RF-35 Vs RF-25

teagster

As a newbie and starting down the road of Klipsch technology I find myself in the quandry, which Reference series is not only great sounding but which is the best value for money.

I heard an RF-25, RC-25, RS-25 system with a RW10 Sub and it sounded pretty darn good. However after some research I received advice to hold off the sub and put the extra cash into an RF-35, RC-35 & RS-35 system.

My listening habits are Movies 80% and Music 20% through a 5.1 amplifier in a small to mid-size room. Has anyone compared the RF-35's against the RF-25's and was the difference worth the money differential?

Any help would be appreciated.

The RF-35s have deep, nice bass, but it doesn't hold its own even in a moderately sized room, for Home Theater duties. They are certainly better speakers, with more presence, power, and dynamics, but unless you can swing the -35 series for the fronts (you can keep the -25 surrounds) AND get the sub, I would say keep the first option.

P.S. I would highly recommend investing into an RW-12 instead of RW-10 -> you'll appreciate the ooomph.

Teag,

You are definitely better off with the RF-35 system without the sub for now. When you save the necessary cash purchase the RSW12 sub to complete your HT. I have listened to this system and I think you will be happy with it as well. However, if you catch the audio bug, you will not be satisfied until you upgrade to the RF-7's.

In a smaller room, I was happier with the sound of RF-25's compared to 35's. They seemed to have a cleaner sound. I do use the sub for LFE plus have all speakers set to small with a 80hz x-over point. If you watch movies you will want a sub for the LFE track as well. The deep bass is much cleaner coming from a sub and to me the sound was much cleaner letting the mains work above 80hz while the sub did LFE and below 80hz from the other speakers....but it is a subjective thing....bring them home and pick what sounds good to YOU! Space constraints as well as the wife dictated smallish rear speakers, lol. We sort of reached a compromise there. For now, I am more than happy with the sound I get in the living room for both music and movies, and absolutely love the performace of the BIC sub...especially for the $ spent on it.

Teagster, The RW-12 is animal. The lows are so difinitive, its not just "boom-boom". The corner to corner internal technology delivers crisp levels below 150 hz. I have two subs. PSB Subsonic 5i for mid bass and the mighty RW-12 goes beyond the cellar, you know what I mean. With correct calibration, placement, the blend is Bliss.... 2.gif thanks donnie

I have an rf-35, rc-35, rs-35 system at home, and I lOVE them. I haven't demoed the -25s for dvds, but I did do an a/b comparison for music, and there was no comparison. The rf-35s sound fantastic, and have far more presence than the rf-25s. I would go for for them, and hold off getting the subwofer for a while if necessary. Also, I originally got an rw-10 (to save a few bucks), but I was afraid I was missing something and taded it in for an rw-12. What a difference! I couldn't believe how much better the lows sounded. Of course, I can make people bleed from the ear with the bass if I choose, but the real advantage is in how good the rw-12 sounds when it isn't over-cranked. It just fills out the lows better. Worth every penny!

Scott

Thanks everyone for the guidance,

It most definately sounds like I should Hold-off buying a sub straight away and buy the RF-35's, RC-35 and RS-35's. From what I understand when I can afford a sub I should go for the RW-12 to compliment the set-up.

Does anyone know where the best price for the -35's are right now and would it be best to hook the speakers up with Monster cable?

Thanks IAmtnbikr for sharing your experience. My movie room is small right now but I have plans, (and agreement from the wife to 'go bigger' when we next move house). I think therefore that the -35's will be my target buy and match them with a RW-12 sub as soon as $$ allow. I listened to the -25's at Goodguys and liked them. But my Amplifier is considered 'Bright' and I have received advice to aire on the side of caution and get some heavier bass speakers like the -35's to allow for this in the short term before upgrading the amp.

I'm a newbie to home theater systems and I just bought the RF-35's. My room is 19'x14' with a cathedral ceiling.

I care more about my music, but thought that I'd hook them to the TV for the home theater sound. My question is, if I were to buy the RS 35's, how crucial is the placement of them? I have the RF's on the side of a 36" SONY that sits diaganally in the corner of the room. I have 2 built in book shelves (made specifically for speakers) on the wall that is to the left of the TV (the 14" wall) - one shelf on each end of the wall. I'd like to put the RS's on these shelves, but that means the right RS would be about 2 feet above the TV (in between the RF's). Since I'm more interested in my music, I was thinking that the RS35's on this wall would be OK since I do most of my listening at the opposite end of the room or the kitchen which is the next room via open wall. What do you think -

How important is the RC to a home theater system? Might I be better off buying the RC35 and go without the RS35's? Is it unusual to buy a home theater system in pieces? Anything you can tell me would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Linda