Jukebox anyone

mandi

• 3 months later...

I wanted to revive this because I have found several in working order for about $800 bucks. I thought it would be neat if you could get into one of these and instead of using the speakers in the Jukebox, hook up external speakers. I have not asked if I can open one of the things up. Anyone out there own a Jukebox?

I know the Crown Candy Kitchen in St. Louis (definitely worth the trip if you are ever in town, and not for the jukebox) has external speakers hooked up to theirs, and I know there were other extablishments from my misspent youth which had outboard speakers connected to the Mighty Wurltizers and Seeburgs.

My big question would be ... why? Jukeboxes were noted for being decidedly "lo-fi" with ceramic cartridges tracking at weights into the ounces.

Still, they are fun to look at, bubbles coursing up the sides and all, and there are those who say "A ***-bop-a-lu-bop-a-***-bam-BOOM!" sounds better coming out of a Rock-o-la in a soda fountain than anything else on earth.

thought it would be cool in a gameroom, not really for quality music but to have a good time while playing pool or ping pong. Who knows, maybe we will introduce the kids to a good ole sock hop.

Could you not change out the arm and cartridge? This place I found them has several, maybe if they sit on them for a couple of months I can get them to come down on the price.

Maybe the kids will pump it full of quarters and I will not have to mow yards in the summer!!

mandi every bar I ever been into that had a jukebox wether new or old had external speakers connected somehow to it. I am not sure and alot used cd changers, receivers, external amps connected to them. I swear to you I wish I could get a picture of the horns in this one bar. UNREAL, Oh man I don't even know maybe a 4- 5 foot woofer, and a HUGE horn. I always asked them if they were Klipsch and they didn't know. They look like a big Heresy. That would be a big understatement. Make a Khorn look like a bookshelf speaker.

I had a '30s vintage Wurlitzer for a while about 20 years ago. It played 78s. The records were stacked in a vertical stack and were in hoops. To play, the hoop would swing out over the platter which would then raise up from the chassis, spear the record and continue to the top where the tone arm was waiting to play the record. When the song was over, the platter would drop down, deposit the record in its hoop and continue down to the chassis and the next record would swing out of the stack and the whole process would start again. I had taken it apart to refinish the wood (the whole thing was wood) and got side tracked with other projects. I traded it off in pieces for a car. The car is gone now and I wish I had the Jbox in its place. Oh well, thats life.

----------------

On 5/11/2005 4:56:40 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

You might track down popbumper on this Forum. He's into pinball machines and might have in interest or know of someone onto jukeboxes. Just a guess.

Michael

----------------

Good guess CP1 I have two vintage pinball machines and did a lot of posting on this news group:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball?hl=en&lr=

Seems like about 1/2 of the pinball guys are also into jukes. I know a guy in Toronto Canada that is really into them and can point you in the right direction. Let me know if you want his email address.

Good Luck, Rich

We owned a pool hall/game room when I was 12 to 16 years old. The Juke Box in are place indeed had a tube amplifier in it and had provisions for external speakers which we had 4 ran in series 2 on each channel plus the internal speakers. These were supplied from the leasing company for a perfect match. This system sounded great! What even made it sound better is I had the key LOL !!

Craig

In the 50s when hi-fi was the new thing many diy rigs were made by upgrading readily available Wurlitzer (pp6L6) juke box amps. Lots of jukes were being junked, these amps were plentiful. There were electronics parts supply houses on every corner with rows and rows of caps and resistors etc. just like a supermarket is today. Tubes were behind the counter. Upgrading to a hi-fi output transformer was no big thing. Even then, speakers is were they got you, really good ones were not cheap by comparison, and many diy-er made their own cabinets.

BION, Today some of the work that vinyl cutting outfits get come from jukebox enthusiasts having 45s made from their favorite music (CD or whatever).

c7