Opening the Cornwall II

Jonser

I've got my hands on a pair of Cornwall II's (It says so on the back). 1985 is also printed on the back.

Drivers are horizontally front-mounted, three vent on the bottom, glued on back panel. It's this last item that is bugging me. How do I get inside? I unscrewed the tweeter's screws but was unable to budge the horn using moderate force. Any tips?

Congratulations on your Cornwall purchase and welcome aboard. I can't answer your question as I have 2 Cornwall I's and 2 Cornwall Vertical II's . I'm sure there are other members with version II's who will review your post and respond.

Your post has aroused my curiosity as to the serial numbers of your II's. My 85 I's have the Walnut Finish , their backs have screws and the Drivers are horizontally rear-mounted. My serial numbers are: 8522235 & 8522236. I would appreciate it if you would identify yours? If I understand the serial number scheme correctly, the 2nd & 3rd positions should indicate the week of the year they were made. Mine being the 22nd week of 1985, possibly the 235/36 pair made? Ours may be relatively close in build date. Looks like a change over to Cornwall II occurred sometime during 1985.

Curiouscwm10.gifWes

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-17-2001 at 07:46 PM

The fact they have front mounted drivers tells you they are IIs.The printed date doesn't mean the date manufactured.I have seen 1980 on '84 models.The serial # does.1984 to 1989,the first 2 #'s are the year.

You have to take the drivers out from the front.

In the late '60s and early '70 a Cornwall II with vertical horns was built.

This message has been edited by Steve P on 08-17-2001 at 08:41 PM

I have Cornwall II's made in 1989, It would be a lot easier if you were to unscrew the woofer. You will have a lot more room to look inside. The woofer screws have t-nuts on them. The tweeter and midrange do come out what's probably happening is theres a piece of thin foam on the back of them which seals them to the enclosure and its probably sticking. You need to get something thin under them to pry them up. The tweeter, once its loose, will take a little work to get out because its magnet needs to fit through a rather small hole. Good Luck. Dan

You are correct if the reference to 1985 as the year made is in regards the date shown following the Trade Mark information their rear label. Bad assumption on my part to think that he derived the 1985 date from the first two positions of the serial number. That's why I was so curious and wanted to see their serial numbers. My vertical II's have the 1971 alpha character (J)in their serial numbers. There's never been any doubt on my part as to the correct year or version for mine based on their serial numbers. Earlier this year, I recall some members had somewhat reached the conclusion that II's were introduced near mid year 1986. Well, identification of their serial numbers will certainly reveal their actual year.

Wes

Thanks so much for the responses. It's real hot and muggy here in Hawaii. I took a nap after listing the topic. Then I got up and fooled around with the Cornwalls in terms of corner positioning and listened to a bunch of CD's. I'm driving them with just completed Bottlehead Paramours with the C4S modification. Conrad Johnson PV-1a preamp and Pioneer 525 DVD player.

I've been lurking on this BBS for about 4 months and the Bottlehead BBS for about 18 months. I've been dying to hear 2A3 bottles and 100 db speakers but Hawaii has nothing. Finally 2 things occurred that allowed me to meet and mate the two. (1) I read Colin Flood's review of the paramour/cornwall combination. This pushed me over the top. I ordered the Paramours. (2) I talked to a friend who used to sell audio equipment but now sells office equipment to the State of Hawaii. He also appraises audio systems for bancruptcy auctions. He has been picking up High End Equipment for the last few years at pennies on the dollar. (Hawaii has been in an economic slump for the last 8-10 years... Many corporate and personal bancruptcies... Night clubs open for 6 months and die... He buys 150,000 dollars of equipment for $2000... High living Dot-Commers go bankrupt and either sell or dump in the trash Lowther, Martin-Logan, Mirage, Klipshorns etc... He has many raw JBL, Altec-Lansing drivers, horns, woofers). I happened to see a pair of Cornwalls in his pile of audio equipment. He said he'd let me have them for $500. First I borrow them for a month. That's where I am now.

Sorry for the digression and bout of logorrhea.

I need to get into the speakers because:

One tweeter is dead.

I hear an expected lower midrange slight honk and a peak in the lower highs.

Bass is thin, highs taper off more than I like.

I want to see the crossover and drivers, damp the horns, insert the 9 KHZ P-trap, consider any mods recommended by Al Klappenberger (I know his crossover is only for the Cornwall I, but something may be applicable).

I have the Type CII-FB

Serial 8610893, 8610894

Speaker Connector Cup States Cornwall II. Copyright symbol 1985.

So it must be a 1986 Cornwall II.

Thanks again for reading and responding with your expertise.

P.S. I made the decision that I'm going to VSAC 2001.

There is no better way to see and hear SET's, Horn speakers, other audiophiles and bottleheads.

This message has been edited by Jonser on 08-18-2001 at 02:07 AM

Jonser,

I don't know if you still want that tweeter out, but I would probably remove one of the larger drivers (woofer or mid) so I could put my hand in the cabinet to push it out from the back. You going to need to get your hand in there anyway to disconnect the tweeter from the crossover.

KG

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 08-18-2001 at 08:46 AM