Selling the SVS for a Sunfire

mtbiker731

----------------

On 2/17/2005 8:53:19 PM xcjago wrote:

I wasn't going to say anymore but you keep spreading lies.

I never said SVS was soooooo much better. I said the Sunfire will have more THD and it does. That's a fact. I'm sorry you can't take any negative comments about Sunfire or about your sub. And there you go again with age thing. I think you are the one who needs to grow up.

I DO know that placement can affect subwoofer performance. In fact I have my sub placed in the corner of the room since it gives me the best response. How do you know that the CT-150 in that review was not placed in a corner as well? The reviewer doesn't say where he put it, however, it seems likely that he would spend some time to place it where it sounds best.

btw, I'll be 24 in two months.

----------------

yeah....

said he was going.... too bad...

the bottom line is that you would rather read spec sheets and "selective" reviews than listen to the subwoofers under discussion....

your continual obsession with a single specification shows your lack of ability to look at the big picture or more appropriately in this case - the total sound of the subwoofers under discussion.....

Oh that's right - YOU HAVEN'T HEARD ANY OF THE SUNFIRE SUBS!!!

and your posting throughout this entire thread is very typical of the svs fanboy postings on many different forums.... people who continually make comments about topics and equipment that they have had no experience with... meanwhile they keep referring to the brand that they own....

"The SVS PB12-Ultra/2 can put out 109dB at 20hz and 123dB at 40hz measured OUTDOORS with less than 10% THD. Moving indoors would result in 115dB at 20hz and 129dB at 40hz all at less than 10% THD. If you think any sunfire can match this then you are sorely mistaken."

and

"SVS CS-Ultra: 100dB @20hz - 4.93% THD"

did anyone bring up different models of SVS subwoofers?...... the original poster was discussing his 20-39PC+..... what do the measurements of different SVS models have anything to do with the discussion????

nothing unless you are SVS fanboy.....

and whether you want to admit it... your age does matter.... for the rest of your life, your experience or lack of experience are ALWAYS relevant to the discussion - not to mention to every job that you apply for..... your comments in this thread and in every thread are weighed by your perceived experience....

you cite Tom N and Mark S for the same reasons - their perceived experience and expertise...

and the perception of experience works both ways...... being your age does limit your experience.... and flat out admitting that you have had no experience with any sunfire subs furthur decreases the credibility of your comments..... i even asked you if you had any special or unusual experience that would give your comments more credibility....

your attempt to discredit my own personal subwoofer adds to the perception of your immaturity... i guess it is too much to ask you to stay on topic....

in case you haven't heard it yet..... when someone enters college, they realize that they have alot to learn.... when they finally graduate from college, they think that they know it all..... and when they get out into the real world, they finally realize how much they don't know..... from your postings here, i think we all know what stage that you are in.....

back to the original poster...

bottom line.... the sunfire line of subs put out a tremendous amount of sound from a very small enclosure... i have heard several of them and they are very impressive... you will not find any sub that gives you their output level unless you move to a much larger enclosure....

the latest versions of the sunfire subs with the built-in eq's can do the job even better without having to add an outboard parametric equalizer...

i will not comment on the svs sub that you currently own because i have not heard it....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JVC-Wabbit,

I tested more subs at home than you probably will ever hear in your entire life,and own more than you and your pals combined.

Reading numbers and and having these at home to compare them are two separate things.

You are like a blind man talking about colors(colors he heard descriptions of)and now argues that red is the best color.

LOL

I do not care how many tests made by others you've read or how much google searches you made.

Yes Sunfire subs have a higher THD than SVS or HSU or Velo HGS.Its a proven fact.And...

The original post was about SELLING an SVS to get a Sunfire.Can you not comprehend the poster may prefer a smaller sub doing a GREAT job,in place of a larger one doing a GREAT job?

In audio THD alone means very little,unless its grotesque or gets in the way of reproduced music.Some systems with low measured THD can sound horrible.Again in audio you LISTEN,and again LISTEN.Not only READ.Reading is great as long as LISTENING is used to compare the units.

Did you listen?

----------------

Yes Sunfire subs have a higher THD than SVS or HSU or Velo HGS.Its a proven fact.And...

The original post was about SELLING an SVS to get a Sunfire.Can you not comprehend the poster may prefer a smaller sub doing a GREAT job,in place of a larger one doing a GREAT job?

----------------

Yes, thank you for confirming what I have been trying to say this whole time. Of course I can understand that he may want a smaller sub that will still do a great job.

Did I ever say the Sunfire was a bad sub?

NO.

Did I ever say he shouldn't buy the Sunfire?

No.

Did I say that it will have higher THD?

Yes.

He asked what the differences there would be between the two and I gave it. I even said somewhere on the first page that the Sunfires are the best you can get for the size.

I guess where we differ now is whether or not this increased THD is audible. I think it all depends at what volume levels you are playing at and what type of bass you like. What I may prefer may not be what someone else will prefer.

I believe in taking things in a more scientific viewpoint. I need to see the numbers to confirm that what I am hearing is accurate. This has nothing to do with my age or my "lack of experience." There are plenty of "mature" people who have the same viewpoint. Take Ed Mullen for example, they guy who wrote the SVS PB10 review and a few others for Secrets of HomeTheaterHiFi. He is an engineer and believes that numbers and detailed testing are required to accurately judge the performance of a subwoofer.

Just take a look at his latest review:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_1/krix-seismix-3-mk2-subwoofer-1-2005.html

Heck, I don't even understand all the tests that he did.

Thanks a lot minn_male42 for assumming that my beliefs were based on a "lack of experience" as opposed to a true methodology used by many experienced and "mature" experts.

----------------

On 2/18/2005 2:19:44 AM xcjago wrote:

......Thanks a lot minn_male42 for assumming that my beliefs were based on a "lack of experience" as opposed to a true methodology used by many experienced and "mature" experts.

----------------

no.... your "methodology" is to read reviews and test results....

the many experienced and mature experts that do reviews actually listen to the equipment being tested as well as measuring it's performance....

go out and listen to the equipment being discussed and then maybe someone will value your opinions/beliefs...

Good discussion fellas!

I had the PB2-Plus from SVS! Performed nicely but I returned it to get the Sunfire Signature and I am glad I did. I found a Signature, new, without the new EQ feature for $1000 on audiogon.com. Had it a year now and am thrilled! The PB2-Plus was a behemoth, in size, I knew it when i ordered it, but until you get it in your room, figure out wehre it sounds best, it's a BIT MUCH! I would say they both perform admirably!

Good luck fellas!

minn_male42, is everything you know based off of personal experience? I'm sure there are some things that you believe in that you read in a book or heard from someone else.

If measurements are so useless then why do these professionals take them and publish them? Why does anybody bother reading them? They should all just say, "Hey our measurements don't really mean anything, you should just go listen to it yourself.

Perhaps YOU don't care for measurements or for me to quote them, but I'd wager that there are some people who do appreciate seeing the numbers. So why don't you quit this personal agenda you have against me and stop trying to silence me.

I am not giving biased opinions or spreading lies. I am giving facts. Even theEar admitted it. If you want to argue with facts, then you are the one who looks like a fool.