Linux code, its a bit more challenging. Also, most individuals who would distribute a virus want to achieve the maximum amount of mayhem possible. Since there are far more Windows boxes out there, Windows users are the primary target.

Whell,

I didn't post the link as a rebuttal to your comments. Just as general information and food for thought. From what I read yesterday, Microsoft seems poised to launch a new browser soon. We'll see if it plugs the myriad security holes Microsoft is notorious for.

jpm 1.gif

I agree JPM, Microsoft is some crappy software, and they themselfs have there own little spyware purposely implemented into they're Operating System/Software. Most PC savy people no this. Linux is a very good and stable system, but face it, software availability, relative to Windows just insn't there. No for me anyway.

One of the biggest nitch markets is anti-spyware software. There are a lot of suckers out there that just buy it up because some PC magazine gave it a thumbs up. Smart people turn to the forum. Tom's HOt Hardware is a great site to learn about everything PC. as is Tweaknews.net. There are a host of others, but those 2 are always on top. I dont' care what anyone say's, SPYBOT is the best, it's been the best and continues to be free. So there is certainly no need to jump on the fear wagon and start buying up all the BS antispyware software that the PC stores would love to sell you.