SPEAKER CABLES

zman

Zman I wrote you a pretty lengthy email about what I think. I know you can do a lot better and much cheaper than the MIT. MIT's cut off the highs and the lows and do something to the Phase that makes it sound "different" for lack of better words.

Again, I use the Radio Shack RG-58 and it one of the best I have used; Low impedance line transmission delivery of the signal, dosent get much better IMHO than that, especiall for the price, and don't let the price fool you. If you want to pay a little more Paul at Bizzie Bee www.2baudio.com sells a cyrogenically treated pair that sound excellent. These cables have a quiter background than the RG-58 and have an excellent balance and tone, a tad bit on the warm side of neutral but preferable I think when using horns. Hope this helps a tad.

Shan

hard to beat it, especially for the price.

Shan

RG 58 is a 75 ohm antennae cable!

I remember hearing a story from one of the premiere acoustic suspension speakers in the 60's and they were comparing a live drum to the sound from speakers at the same location. People couldn't hear any difference. They didn't want the cables to be a degrading factor so they used some 18gauge zip cable! Works for me. Actually, I use some 16 ga. Radio Shack cable for the fronts and the rear surrounds get some combo of soid and stranded 22 gauge wiring. Running some homebuilt khorns up front, Yamaha reciever (cheapest dolby logic one from 5 yrs ago), new Panasonic F87 DTS dvd changer, radio shack bass booster from 15 yrs ago that has adjustable bass frequency and level to give the khorns a little more lower octave boost.

----------------

On 2/24/2005 10:10:18 PM homemade wrote:

----------------

Yeah. I don't understand that? Shan, are you saying use coax cable? Would you use the single center (one cable per post)? Or the braided part somehow? Or use both? Sounds interesting, the sound signal from the digital cable on my TV sounds great running through similar cable spanning a few hundred feet around my house.

----------------

On 2/24/2005 10:10:18 PM homemade wrote:

----------------

actually RG-58 is 50 ohm cable.... not good for antenna cable or any video application

one common application for RG-58 is for antenna cable for wireless microphones and other RF (radio frequency) applications

but i am also curious as to how you would use RG-58 for a speaker wire application..... i am familiar with the DIY speaker cable that uses two RG-59 cables in parallel and some fancy croos connecting of one shield with the other center conductor and the exact same thing for the other conductor..... jon risch website i believe....

but not using RG- 58

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/page2.htm

FIGA.GIF

FIGB.GIF

spkr1.jpg

spkr2.jpg

----------------

On 2/25/2005 9:17:57 AM awsjr wrote:

these are the best cables I have used....this includes mit, monster and most recently some silver wire....sometimes simple is better....and the price is right....

-Al

----------------

$70 is way too much for speaker cables

but reading his ad copy was very humorous......

9.gif

For the most "Bang for your buck" Try SEB Labs.... They perform like the big boys but at a fraction of the cost, and look great too.

An old timer still makes & tests every set by hand ....We use them exclusively in our Klipsch installs, we liked them so much we became a distributor.(shameless plug) If you want to contact me to have a set custom made, my email is rjb@kbraudio/video.com or look for them on E-bay they usually sell them quite reasonably priced.

Rich

KBR Audio/Video Inc.

WWW.kbraudiovideo.com

Greeting,

I have been using Radio Shack RG-58 now for about a year and feel it is one of the better cables I have ever had in my system. I first started out with MIT 2, then moved to MIT MH 750 which I had in my system for about two years.

Well, then I was online one day and I heard about how a lot of guys are making there own cables using CAT-5 design, so I spent about two days making them, after I made them and hooked them up I was amazed at the sound, and how they completly destroyed my previous $500 MIT MH 750, so needless to say I had them up for sale on Audiogon the next day and used them for about a year.

Well, one day I was talking to an Audiophile Engineer friend of mine, and he told me that a lot of High End manufacturers are using Coax for their design, such as Audience, Musical Design/ Musical Concepts and Empirical Audio to name a few, he went on to explain how low impedance is a desireable characteristic to have in a speaker wire, and Coax by design is a line tranmission low impedance, low signal loss wire, because the wires are designed to carry a signal or long distances with little to no signal loss, this low signal loss design is how your cable signal can travel for miles until it reaches your home he explains, so it made since, it was cheap, I desided to make my own Coax cables using the Radio Shack RG-58, I figured at the very least I'm out of about a half hour of time and $25 dollars or so.

Well, I made my cables and I have never looked back, I have had Audioquest, MIT, CAT-5, Nordost Blue Heaven speaker wire in my system and this Coax beat all of them. There were certain minor things that some of them did a little better, the CAT- 5 had the best bass, but none of them matched the overall tonal balance and , resolution of the RG-58. This Coax design makes them real good at rejecting RFI, so they have a real quiet presentation of the music as well.

Now before I start something let me say that I'm not saying that they are the best speaker wires on the market. All I'm stating is my experience, and perhaps hipping people to an idea that you might not have thought of before, please take it as that only, again im not making any major claims here just telling what has happend in my experience. If anyone is thinking about doing this project and want additional info please don't hesitate to shoot me an email if you don't like it, your only out of about $25 and about a half hour of time. Again, pleae send email if anyone is looking to make a pair I my email more than I more than I check my Klipsch messages or log into this website.

Shan