rw stats

filmguy

hi guys

i hv shortlisted the rw-10 and rw12 amongst other subs (the jbl e150 and 250).

unfortunately where i live i cant get a proper audition of any of the subs nor are there any return policies so i hv to base my decision on feedbacks and opinions of users like u guys. also i cant even consider svs bcoz of duties, ahipping etc 8.gif

i was wondering if the stated specs of the klipsch subs were true bcoz they seem really good. the rw10 goes down to 25hz and the rw12 goes down to 21hz! wld luv inputs frm owners of these subs abt whether they get these performances. also is it wothwhile to pay the extra dough to go just another 4hz deeper?

i hv tried searching for professional reviews of these subs so i cld get freq response stats etc but they arent available on the net.

also, how do the jbl subs compare (their prices are marginally higher to the klipschs')

appreciate yr inputs...

(sorry abt the double post..i tried to cancel it but..)

----------------

On 2/14/2005 2:09:11 PM filmguy wrote:

hi gcoker

even i am leaning towards the 12. in yr experience does the sub really give useful output to 21hz ? and wld u describe the bass as more boomy or tight ??

----------------

You won't get significant output at 21 Hz with the RW-12. Sorry. It may reproduce those frequencies but you won't be able to hear or feel much of them due to the design of the sub/enclosure. Not designed for subsonic response.

I agreee with CAS. While the sub is rated that low it does not have the

db's unlike my Sunfire. But regardless the difference was substantial

between the 10 and 12. The Klipsch sub is not boomy. Now to be honest

are you looking for major impact or a good sub to complement your mains?.

gcoker - i'm really looking for impact while watching movies and at the same time wld like a sub that enhances my music listening experience. i know i might be asking for too much frm a mid-end sub but thats human nature9.gif

cas when u say :

"It may reproduce those frequencies but you won't be able to hear or feel much of them due to the design of the sub/enclosure. Not designed for subsonic response."

what do u mean exactly; if the sub reproduces those frequencies then shldnt i be able to hear/feel it.

how does the rw-12 design differ frm say a svs pb10 which is spec'd to 18hz, for eg.?

thnx guys

filmguy, keep in mind the best specification to look at when evaluating

a subwoofer is the output at 1 meter from the speaker at different

frequency ranges. Typically you have to do some research from a third

party that has evaluated different subs. While the wattage of the amp,

size of the woofer, frequency range of the sub is all good, what the

sub produces is where the tire hits the road.

The RW-12 that I had was good with music but did not keep up with my RF-5's in terms of overall output. I should have gotten an RSW series. I ended up with an SVS (awesome sub). In addition, there was no noticible output below 25 Hz or so. If your room is small, it may do O.K. but in medium to large rooms it is too small. Looks good on paper though.

----------------

On 2/14/2005 5:16:10 PM filmguy wrote:

gcoker - i'm really looking for impact while watching movies and at the same time wld like a sub that enhances my music listening experience. i know i might be asking for too much frm a mid-end sub but thats human nature
9.gif

cas when u say :

"It may reproduce those frequencies but you won't be able to hear or feel much of them due to the design of the sub/enclosure. Not designed for subsonic response."

what do u mean exactly; if the sub reproduces those frequencies then shldnt i be able to hear/feel it.

how does the rw-12 design differ frm say a svs pb10 which is spec'd to 18hz, for eg.?

thnx guys

----------------

In order for a sub to reproduce low frequency material substantially, it must have certain characteristics that can be quantifiably measured. The design of this sub (due to the characteristics of the driver and enclosure) do not allow it to produce these frequencies loud enough to make themselves known. If you touch the speaker it should be moving, however you won't be able to hear much.

In general, with a mid-priced sub under $2000, you'll trade of either output or extension. With greater output tuning usually comes a lesser ability to extend subsonically. Vice versa, a sub tuned to reach a powerful 16Hz or less may not have much ability to provde 120+ dB. These are all gross generalizations but are not too far off the mark.

This is the reason SVS produces subs that can be user tuned to provide either extension or SPL. I imagine the PB-10isd may, however, better the RW-12 in both categories, but I haven't done a side by side so don't quote me.

tommyboy - i had a feeling that the rw wld b a better performer, glad to hear that. what is yr room size and do u think its extension and output is enough while watching movies.. which other subs did u try before the rw.

thnx cas for that detailed explanation. i guess i dont hv much choice with my budget and the few choices in subs available here. i'm trying to get an audition of the rw's which shld be available by mid-march. i suspect for my 15x17 room the rw10 might be enough but since u guys hv a better opinion of the 12 i might just go for that one..

any other opinions and suggestions will be helpful.

I recently bought an RW-12 and it does have a good punch at high levels. Now, this doesn't provide the punch that you feel in your chest but it rattles my house and my bones. I could have paid an additional $60 and gotten the lowest end SVS but I decided this one matched my current system perfectly and hoped it would provide me all the bass I would need for a few years. I will definitely upgrade in the future because I want to feel my chest pound when I am watching Behind Enemy Lines! However, I am afraid my wife wouldn't be able to take much more than the RW-12 can give her so my purchase has been a good one for me, for now.

Good luck!

D-Rex

----------------

On 2/15/2005 5:31:35 PM D-Rex wrote:

I recently bought an RW-12 and it does have a good punch at high levels. Now, this doesn't provide the punch that you feel in your chest but it rattles my house and my bones. I could have paid an additional $60 and gotten the lowest end SVS but I decided this one matched my current system perfectly and hoped it would provide me all the bass I would need for a few years. I will definitely upgrade in the future because I want to feel my chest pound when I am watching Behind Enemy Lines! However, I am afraid my wife wouldn't be able to take much more than the RW-12 can give her so my purchase has been a good one for me, for now.

Good luck!

D-Rex

----------------

Ha!! I just bought an RSW12, should be here next week... is my wife going to freak?!? I was/am certainly pleased with my RW-12 1.gif but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to purchase this RSW12. 9.gif

So, any insights on how much I am really going to like the RSW and how long before my wife kills me. 14.gif I put the over under on the latter at 3... you can figure out if that is in hours, minutes or days... I figure it won't be seconds because she will be stunned for a while...

----------------

On 2/18/2005 5:51:37 PM D-Rex wrote:

So, any insights on how much I am really going to like the RSW and how long before my wife kills me.
14.gif
I put the over under on the latter at 3... you can figure out if that is in hours, minutes or days... I figure it won't be seconds because she will be stunned for a while...

----------------

All I can say is welcome to the big leagues, you're going to love the RSW-12. You said above that you're RW-12 didn't put out enough to feel it in your chest. The good news is that the RSW series was designed just for that 2.gif

Filmguy,

my room size is 18*15, or so. I had bought a KSW 10 from bb, but was totally unhappy with it. It went back the next day, and I got the RW10. The 10 would be plenty for your room size. Unless you have the xtra money for it, you won't need the 12. I have absolutely no regrets about buying it.