RF-35 lover looking to upgrade

organ

Hi guys,

I've had my RF-35 for over a year now and I'm blown away everytime I listen to them. Within the next 2-3 years, I plan to upgrade to either the RF-7 or HeresyII.

Source is a NAD C541

Pre is a Golden Tube Audio SEP-1

Amp is a Dynakit ST-70 (stock and restored. Triode strapped).

I love the RF-35's but after cruising this forum a lot, I noticed that the heritage owners prefer them over the Reference series.

What I'm hoping to achieve from this upgrade is a more dynamic/slamming presentation, chest pounding bass and a livelier presentation.

I've also heard that the heritage series produce a huge wall of sound. This would be a definite plus for me.

My musical tastes are extreme metal (Cradle of Filth, Therion, Arch Enemy, etc), Rock (Queen) and soft classical crossover stuff (Sarah Brightman, Summer, Opera Babes). So I pretty much listen to everything. Oh yeah, I like to listen LOUD.

So which model do you think will make me happier (RF-7 or HeresyII)? If I get the HeresyII, I plan to get it new. Anybody know how much they retail for?

Here's a link for pics of my system so you can check out the room. Listening spot is right against the back wall... http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/showcase/view.php?userid=16753

Thanks

Maurice

Agreed. The RF7 has a lot more cone area, better HF extension, better LF extension, and has a 6 db increase in sensitivity. All around a better performer. The difference in sensitivity alone would be like going from a 50 watt amplifier to a 200 watt amplifier, by choosing the RF7 over the heresyII.

If you were to go from the RF-35 to the heresyII, you would be missing a lot of bass. This could be band-aided with the use of a subwoofer with the heresyII, but then the $$ difference is a lot closer to the RF7.

Without a sub the Heresy can never keep up with the rf7. With a good sub it's a matter of taste. I did a demo with my Heresy and a sub against the 7s and still have them. I prefer the smooth midrange of the Heresys over the 7s.

If you like the upper bass punch of your 35s you may prefer the 7s.

"The difference in sensitivity alone would be like going from a 50 watt amplifier to a 200 watt amplifier, by choosing the RF7 over the Heresy II."

Mike is looking at it the same way I am. Even with a sub, it's an uphill battle for the Heresy. Needing less power means you can put the money into higher quality amplification instead of more watts. 30 to 60 quality watts and corner placement puts the RF-7 into Klipschorn territory. Not quite the majestic and overwhelming soundfield of the Klipschorn, but closer than most realize -- and definitely in the neighborhood as far as quality of sound goes.

If you want the midrange of the RF-7 to blend better with the treble, just tack a 10 ohm resistor in parallel with the existing 2 ohm resistor on the HF board. A half an hours worth of work that makes a tremendous difference.

RF-35. Trey did tell me, but now I've forgotten. I think you have to remove the entire faceplace to get to the driver screws on the front baffle.

----------------

On 2/10/2005 7:26:05 PM DeanG wrote:

I'm sorry, but until you change out the networks -- you can only hug them.
9.gif

----------------

Ehh... if I go down that road, then when I get the RF-7s, the crossovers and the B&K Ref 200.2, I'd be doing something illegal with the speakers.

Ok, I apologize for the thread hack (the Rf-7s sound much better with your choice of music, IMHO), but I've been reading about Dean's upgrades for a while now, and I'm VERY interested. I currently have rf-35s in a HT system, but I do a lot of music listening. When would you imagine that upgrade will be available, and what are the repurcussions of doing it with floorstanders in a HT setup as opposed to true stereo?

Thanks!

Scott

Wow! Thanks a lot for the help guys. I'm going to get the RF-7's when I get the cash. The RF-35 is my first horn/Klipsch experience and I have to say, I'm not going back to direct radiators. Klipsch sounds just like live music with the most impressive dynamics. Before getting my Klipsch, whenever I'm at a metal concert, I used to wonder if my system could ever have that kind of dynamic and aggressive sound. Thought you could only get that kind of sound at live shows. Then I started reading about Klipsch, went to the store to buy them and now I'm hooked. The best pair of speakers I've heard so far.

Do you guys think my Dynakit ST-70 could handle the RF-7? I've triode strapped the amp, so power output is cut by half. Not a problem with the RF-35 but I heard the RF-7 have a nasty impedance dip.

I might be interested in Dean's RF-35 x-over upgrade too. Please tell us more about it when it's ready.

Thanks

Maurice

That's three Dean : ) Does anyone happen to live near Dean? I'd be happy to ship mine off for a looksee but I couldn't do that until mayebe June, definitely August. The only issues are taking off the front faceplate to get at the xovers (not too complicated) and the cost isn't known yet because he doesn't know exactly what amount of parts will go into them.

JC

----------------

On 2/17/2005 12:34:20 AM doctorcilantro wrote:

That's three Dean : ) Does anyone happen to live near Dean? I'd be happy to ship mine off for a looksee but I couldn't do that until mayebe June, definitely August. The only issues are taking off the front faceplate to get at the xovers (not too complicated) and the cost isn't known yet because he doesn't know exactly what amount of parts will go into them.

JC

----------------

Hi Doctor,

Aren't the x-overs located on the back where the binding posts are? I'd hate to take out the screws on the front faceplate. I don't even have a screw driver that could fit nicely.

Maurice