Klipsh KG4 Loss of Sound

baylok

Speakers KG4's

The speakers have lost their sound, kind of like they are under water. I turned up the volume and herd a light snap and they went back to normal.

But,

Now they have seemed to go back to the underwater type sound very little voice volume etc. What Part has malfunctioned and how do I fix them??

Thanks,

Brian

If both speakers are acting up at once the problem would be in your amp. Maybe the protection relay is going south or a speaker switch. If it is just one speaker, recheck all your connections and make sure that no loose wires are touching. If everything looks good swap the left and right speakers. If the problem stays on the same side , it's an amp problem if it moves it's in the speaker and we can go from there.

Rick

Welcome to the forum.

I have KG4's and have never had a problem, except once when I thought I had problem and it turned out to be in my electronics after all.

I agree it sounds more like an electronics problem, since both started acting up at the same time. How loud were you listening when the problem originally happened and what kind of power source were you using? If you were trying to get 80 watts out of a 20 watt SS receiver, you could have damaged the speakers due to distortion. Are you running JUST the receiver, or using any other EQ's, etc? Could you give us the exact component list involved in the chain when it happens? brands and model included? And how loud, once again.

I had a similar problem with different speakers and receivers, and both times it was dirty/erratic controls, not the speakers.

What's odd is that BOTH speakers have the same problem, which is very unlikely.

What is the brand of receivers and age?

Did the problem crop up just suddenly, or was there any prior problems or warning signs?

NP - BIG COUNTRY - The Buffalo Skinners

Ok,

I was using the KG4s with Yamaha RX-V592.

I switched with a Pioneer VSX914K to help check the speakers

I also have it hooked to my computer through the sound card to play out of a Ipod.

I am using a junky old Aiwa AVX-200 and speakers to help test.

The speakers/receiver has had a history over the last four months since I wired it into the computer to sound low then it would make a electronic snap and the sound was cool.

But this only happened about 2 times.

After these posts I'm starting to think my computer killed my speakers??

It does sound like a computer interface problem, maybe a mismatched impedence, etc. I'm not going to be much help any more, hope you get it figured out (cheaply).

I've got the IMAC in one corner and the stereo in the other - no touching!

NP - DICTATORS - D.F.F.D.

----------------

On 2/24/2005 8:10:09 AM Frzninvt wrote:

The electronic "POP" may have damaged the tweeter diaphrams, put your ear up to them and see if you are getting any output out of them.

----------------

That's what it sounds like. DON"T PANIC!!!

Contact Klipsch parts dept at 1-800-554-7724. They should have replacement diaphrams for not a lot of money. If you can use a screwdriver and a small wrench/pliers changing them is a snap.

If Klipsch does not have any left, contact Bob Crites, BEC on the forum. I got a diaphram for one of my KG-4.5s from him.

More speakers are killed be inadequate power for the listening volume than over power. Loud pops are deadly!!

Rick

----------------

On 2/22/2005 9:28:45 PM baylok wrote:

Speakers KG4's

The speakers have lost their sound, kind of like they are under water. I turned up the volume and herd a light snap and they went back to normal.

But,

Now they have seemed to go back to the underwater type sound very little voice volume etc. What Part has malfunctioned and how do I fix them??

Thanks,

Brian

----------------

I had that same problem a while back. I was relieved to find out it wasn't the speakers (WHEW!), just my hearing failing.

My KG4s sound like that...

every time I take a shower!

Seriously, look for tears or cracks in the woofers,PR and surround material but that could be damage to the horn driver that sounds like that. Try listening to a sweep tone on a CD with your ear close.

Ok,

My pioneer 914 receiver just died hooked into another pair of speakers.

So I think I am having a power surge problem from this damn old house I live in or just have run into a ton of bad luck.

So if you have a power surge into a receiver and possibly into the speaker with no ear splitting pop but a quit electrical snap with a faint smell of ozone in the air (from the receiver) what part of the speaker did I just kill.

Defiantly killed the power source in the receiver.

I am moving!