OUTPUT TUBES (Quicksilver Mini-Mites)

doctorcilantro

Jon,

To get accurate advise about the effects of these different tube types I'd suggest you give Mike at Quick Silver a call. He will know the low down on his amplifiers better then anyone else. As far as I know no one here has owned a pair of the Mini-Mites.

Craig

OMG

The ship of fool's is sailing into the sunset...luckily I stayed in port.

I keep reading that Craig, people calling Mike etc. I should give him a holler. I guess I am somewhat used to El Capitan or corporate customer service. I was on hold the Chrysler Financial for 19 minutes before I hung out. (my record is 39!)

Looks like I'll hopefully be pairing the Mini-Mites with a Sunfire Classic Preamp. I was looking at an Audible Illusions Modulus M3 but I think it get sold tonight....

thanks,

JC

PS anyone down in Florida....tampa bay area?

KT90 is the most linear of the bunch, especially if run as a triode. This tube hasn't quite seem to have "caught on" yet. It was in production only a short time in the 90's before the Serbian/Yugoslave war put the Ei factory out of commission for years. Ei is now back and KT90 are back in production. When operated as a triode this tube's performance closely resembles the legendary Luxman/NEC 8045G. KT88/6550 is not in the same league.

The best and right tube is the one that Mike designed the amp around. You can use different tubes, but the optimum bias point will be with the tubes he ships the amp with -- the EL-34 -- which sounds outstanding with Klipsch speakers. Mike runs his Klipschorns with his Horn Monos using EL-34's in Ultra-linear (partial triode), and he'll be very "quick" to tell you that this is what sounds best with Klipschorns.

• 2 weeks later...