HELP!!!!!!!

Dave217

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fellas, know thine audience, cool out. Dave's a 14 year old who msg'd me that he listens to Linkin Park, Green Day. Etc. Reminds me of me at that age listening to Led Zeppelin on my Radio Shack amp. There's another thread running under 2ch I think. I brought one of Dave's posts and my response over here for continuity of thread.

Michael

My response (posted under Modifications initially, brought here for clarity of the thread) I modified the dB chart because on further review, I messed it up.

Dave, sorry to dissapoint, But those speakers are not going to rock your walls down. Are you maybe like 20 with limited funds?

If so, check the papers for used Klipsch speakers of the Heritage variety. I bought two Cornwalls (35" high, 15" woofers with horns) for $300 per pair once. They put out 98 dB with one watt, your little b2's are only 92dB efficient. that 6 dB is equal to 4 times the amplifier power. Remember, you're probably trying to listen at 110dB or better. Those b2's arent going to hack it, not for long anyway.

Without too much math, Loudness, measured as decibels (dB) is a combination of how much power your amp has (watts) and how efficient your speakers are (measured as how many db with ONE watt input). Here's the key, it takes TWICE the power to make a measurable difference of 3 dB.

Your speakers are b2, which are pretty efficient as stereo speakers go (most klipsch are). Yours are 92 db with one watt (Cornwalls are 98, LaScalas are 104, but most other hifi speakers are only 82-88, so yours are pretty loud)

you say you're only 14, but dude, this is easy math, just double watts, add 3 to db. Oh, keep going until we're at the wattage where your receiver runs out of power or your speakers are likely to blow up. If you're into Green Day and Linkin Park, you probably want to listen to it deafeningly loud (hey I grew up on Led Zep, know the feeling)

1 watt = 92 db

2 watts = 95

4 watts = 98

8 watts = 101 see and you thought you'd never use math, still got amp left?

16 watts = 104

32 watts = 107, my guess is that your Koss amp is driven into distortion by now, if you give any speaker distorted power for too long it WILL BLOW UP-FRIED-GONE-$BYBY

64 watts = 110,

128 watts = 113

256 watts = 116

512 watts = 119 THIS IS CONCERT LEVEL BUT YOU DON"T HAVE 500 WATTS PER CHANNEL! YES I"M SHOUTING CAUSE IT"S SO DERN LOUD (no cussing on Forum please)

So, my young friend, with your limited funds, you'd need either waaay more power or just start with more efficient speakers. If you go the power route, it would take several hundred more bucks to get the 500 wats per channel, wait, but your little speakers couldn't take 200 watts and the bass would still suck.

THe answer is bigger speakers, If you could trade up for even 96 db efficient speakers (check the main Klipsch website under products) for the same or less $ you could get more effiecint speakers with MORE BASS and probably get close to the volume you want without trading amps up right away.

The trick is :

a- don't listen to distortion- it blows stuff up and pi$$es off old people

b- don't kill your hearing when you're young. These forum guys are 40-50 some of them, have massive stereo that THEY CAN STILL ENJOY because they didn't kill their hearing.

c- lighten up and enjoy what you have. You'll get the killer system one day. My first amp was Radio Shack dude! Now I have a $1000 receiver, 100" tv and 5 Cornwalls with 15" woofers. It'll play 126 db without a sweat. Do I listen to it that loud, NEVER>

Have fun it's a way cool hobby but it won't get you laid

Michael

Those are rated 92db at 1 watt and take 300 watt peaks so the Amp you got may be the problem.If your trying to get theater type sound out them you need bigger speakers and audio video reciever those little guys would make great rear speakers but not mains.Your not clear on what your trying to do, you say they are blowing,well a toyota corolla would blow up trying to keep up with Lotus Esprit,you cant expect those speakers to give you 104db in a large room.Rick

Micheal - Your post/response to Dave217 is priceless. LOL.....

Not only did you give him the info he needed ("make fishermen out of them...."), but you did so in a manner he could understand and with some well placed humor. BRAVO chap!

Dave217 - Is there any chance you could take the Koss unit back and upgrade it? If not, I think you're faced with a dilemma most of us face daily - not having the moola to get what we want RIGHT NOW! Well....there are some exceptions like Colterphoto1 and fini who are independently wealthy, but most of us have to actually save up for what we want and even then, we have to sneak it past our wives in the middle of the night! 11.gif9.gif

Anyhow, as Colterphoto1 has pointed out, to achieve the goal you're shooting for is gonna take cubic dollars. I say this not to discourage you, but to get you to think about what it is you want and then set a plan in motion for achieving it. Hell, there's probably someone here that has a nice older reciever sitting in a closet gathering dust that they'd sell you for cheap. So be nice to us.2.gif In fact, I must admit that I started thinking about a Denon 1802 that I could part with. Hmmmmm....

Good luck, welcome aboard, and help us help you.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I felt in particularly good form this am. Should we save it as a primer for newbies? Perhaps that would be a fun group project to work on. Build a thread that will be saved, with some various insights presented in a logical order, sort of a handbook of FAQ's.

Amy didn't even catch the 'pi$$es off old people' line, yet. LMAO

This is fun, isn't it!

btw Tom, those solo massive banana plugs (GLS Audio) I got from you, are so long and unshielded that if used at the back of the amp, tend to touch each other and short out. I'll use em only for the speaker ends where there's more separation or wrap neg with black tape. If you're using some, be careful.

Michael

Thanks Michael for the heads up on the GLS banana's. Yes, I'm using them on my Sherbourn. I checked them real closely to make sure they weren't touching when I installed the amp and they seemed to have plenty of clearance. But now you've got me paranoid.

Gee thanks pal. 2.gif

Tom

ps: I vote "NO" on developing a FAQ's section/thread. What would be the fun of not having the same 'ol, same 'ol re-hashed every two years or so?? Are you crazy???

Wait a minute.....

That's right, you flew/drove to Florida for some beat up, old technology speakers and then lied to the old lady that they were "exactly what you were hoping for."

Yeah - you're crazy.3.gif9.gif

Tom, re the banana plugs, just make sure your cables have a little slack in them. Even when fully inserted in the jack, they tend to droop a bit, any cable tightness and they'll touch- not a good thing. Especially if you pull the receiver out to work on something. I noticed it when setting up my little basement system. They are way heavy duty, hard to believe they didn't put a shield in there somewhere, the whole outer case is LIVE.

I'm going back to the old dual plastic jobs for the back of the receiver- safety first.

Michael- certifiably crazy.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the **** (did not cuss) are you talekn about, in school i am the most knowing about speakers and still cant understand you guys!!!!!! CAnt i just change some peaces in my speakers?

In a word, no. Well yes but. Oh I don't know. Sure why not. I would.

You still haven't given us much to go on but what has been said above is that "YOU ARE DRIVING THE AMPLIFIERS IN YOUR KOSS INTO CLIPPING WHICH IN TURN IS BLOWING YOUR DRIVERS" In other words your Koss sucks or you are just turning it up too loud. Buying a replacement speaker that is not made for the crossover network and a hundred other variables isn't going to change anything for the better. Get a deep breath and try to relate some of your experiences with the problems you just had, what did the original speakers do? How did they sound, do they still work?

Dave,

You can replace the tweeters if they are blown, But there is a close correlation (they must match) the woofer, box size, port (the hole that lets bass out) and the crossover (thing that splits high notes and low notes).

You will NOT find a better match that is as good as what Klipsch put in the box in the first place. Any replacement will probably NOT be as efficient, you WILL VOID any warranty.

Lesson is, you cannot buy a Kia and expect to go at Porsche speeds. As good as they are for their size and price. 6" woofers will not sound like a rap concert. Period. Sorry, that's why lots of us have TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS wrapped up in our systems. I say this not to brag, but the huge, efficient speakers, multi-channel receivers (mine is 130 good clean watts x 7 channels) and all the other stuff cost some BIG BUCKS.

So get that after school job, don't blow your money on beer, crack, girls, whatever and save up for that killer system. Best advice I can give you. This IS rocket science. There are laws of electronics, physics, acoustics at work here. There is nothing magical about it. Bigger just costs more. Way of the world, my young friend.

So fix those speakers, turn it down a bit and ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE. Lots of 14-year olds probably don't have the system you have or know anything about hi-fi. By the time you're in college, you'll have the biggest system in the dorm and have the best parties.

Be patient. Hang around the Forum. Listen and learn. Ask questions.

Michael

I have never had the problem befroe these speakers. i could turn it up all the way... no problem. but now with the speakers it wont let me. they are cauing it to short out!

and three other things just to let u know.

1. It is better to spend money on a Date like to the movies then on a speaker system.

2. I already have a job in the summer.

3. Where i live every one has nice systems. Mine is one of the worst ones here.

----------------

On 2/11/2005 6:10:19 PM Dave217 wrote:

and three other things just to let u know.

1. It is better to spend money on a Date like to the movies then on a speaker system.

2. I already have a job in the summer.

3. Where i live every one has nice systems. Mine is one of the worst ones here.

----------------

OK Dave,I know the answer to #1,the answer is...false.2.gif

Well Dave, be more descriptive of the problem. Just saying it sucks doesn't help us.

So your amp sounded great with other speakers, only sounds like horse hockey (thats $#!t) with Klipsch, OR, the Klipsch sounded great until you blew them up, OR, you just never liked the sound of the Klipsch, OR you are smoking crack (its a joke).

I get the feeling you are expecting gorgeous, room shaking sound levels with a $300 sound system. We're trying to help you here dude! If your friends have great systems, what do THEY think of yours?

And yes you are right, $ spent on dates is way better use of funds at this stage in life. Get all you can while you can. All us old rich guys sit home alone with our friggin million dollar sound systems, just wishing we had a lady friend to share it with. So money is not all its supposed to be. (just my personal position here fellas)

Michael

The system had 2 KLH-130watt speakers, 1 75-watt sup with a 25watt amp on the back and 3 old wall speakers that i found around the house. This altogether could shake my room and work fine at 100% volume (and man was it loud even to loud for me : - ) lol ) but then i replaced 2 of the wall speakers with the Kliosch B2 bookshelf speakers and now it stops giving off sound at like 30% : - (