Need surround advice to match with KG5.2

Gene T

I recently purchased a Pioneer 1014tx to update my system and an SC-1 to replace an old Optimus speaker. I picked the SC-1 because it is the largest speaker that will fit in my entertainment center. I like the sound however. I have been using KSB-2.1 for rears but think real surrounds would work better. Looking at RS-25 or Synergy but don't know which would be best match. Have tried to listen locally but with poor results. Local B&Ms either don't have them or don't want to waste any time with me.

I am also interested in getting some back speakers but my room layout would prefer something like RSX-4 or 5.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this, HT is priority. Would consider starting over but I have always liked the KGs.

BTW: sub is JBL E250P, room is 14x20 with 9' opening into the kitchen area behind one surround. Bass is good, the JBL is probably getting some help from the 12" passives in the KGs. The KSBs are a little too much "in your face". They are not bad speakers, I have just never been able to place them where the sound field was great due to room layout. I think I could mount the wider dispersion surrounds near the ceiling angled down.

Welcome to the Forum. I also run KG 5.2's as part of the my HT. For the center I use a KV 2 and for the rears I use a pair of KG 1.5's. These can usually be picked up for a reasonable amount on EBAy and are a pretty good match with the 5.2's. Also use the product finder on the main Klipsch website to locate the 5.2' and you will find info on what Klispch considered the perfect matchup for center and rears.

The closer you come to matching all five speakers the better it will sound. Also if the receiver does not have auto adjust options for speaker distance and delay, purchase a Radio Shack sound meter and use that to "dial in" your speakers into your primary listenng position.

The product finder does not suggest a surround speaker to go with the KG. The product finder does indicate the SS-1 to match up with the SC-1, but I was thinking the ref series might go better with the KG-5.2.

My receiver has MCACC which will set up the speakers, including distance, level and 5 band eq on each. Still, it would be better to match the speakers.

Thanks all. I will probably pick up some KG.5's or KG1's for the back speakers, but Klipsch did not make a WDST speaker in that era. I would like to try some WDST speakers for side surrounds and wonder if Synergy or Reference line would be closer match. Does anyone know which will sound better with the KG's? Or, could I assume that because I am using a synergy center I should just pick synergy surrounds.

I would not opt for WDST if I was you, but I am not you so in the end it is ultimately up to you. I would go with KG 4.2 for side surrounds a KV 3 center and put the KG 1s you are looking at in the rear. WDST speakers do not do a very good job on multi-channel music and IMO they are not as good as direct radiators for surrounds channels either. If you have very poor room set up options the WDSTs can help a little but I still advise against them. As I said before it is ultimately up to you. Good luck.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum too!

A nice pair of KG 5.2's and 1.2's just popped up on eBay that is what I would use for rears and surrounds. Forget the WDST (sound sprayers) - Yuk!

Any of the KG series will work well with those, KG1, KG1.2, KG1.5, KG2, KG2.2, KG2.5, KG3, KG3.2, KG4, KG4.2, KG5.2 I would not mix and match with newer era speakers for the best overall sonic balance stick with the same series.

Earle, My wife wants to know if you are maried. I do envy your system. I would need a bigger room but would love it.

My surround and back speakers will need to be mounted on the wall near the ceiling. Surround and back speakers will also need to be relativly small. The room layout is poor with no real option to improve. The back of the room has an 8'x8' (ceiling high) Sliding glass door. The loveseat is 4' in front of it which creates a hallway from the kitchen (open to the right) into the dining room doorway. I am currently using my old optimus center speaker as a back speaker in a 6.1 setup with it laying on the floor firing back towards the sliding glass doors.

I decided to try some of the acoustech surrounds because they are cheap, I like the specs and I think I can mount them differently than standard multipoles. i.e. turn them 90 deg. It should be a fun experiment. They have a 6.5" horn which suould match up better with what I have than any of the new Klipsch stuff. I'll have them in a week and will report back.