Reference or Synergy?

Smokem

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Synergy speakers use non-aluminum woofers and usually have aluminum domed drivers for the horns. Reference ones are aluminum woofers and titanium dome drivers. Sound-wise I was happy with my old Synergy stuff, but to me the Reference speakers have a more open, clean presence. The equipment used to drive them can have a major impact as well in sound quality. The higher end Reference stuff is made in AR while the R_-35 and down stuff is built in China. I have not listened much to the newer Synergy stuff but it appears from some reports on here they have a decent sound quality to them. PS....if anyone is looking I still have a pair each of SF-1's, SB-1's, and a KSC-C1 on the cheap!

Guest Anonymous

the difference is huge (and even that may be an understatement) lets start with basics

synergy VS. Refrence

1. Vineer

Synergy use vinyl vineers

Refrence Uses wood vineers looks better and of a higher quality

2. Cabinet Construction

Synergy uses i believe 1/4 mdf

Refrence uses i beleive 1/2 mdf meaning that the cabinet will have lower internal resonation and less standing waves meaning the sound will be clearer and more vibrant

3. Drivers

Synergy Drivers are ok

Refrence drivers dound night and day better, they are much more rigid and therefore bass is tighter and clearer and the horns are more efficient

4.Crossovers

Synergy ok

Refrence, desigined for max efficiency low distortion, uses better caps and transformers, but that doens't mean that they shouldn't be upgraded

Lastly, the refrence stuff is a great speaker, and is night and day better than synergy, but that does not mean that syngery is bad in any respect, syngery is probably the best stuff you can get at the price point its at, its a great value, the refrence stuff is much more expensive, but you get what you pay for and that is great sound. Refrence stuff is geting a little harder to find these days as opposed to even 2 years ago due to so many companies folding, but thats just the name of the game

I have a Quintet system with the KSW10 sub. I got it from my brother in-law for PEANUTS! I will be buying a 7.1 receiver in the future and was going to add a pair of f-1's for the fronts and use the two satellites as the rear surround. Then I had an idea to upgrade to a reference system. Still not sure what I am going to do.

Didn't Trey say soundwise, the RF-35's and F-3's sounded VERY close 6.gif - but going from $850 list on the F-3's to $1000 list on the RF-35's isn't a big difference.

I will say the F-3's are capable of 'hi-output' 2.gif

By my math, a 600 watt peak would mean at 1 meter, the F-3's can put out ~120 dB.!!!

----------------

On 2/18/2005 3:33:23 PM kenratboy wrote:

Didn't Trey say soundwise, the RF-35's and F-3's sounded VERY close
6.gif
- but going from $850 list on the F-3's to $1000 list on the RF-35's isn't a big difference.

I will say the F-3's are capable of 'hi-output'
2.gif

By my math, a 600 watt peak would mean at 1 meter, the F-3's can put out ~120 dB.!!!

----------------

but with bargaining on the RF-35s, you can get them for cheaper than the BB price on the Synergy....

ok, i have read a few of the comments, and i think the best way i could comment is a simple demonstration. take a set of any reference speaker, relax and play a well known piece of music, enjoy. now take the box the reference speaker came in and slip it over the reference speaker, now play the same music, this is the difference

----------------

On 2/19/2005 12:51:53 AM marksdad wrote:

ok, i have read a few of the comments, and i think the best way i could comment is a simple demonstration. take a set of any reference speaker, relax and play a well known piece of music, enjoy. now take the box the reference speaker came in and slip it over the reference speaker, now play the same music, this is the difference
----------------

15.gif

Oh thanks, I am about ready to buy the Synergy's because I work at BB/Magnolia and now I feel bad about doing this.

kenratboy...when I came here, my nephew was going to purchase the F3 system...he worked at BB...for the amount of money you will pay for Synergy and how they sound...get the Synergy with no worries...yes, perhaps the higher Reference sound better but you will spend MUCH more to achieve that better sound...if you want pretty good for not much green...Synergy and then you can save for when you feel the need to buy Reference or Heritage or whatever...

Bill

for the time i have spent around this fourm and the vast knoledge that has been displayed here i can only suggest that you get the best speakers you can afford,and sometimes for the sake of quick gratification some,one rush and purchase a piece of eqpt that is not quite what they like although it will do for now,this not the wisest way to invest in this hobby which can quickly put a strain on your finance.

your speakers will realistically be the longest serving apperatus in your system,upgrading amp, tt,cd, what ever will only make you reflect on the quality of the speakers purchased along time ago, which now turnss out to be a bargin or you will be spending to find that elusive sound. always let your ears lead you in this case its better than your head10.gif a vast number of these guys like to spend other people's money its also a mind game 4.gif

No, here is what I listened to. I have compared the synergy vs. RF3 vs. RF5 vs. RF7. Yes all in the same environment. I purchased the RF7 in the end. You asked for opinions. That is what I gave you.

Maybe the new guy is right, maybe I am just trying to spend your money.

Did I happen to mention that "Bose" also make a great product that will fit you budget. Stop by Best buy and let them tickle your ears.

Thanks Dylan, I was actually asking about the prior poster's "muffled" comment, because that is so similar to what Marksdad seemed to refer to with his "put the boxes" over them description. You're "night and day" description, although telling in it's contrast wasn't descriptive as to the how, of the difference. I do appreciate that you actully have A/B'd them. At least you're not just spouting off opinion based on a bias of what you own, or where they are sold, or that they copy so much from the R series.

It makes me wonder why Klipsch would even bother making such speakers, that sound "muffled" when for just a few more dollars you can get speakers that are so much better they are like "night and day" in comparison.

I actually tried to find a way to A/B them before I bought my F-3s, but I couldn't find a dealer that had both the Reference line and Synergy line, and then had a difficult time finding a dealer that had the R-3s and R-5s and/or RF-35s. One dealer I went to, that told me they carried Klipsch had none on demo/display and wanted to sell me (bait and switch) Paradigms the minute I hit their front door. (Oh, and they still wanted to sell me LOTs of Monster cable interconnects too.)

So, it seems to me, from what you and Marksdad and SCP53 say, that the difference in sound quality is literally to the point of good and bad, as you tell it. "Night and day", "muffled", "put the boxes over them". Seems like pretty strong descriptive wording.

I really have been enjoying the F-3 setup I bought, but I guess I really should be kicking myself that I didn't go the extra miles (however many that might have been) to find the R series. It amazes me that there is such significant difference between them. I didn't quite understand your last comment regarding Bose and my budget and BB, but I guess your point has something to do with the cost concious being susceptible to marketing hype.