Set Top Antenna

ssh

I'm looking for a "set top" antenna to get "local" channels that DirectTV won't provide me. Fox is 90 mi away, but they call it local. I don't want another exterior antenna, & I don't want to use the one I have for TV. Suggestions?

SSH

...actually I looking to add a tv at one of my teaching studios but don't want to pay the cable bill ?

Local would work for me.

Is there a specific one I should buy, that is better then others for local reception?

----------------

On 2/8/2005 9:10:37 AM Born2RockU wrote:

...actually I looking to add a tv at one of my teaching studios but don't want to pay the cable bill ?

Local would work for me.

Is there a specific one I should buy, that is better then others for local reception?

----------------

If you're just looking for a set top, Rat Shack has some good amplified antennas. Can turn, has resistors for optimum picture and also UHF.

About $29.00. Roof tops are good too.

dodger

Antenna design is still a mystery. The way it was explained to me by engineers is they fist build the antenna then see if it works. If it works then they write up the theory on how it works. If not, they build another one. I use an external super big duper luper I purchased from MCM Electronics.

It works pretty well but remember that 99% of all your HDTV stations are UHF.In my area channel 3 is 2, 5 is 15, 8 is 31, 43 is 28, 61 is 39, 49 is 50, 25 is 26, 19 is 10, etc. The higher you are the better the signal. UHF travels in a straight line unless you have "ducting" which occurrs about 2 days per year. Best thing is to get a Parametric amplifier (noise figure 1.0db)to dig out those signals. ($50,000.00) Typical noise figures for tv tuners in the UHF range is 4.0 db. Use Styroflex lead-in for no signal loss.

That will cost you more than your house. Since this forum deals in extremes I figure you might want to know what they are, especially if you buy a parametric amp for each channel. Remember it's best to be located about at least 1000 ft high which will give you a shot at about 80 to 100 miles so that the signal will just tick the curvature of the earth, assuming that the tv transmitter is 1000 ft high also. You might want to try satellite which is really much cheaper. Remember, you cannot violate the physical laws and constants that exist in our Milky Way Galaxy. Somebody famous said that.

JJK

JJK

----------------

On 2/7/2005 9:50:18 PM ssh wrote:

I'm looking for a "set top" antenna to get "local" channels that DirectTV won't provide me. Fox is 90 mi away, but they call it local. I don't want another exterior antenna, & I don't want to use the one I have for TV. Suggestions?

SSH

----------------

Have you tried http://www.antennaweb.org to figure out what kind of antenna you need? You probably need a large on to get fox at 90 miles away.....

For the small antenna, I have a Silver Sensor I bought at Best Buy and it works great.

* yellow - uhf WATL-DT 36.1 WB ATLANTA GA 225° 22.6 25

* yellow - uhf WAGA-DT 5.1 FOX ATLANTA GA 223° 22.9 27

This is what I got from Antenna web. I can get WB station with about 60-70% strengh but cannot pick up FOX. It appears that the towers are near each other and only 23 miles away.

BTW: I am using a LG 4200A