Mixng Heresy II and Forte

tonygeno

----------------

On 2/19/2005 11:07:24 AM j-malotky wrote:

If you look at that thread they are comparing the forte2 (tractrix) to heresy2. The older forte 1 (exponential) is a great timbre match with Heresy 2.

JM

----------------

That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. Would be pans between the fronts and center be seamless? Would pink noise tonality be similar? In a situation where I'm crossing over at 80hz, would there be any benefit to going with the Forte over the Heresy as mains? The Forte can be purchased locally for $400 while the Heresy II would be around $550. I like the size factor of the Heresy. If I were ever to want to unload the Forte, I'd need to do it locally I think as the seller has ditched the cartons.

The Heresy II will be too forward as a center between the Forte's. Resident forum member popbumper tried that very combination and said that the Heresy II's tweeter was a big sonic mismatch with his Forte's.

Unfortunately, the Academy center is the speaker that you need to have a seamless front stage. Other options would be another Forte' with the riser removed, for what Academy's sell for on average a pair of Forte's is a bargain.

Tony:

As Frzninvt shared, I tried the combo of Heresy II center with Forte L&R, and the mismatch was blatant and unbearable. For purpose of argument, do not try and match any Heresy to any Forte, as the squawker/tweeters are substantially different and do not sound good together. Suggestions for center to Fortes:

1) Forte best;

2) Academy next;

3) KG series next. I had good success with KG2's before my Academy, it was very close though Academy was undoubtedly superior.

Good luck!

Chris

----------------

On 2/19/2005 11:17:27 PM popbumper wrote:

Tony:

As Frzninvt shared, I tried the combo of Heresy II center with Forte L&R, and the mismatch was blatant and unbearable. For purpose of argument, do not try and match any Heresy to any Forte, as the squawker/tweeters are substantially different and do not sound good together. Suggestions for center to Fortes:

1) Forte best;

2) Academy next;

3) KG series next. I had good success with KG2's before my Academy, it was very close though Academy was undoubtedly superior.

Good luck!

Chris

----------------

Thanks, Chris. I've decided to forgo the Fortes and go with Heresys all around. Since I'm using two very good sealed subs (each with 2 12" woofers), I don't think the superior bass of the Forte will be any advantage in my setup.