DirecTV Question

customsteve01

My DirecTV box does not have any "digital" audio out ports.

I just have the standard box without the DVR option.

Does anybody know if the DVR box incorporate the "digital" audio out options?

I just upgraded to a Marantz SR4500 receiver form a

Sony STR1090 that was about 10 or more years old. I don't think running the "analog" audio from the box lets the Marantz unleash its potential.

Just wandering what my options are. The DirecTV site does say that the HD box has this option but I don't have a HD TV yet and don't see the need to upgrade to that box.

You have 3 options....

1. You can get a DTV receiver with a stereo digital out, for about $75

2. You can get a DTV receiver with a Dolby digital out, for about $150.

3. You can upgrade to a Tivo box. The Tivo box can be found under $100, will record 2 channels at once, & has the Dolby digital out.

Guess what I recommend.

----------------

On 2/9/2005 10:31:24 PM Gramas701 wrote:

if you already have dtv and you buy another box you are going to have to extend your contract for another year

----------------

Not true in all areas.... I recently added 2 more Tivo's to my system. They did not extend anything.

Regarding the receiver with built-in Tivo DVR, is it not the case that you must subscribe to Tivo at $5/month to be able to record anything at all? Although it conveniently has the true DD 5.1 optical out, I am under the impression that you can't use a Tivo recorder like a VCR unless you subscribe to the monthly service.

----------------

On 2/9/2005 11:01:32 PM RichardP wrote:

Regarding the receiver with built-in Tivo DVR, is it not the case that you must subscribe to Tivo at $5/month to be able to record anything at all? Although it conveniently has the true DD 5.1 optical out, I am under the impression that you can't use a Tivo recorder like a VCR unless you subscribe to the monthly service.

----------------

The stand-alone does not need the tivo service. It just becomes a dumb recorder with basic VCR type control. However, it can record from any source including off the air. The service is $13/month

The D-tivo has to have Directv service, since it has no other tuner. With the DTV service, it is only an extra $5/month, but it also gives you 2 tuner recording.

In my case, running 3 tivo's, I only pay the $5 tivo service once, the others are mirrored. It is then just an extra $5 for each receiver, tivo or not.

Edit: Also, the Dtivo has better recording quality & times, since it records the digital satellite signal direct to disk. The stand alone has to convert the signal on the fly. There is a BIG difference between the $$$$$$$ A/D converter that DTV uses & the one they put in the $99 box.

----------------

On 2/9/2005 8:55:04 PM cyclonecj wrote:

You have 3 options....

1. You can get a DTV receiver with a stereo digital out, for about $75

----------------

Really? I never heard of such a thing. Why would anyone want that??

I agree with others here, You might as well get the TiVo, it's only a couple bucks more.

It's silly to worry about the extra $5 a month for TiVo, it's totally worth it. I can't believe that would honestly stop someone from getting it.

----------------

On 2/9/2005 11:55:20 PM toddvj wrote:

Really? I never heard of such a thing. Why would anyone want that??

----------------

I'm not sure... but is was on a few of the RCA units in the last year or so. My friend got one & was not happy.

Well I called DirecTV this afternoon when I got up.

I will have a DVR in the house installed with the extra feed from the antenna on Monday.

And it will cost me ZERO........... They waived all the charges. She said they charge 99.00 for the box and install, 14.95 S&H. But they waived it all.

Just have to pay the $4.99 a month for the TIVO service, And year contract. But like I said before I really don't have any other choices and I would use DirecTV anyway.

And they assured me that it does have the digital audio outs.

Thanks for your help guys.

Steve 9.gif