antique sound lab

kittybuddy

I used to have an ASL integrated amp, MG 115 or something like that, used KT-88 tubes. I used it to drive Altec 605s.

The unit was very pleasant sounding tonally though certainly not accurate; it was warm and mellow sounding. Nice. However it was dynamically limited and would run out of gas and compress on loud passages, note that the speakers used were quite efficient and capable of considerable output.

All in all a nice unit but with serious limitations. Sometimes I'm sorry I sold it.

I also used to use ASL Wave 8 amps, not fullrange but only above 500hz in a bi-amped system driving Altec 288 compression drivers. They worked very well in that role, nice clear sound and no compression. Note though that the 288s were over 110db efficient, I'd expect the amps to compress on most speakers including most Klipsches except Khorns, Belles or LaScalas.

I have an Antique Sound Lab AQ1003DT which I thoroughly enjoy. I also recommend looking at the MG SI 15 DT. I had the opportunity to audition the AQ against several more expensive tube and Solid State amps using the same sources and speakers and bought it with no regrets. The MG wasn't available to audition at the time but I have heard it since and very possibly would have gone with it. Bear in mind however that the MG sounds best with high efficiency speakers while the AQ has the cojones needed for more normally efficient speakers. That said there are few if any Klipsch speakers that the MG could not drive to thunderous levels.

Both amps can be viewed at http://www.divertech.com

The AQ sounded very good indeed right out the box but replacing the ASL branded EL34s ( Sovtek actually ) with Electro Harmonics 6CA7s dramatically improved the sound of an already nice amp;Smoother midrange and tighter deeper bass.

The AQ uses JJ ECC82s ( 12AU7 is the N.A. equivalent ) for the preamp section and from what I have read ( and heard )they are about as good as can be had.

The ASL line is good value for the money although some of their earlier production had a reputation for questionable build quality. My amp was one of the earlies and had to go in for repair after about 6 months ( An EL34 developed a cathode to plate short ) and accurately reproduced the sound of a .357 going off in a closet via the KLF 30s I then owned. That said Divertech repaired the amp,replaced all O/P tubes and sent me a high quality power cord as an apology. I have experienced no further problems with the amp since so I conclude that the problem had more to do with a faulty tube than with the amplifier itself.

I think you could easily spend a lot more and wind up with a lot less.

I have marantz amp 250, preamp 3800, and a 150 tuner hooked to la scala's and altec valencia's.I sent the 250 out and had it recaped and now it looks as if I am going to have to send the 150 out and if i am going to do that then i am also going to send the 3800 out also .The bill will be around 600or 700$ so I am considering my options.

----------------

tell us more about you current system and listening tastes, then we can be more helpful.  ASL makes some nice product at a good price point...tony

--------------------

sorry about answering your question in two parts but I was at work and had to cut it short. I am a rock and roll fan mostly, a little jazz and big band thrown in to mellow out with.

I was looking at ASL AQ-1001dt 50 watt per channel integrated amp. anyway just curious I still might send out my marantz and have it worked on.

Hi,

I have an ASL "Orchid" which is their 2A3 based integrated. Once I took out some of the original caps and replaced them with Auricaps, and a few Riken Ohm resistors here and there I remain very please with the sound of this amp.

My brother in law also has one which had better caps in to begin with. He runs his with a set of La Scalas I restored for him.

Mark

• 1 month later...

I just bought these monoblocks on ebay. I was kind of surprised no one else bid. I thought it was a good price. What does anyone else think of this price? Any idea of what they would have cost new?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5765563221

They are Antique Sound Lab, but the guy listed them as 'Antique Audio Lab'

My La Scala's love my current tube amp. I'm anxious to try these out.

Thanks, Todd