FS: Heresy Networks, modified

Deang

These boards and parts were used for the various test networks I've built over the last several weeks for my Heresy's and Klipschorns. Parts are all used, and have been soldered/delsoldered many times. The last network built was John Albright's Heresy network supplying attenuated tweeter and midrange output, a bandpass circuit for the squawker, and constant impedance.

Enjoying this network with my Heresys prompted me to build another set using AudioCap Thetas to see if I could squeeze anything different or better out of the squawker. No difference out of the midrange that I can tell, though I did get a bit more air out of the top -- which surprised me. Heresys on stands, with these networks -- provides some of the most engaging sound I've ever heard. I've tried them in nearfield, farfield, in corners, pulled out, played low, and played loud. I'm currently in nearfield with them, and the sound is intoxicating.

I'm selling these at cost, and if you'd like to hear something truly remarkable out of this little speaker, you might want to try these.

(2) 2uF Hovland, $41.50

(2) 13uF Auricap, $40.48

(1) 6.8 Auricap, $14.38

(1) 6.8 Kimber, $18.78

(2) 1uF Harmony, $11.00

(2) 2.5mH Sledgehammer, $17.90

(2) UT 3619, $70.00

(2) Terminal strips, $9.80

(2) Boards, $10.00

Shipping, $15.00

Total, $248.84

So what exactly was powering those Heresys?

Today while at a local shop I saw my first pair of Heresys, used in a light color Oak maybe, for about 1K.

I always imagined them to be much bigger but being a little familiar with Klipsch they probably put out a lot of sound. Also the midrange was not the "cone"...I'll be darned if it wasn't a horn 3.gif .

----------------

On 2/22/2005 10:04:33 AM Anarchist wrote:

Can someone explain to me wth Dean is talking about? Nearfield, Farfield... Are you listening to these outdoors on a farm?

----------------

Anarchist,

Here's my take on it, which is decidely not technical. Nearfield is a listening position within a few feet of the speakers. Like the little studio monitors you see sitting on top of mixing consoles in recording studios. I don't know the sonics of it, but some speakers by design do better in this listening arrangement than from trying to load a room with sound. On either side of that, headphones are REALLY nearfield. PA and ProSound gear sounds best filling up a huge space with sound. There are some speakers like LaScala that can fill a living room or larger venue. Anyway, that's my take on it.

C'mon Robert, you weren't serious were you?

The Klipschorns are taking a well deserved rest right now while I'm rediscovering the monitor sound from a speaker I never would have expected to be able to pull it off. About 3 or 4 feet away from them right now, and those suckers are fun!

Ha! "Farfield" in my room is 15 feet away, sitting sideways on top of my Klipschorns.