Is using outlets on preamp ok?

rplace

Based on reading other threads on here I purchased a Furman, rack mountable power conditioner. http://www.furmansound.com/pro/pwr_cond_seq/cond/Series%202.a.htm

I ran a dedicated 20 amp line to my rack of equipment where the Furman now plugs into. I also have romex run back form my projector mount and sub power outlet which in effect makes an extension cord back to the Furman conditioner. This gives me every component running off of that single 20 amp circuit with no other items such as lights, outlets (other then sub), vacuum cleaner, popcorn maker, etc. running off of that circuit to cause issues. My problem is that I am short two outlets on the Furman to give each piece of equipment its own power source. Is it safe and reasonable to utilize the outlets, switched or unswitched, on the back of my pre amp? My gut tells me that if the preamp is plugged into the conditioner and the other items are plugged into the preamp all should be well. However, I am no electrical engineer so I could be totally off the mark.

So what is the deal, do I need to drop another $250+ dollars on a second Furman set up or is utilizing the preamps outlets ok?

Thanks, Rich

----------------

On 2/9/2005 9:02:20 AM rplace wrote:

Based on reading other threads on here I purchased a Furman, rack mountable power conditioner.

I ran a dedicated 20 amp line to my rack of equipment where the Furman now plugs into. I also have romex run back form my projector mount and sub power outlet which in effect makes an extension cord back to the Furman conditioner. This gives me every component running off of that single 20 amp circuit with no other items such as lights, outlets (other then sub), vacuum cleaner, popcorn maker, etc. running off of that circuit to cause issues. My problem is that I am short two outlets on the Furman to give each piece of equipment its own power source. Is it safe and reasonable to utilize the outlets, switched or unswitched, on the back of my pre amp? My gut tells me that if the preamp is plugged into the conditioner and the other items are plugged into the preamp all should be well. However, I am no electrical engineer so I could be totally off the mark.

So what is the deal, do I need to drop another $250+ dollars on a second Furman set up or is utilizing the preamp’s outlets ok?

Thanks, Rich

----------------

as long as you don't exceed the wattage rating on the outlet on your preamp you will be fine....

another option (which is better IMHO) is to get a cheap power strip with 4 to 6 outlets and plug it into the Furman.... you get all of the protection of the furman without any limitations of current like you might have coming from the back of your preamp...

i personally have two separate outlet strips mounted on the back of my rack - one a switched strip and the other is on all the time.... both of them plugged into my Surge-X unit....

that is the way most professional installations are done....

1.gif