Investor Types --- Heads Up!!!

artto

nice charts, thnak you Johnny, I rememvber oppenheimer running around saying the same thing, all well and good, until you lose 75% along with everybody else, then it simply becomes more of the same herd running in the same direction...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Johhny boy and others, you obviously know your stuff, not that I can afford it, cause I cant but if money was no object, what do you think is the very best tracking, charting and evaluation software available for stocks, options and futures, and why?

3.gif

http://www.esignal.com/advancedget/default.asp , a top performer , top rated by readers of Technical Analysis of STOCKS & COMMODITIES magazine , for many years, an for a complete technical analysis suite in a browser, http://www.prophet.net/ ,picking software is just as hard as picking stocks ,Stocks an Commodities magazine does a good job of rating standalone an web packages ,another top performer, who also contributes to the news letter on http://stockcharts.com/ ,Carl Swenlin, http://www.decisionpoint.com/ ,which brings me back to that appl chart under chart spot lights http://www.decisionpoint.com/ChartSpotliteFiles/050218_AAPL.html , peck around on the charts spot light section an you might end up here, http://www.cross-currents.net/monthly.htm ,showing a stock market mania that we are still in, dosen't mean money can not be made which brings me to the bull, bear funds levaged 2 to 1 or 1.5 to 1 versus the index their benched too http://www.decisionpoint.com/TAcourse/RydexRatio.html , side note stockcharts.com i believe was founded by an old microsoft dude Chip Anderson ,StockCharts.com, Inc.

11241 Willows Road - Suite 140

Redmond, WA 98052 USA

(425) 881-2606,

----------------

On 3/2/2005 10:15:24 PM Colin wrote:

So Johhny boy and others, you obviously know your stuff, not that I can afford it, cause I cant but if money was no object, what do you think is the very best tracking, charting and evaluation software available for stocks, options and futures, and why?

3.gif

----------------

There is no such thing. It boils down to how well you use it and interpret. And if you don't have a plan, and a system of execution, and you don't have the discipline to execute it, it won't matter anyway.

Esignal, MetaStock and TradeStation are all professional quality platforms and come in variety of versions and add-on products to suit the needs of a wide range of investors and traders.

I agree with Johnny that nanotechnology is the next big thing (Ive already been trading nanotech companies for years). Although unlike the internet boom era where the barriers to entry (as a company) were low, nanotech requires substantial technological and financial investment. It will probably take a much longer time to unfold than the internet did. The risks will be greater, but so will the rewards as this emerging technology will have major impact on virtually any and every industry imaginable as well as those not yet conceived.

At its current stage of development, nanotech is still working with "from the top down" technology, which means we're still basically just breaking things down into smaller and smaller (nano-sized) "pieces" of the same materials they were made from. Many of these types of nano products are already on our store shelves in the form of cosmetics, sun screens, paints and stains that don't need mixing and won't separate, fuel catalysts, high performance coatings, batteries and semiconductor devices, etc.. However, the real impact will come when we are finally able to efficiently build useful and marketable materials and products from the bottom up, molecule by molecule, atom by atom, as opposed to breaking them down.

There are two ways to play this. There are the speculative companies, many of which are nano pretenders. Some of these companies have simply changed their name to include "nano" so they can ride the equity wave. And ride it they will, at least for a while. The speculative companies could be likened to the "gold diggers", the miners, during the California gold rush. A few of these speculators made fortunes. Most went broke. The other way to play this is the "pick and shovel" companies, the ones who make the nanotechnology tools and/or have the ability to bring this technology to market. Most of these are larger or well established companies like Veeco, IBM, Intel, GE, DuPont or BASF. Keep in mind that only a minority of miners made much money from the Californian Gold Rush. It was much more common for people to become wealthy by providing the miners with over-priced food, supplies and services (the pick and shovel providers).

2003 saw what I would call the first speculative wave in nanotechnology. Anything that had anything to do with nanotech (including just the word nano in their name) went up anywhere from 400% to more than 1800% in 9-12 months (with a very volatile ride along the way). However, keep in mind that 2003 also saw substantial gains in the broader market as well. Ive included my watch list (categorized by market capitalization) of nano-related public companies. The list is probably not all inclusive as this area is changing rapidly. As always, you should do your own home work.

Nano Stocks.txt

thanks guys, yes, I have heard of those, was wondering if there was something that I have not heard of, even used Bloomberg myself, which was nice (everything under one roof), FutureSource, DTN amd Merril's in house system...

There really aren't any "nano" orientated Funds that I know of. However there is a public company venture capital firm that invest only in "tiny" (nano) things. In fact their ticker is TINY. Harris & Harris.

There is also the Merrill Lynch Nanotechnology Index, ticker NNZ (this an INDEX, not a Fund) listed on the AMEX.

I'll have to answer the other question tomorrow but you might look up the companies I listed in the above post in Yahoo Finance. There you can see the institutional investors listed, if there are any, for each company. There's more than I would have thought. And there are some interesting "cross-relationships" (take a look at NANX and TINY)