Anyone here use FruityLoops to make music?

kenratboy

To really see if it's worth the upgrade, you could always download a hacked version to use as a trial version and if you like it then you can drop the $100 on it...if you don't, then you won't have to worry about wasting your money. It's pretty easy to find a good cracked version of the program.

The downside I see to Fruityloops is the user gets in the frenzy about finding good loops and then the music becomes a big collage of looped sounds. If you're really going to make music, then you should be recording your own sounds and using foresight in the whole process...in which case, the full version program is very nice. I guess you could say "collage music" is a huge pet peave of mine. The full version just makes the collage happen more often.

EDIT, i figured should probably mention what the full version gets you 2.gif My bro actually got the demo program a while back and then we came across a free full version as well. If I remember right, the full version gives you a lot more effects and more tools to edit raw .wav files and it gives you more flexibility in making your own loops. I think there might be a few extra MIDI tools as well, but I've never been a Midi fan. I think fruity loops is a great tool for creating drum tracks from scratch...it's nice to record a ton of drum sounds once and then have the flexibility FL provides.

I just noticed that I have the full version of FruityLoops 4...it came with my Audigy 2 ZS platinum that I just got. If you're going to drop $100 on the program, you might want to consider spending a bit extra and getting a new soundcard while you're at it...my card also came with CuBase VST which is a multitrack editing program (it's not SX, but it's still very nice). Wavelab lite is also a great .wav editor as well. I think my soundcard cost around $200, but I'm not sure.

A lot of nice musical things can be accomplished with Fruity Loops. I, myself, recently got hold of version 4 (Studio), and am trying to learn how to navigate through this program. Like DrWho, I also like to play my music out - the old fashioned way 1.gif - and leaned toward Fruity Loops mainly for some "Drum" works. But it's a nice program which will enable you to create a lot of music.

----------------

On 2/17/2005 3:24:34 PM kenratboy wrote:

I have the demo and am having a blast - just deciding if I want to pull the trigger and pay $100 for the real deal.

Lots of little fun things to do with it.

I think I should just to I can use my creative energy towards making music and not, ummm, killing people or something
14.gif

----------------

Spend the $100. I've been using Fruity for years now (check out some of my work at www.artistlaunch.com/rhinohorn ) and they've just gotten better and better over the course of time. The best part is, you get lifetime upgrades for free. You buy FL Studio 2.xxx now, you'll get the new FL Studio 24.xxx three years from now.

Hell, even without that, it's the most bang you'll ever get out of a hundred bucks for a software studio suite. There's just no comparison.

----------------

On 2/18/2005 1:28:51 PM kenratboy wrote:

Thanks!

Do you think a MIDI controller is a good thing to have? I am sure it is a lot more 'creative' to touch keys and play with timing with an actuall keyboard than to click on the screen.

Yeah, I am probably going to get it.

----------------

It's convenient, but not necessary. I hand-programmed everything I did - gave me the freedom to write that which I am incapable of playing.

----------------

On 2/18/2005 1:28:51 PM kenratboy wrote:

Thanks!

Do you think a MIDI controller is a good thing to have? I am sure it is a lot more 'creative' to touch keys and play with timing with an actuall keyboard than to click on the screen.

Yeah, I am probably going to get it.

----------------

It can indeed be a very worthwhile, and quite helpful addition. The 'Griffinator' is absolutely right, though, about the method of "hand writing" your creations through. Just as he stated: that fashion does afford the opportunity of being able to lay out some things which would be quite difficult - if not downright impossible (at least for some) - to play outright. I, myself, happen to have a synth/workstation. But, if I didn't, there would be no hesitation about my picking up a MIDI controller unit. I will incorporate loops into SOME of my works, but (to me) there is nothing like the feel of the 'Keys' - and expressing myself in that manner.

My issue is timing. I can 'play' (I have NO musical training) a simple chord, but would have trouble 'writing' it.

I will need to play with it a while before I do anything else. I understand the basics of the program, but I just need to know how to take stuff from my head and put it in the computer!!!

----------------

On 2/21/2005 11:26:43 PM InnovaZero wrote:

Still trying to figure everything, program has a LOT of stuff.
----------------

Tell me about it! 14.gif

I have the basic architecture down fine, but the issues I am having are how to control sounds. There are some sound loops, for example, that go on forever. How can I control how they fade in and out, stuff like that.

There are SOOOOOOOOO many little options for each sample you load to the play list deal, I have no clue what they are and what they do.

I would LOVE to take a ~4 hour class on how to use the program.