Investor Types --- Heads Up!!!

artto

For those of you interested in investing, I recently noticed that Fred Klipsch is a principal in Klipsch Lanham Investments, a management company for the operating businesses owned by Klipsch and his longtime business partner Charles E. Lanham. He is also an owner and chairman of the board of directors of Windrose Medical Properties Trust (NYSE: WRS).

Windrose (WRS) is whats known as a real estate investment trust (a REIT). This particular REIT has not been around long as a public company, only 2.5 years. However, considering the large numbers of aging baby boomers, such as myself, that are going to be increasingly in need of the services that are related to the real estate market that WRS invests in and manages, IMO there is very substantial growth ahead in this area. It invests in specialty medical properties and selectively owns, acquires, develops and manages medical facilities. The types of specialty medical properties in which the Group seeks to invest include medical office buildings, outpatient treatment and diagnostic facilities, physician group practice clinics, ambulatory surgery centers and specialty hospitals and treatments centers.

While I make no claim as a financial guru, I am attempting to make a career change from architect to trading financial securities to make a living. WRS looks like it might be a good thing to invest in. Many of these kinds of investments are often bargains off the beginning. While WRS price to earnings ratio is high by historical standards (its just starting to make money), there are only about 11 million shares outstanding and 2003 sales growth an outstanding 87% (this gets more and more difficult as the company grows and gets larger). It pays a 6.3% dividend. Recent insider (ie: company officers) transactions are all buys, open market purchases. There are many reasons for insiders to sell their stock, but theres only one reason for insiders buying their own stock, and that is to make money.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 2/23/2005 6:48:52 PM Coytee wrote:

Will they at least be playing music over Klipsch speakers in the waiting room?

3.gif

----------------

Why waste the money? Them old geezers can't hear anyhow.6.gif9.gif

Thanks Artto. Unfortunately, all my money is tied up in debt these days.2.gif

Wanna buy a 66 acre house lot?

Wanna buy a 66 acre house lot?

----------------

Yes I do. Where is it located? I am a real estate attorney in Las Vegas dealing with large scale transactions and here that lot would be worth $33,000,000 on the low end (undeveloped with no civil improvements. Old geezers are selling run down mobile home parks for millions. Its crazy out here.

Chris

Has broken through the floor of a rising trend channel. This indicates a slower rising rate at first, or the start of a more horizontal development. The stock is approaching the resistance at 14.64, which may give a negative reaction. The stock is assessed as technically neutral for the medium long term. Has broken through the floor of a rising trend channel. http://www.investtech.com/main/market.php?CompanyID=10604027&product=4 better places for your money like a good index fund if your just getting started in the market

The problem often seen in investing in medical related stock is that it's an industry that's subject to governmental controls. While the future definitely has growth for the medical industry/services thnx to the baby boomers it also portents some radical changes as to how that care will be delivered and paid for. Even now some direct care services are limited on profit margin by government funding. That maximum allowable benefit you see on insurance payment reports rarely covers the entire tab. The remainder is up to the individual to remit...if they can. It's a dicey area and will only get dicier.

----------------

On 2/24/2005 10:52:26 AM oscarsear wrote:

The problem often seen in investing in medical related stock is that it's an industry that's subject to governmental controls. While the future definitely has growth for the medical industry/services thnx to the baby boomers it also portents some radical changes as to how that care will be delivered and paid for. Even now some direct care services are limited on profit margin by government funding. That maximum allowable benefit you see on insurance payment reports rarely covers the entire tab. The remainder is up to the individual to remit...if they can. It's a dicey area and will only get dicier.

----------------

This is a real estate investment trust, not a medical stock. And yes, as you mention, because of the baby boomers there are probably also going to be some radical changes as to how care will be delivered and paid for, and that is essentially the very reason I see substantial growth in this kind of investment, as there will be more and more need for smaller, less expensive outpatient treatment, diagnostic, and assisted care alternatives to hospitalization.

The main reason I posted this was because while many of us older Klipschers may have our reservations about the direction the (Klipsch) company is going, its quite apparent (to me anyway) that Freddy is a pretty astute business person. He knows how to make money. Theres much to be said for the old saying when you invest in a company youre not buying the stock, youre buying the management. What better way to get reimbursed for our Klipsch purchases than to ride on Fred Klipschs coattails as he expands his business horizons? Kind of like a having your cake and eating it too scenario.

Johnny, while Im not a big fan of funds (they aint what they used to be), I agree that an index fund or exchange traded index fund is probably a better place to start for someone that is first getting into the market. But as always, its important you do your own homework and match that to your own tolerances and objectives. I wouldnt necessarily agree that the stock has broken through the floor of a rising trend channel. The short term moving averages have been broken, longer term averages are still intact. My software shows a sell stop loss back on 12-9-04 and its basically been trading sideways since. Would I buy it now? No. Id wait as there are clearly significant short but sharp pullbacks, almost symmetrically spaced over time. On the other hand, if it breaks out above its resistance again, and holds, then demand has stepped back in, and the price should continue higher making it a buy at that point. But as always, its important you do your own homework and match that to your own tolerances and objectives.

As for whats hot right now? Oil, Apple. My main area of concentration for the foreseeable future is nanotechnology. The sector saw its first major speculative wave during 2003 (various stocks up 400%-1800%). Theres more to come. But certainly not for the faint of heart. The sector does appear to be turning up.

Last night, my wife and I were sitting down playing Candyland with our daughter when out of the blue my wife asks me if I'd ever heard of a REIT. Could have knocked me over with a feather, since this thread was the first I'd paid any attention to the term and that was just on Wednesday night. Seems her folks had mentioned it to her as somewhere to possibly stick our tax return this year.

After reading the comments here from some good folk with a lot more knowledge than I about this stuff, I may wait and look into the nanotechnology instead. Artto, if you have a minute, could you update me on any of the items we'd discussed a few months ago? I need to check my mailbox, I may still have some of that information.

• Moderators

----------------

On 2/24/2005 3:44:50 PM kenratboy wrote:

Ummm, anyone know anything about Charles E. Lanham?

That is the name of one of my instructors, who is very wealthy.

Hmmm...
----------------

Mr Lanham is Fred Klipsch's business partner--Klipsch Lanham investments. He is involved in a lot of business in the Indianapolis area, and is very active in the community.

He has an office here at our headquarters, and comes in just about every day. He's just about the nicest, most down-to-earth man I've ever met (and I mean that sincerely)!

----------------

On 2/24/2005 3:16:48 PM artto wrote:

This is a real estate investment trust, not a medical stock. And yes, as you mention, because of the baby boomers there are probably also going to be some radical changes as to how care will be delivered and paid for, and that is essentially the very reason I see substantial growth in this kind of investment, as there will be more and more need for smaller, less expensive outpatient treatment, diagnostic, and assisted care alternatives to hospitalization.

-----------------

Yes, I'm aware of what a REIT is about. Medical properties are indeed enmeshed in that service industry. If they focus on medical manufacturing type property then that would be better. However medical services buildings are specialty properties and the bills are paid by those providing care. To pay for their property debt they will need a solvent business. It's very hard to find an alternate use for a hospital or long term care center if they go sideways. Even physician office buildings can be iffy as they are quite often affiliated with a nearby hospital. Imagine owning a chunk of this everytime you hear congress gnashing their collective teeth at medical costs. There are safer investment risks with growth potential. Yes, I've seen whole front line acute care hosptials go upside down and sit....no income....no bills paid...no other use for the site.14.gif

WRS http://www.pring.com/weeklykst.htm?edtSymbol=wrs&B1=Submit been doing TA for as long as i have listened to klipsch, it does have a 6% yield, but is a reit, when interest rates go, reits go down ,like a bond, if you like reits go into a reit fund, this stock would only be a trading play, it't has a short history of data points , it's a smallcap stock ,would never be a core holding,we could never talk to the head mukie muk, because we don't have a billion burning a hole in are pockets ,the yeild it's self is to be questioned ,a high yeild is used to support stock price at times , WRS 's weekly cycles used for lonterm view are as follows short term cycle down ,intermediate cycle down, long term cycle up, i wouldn't touch it until the intermediate cycle turned up, an the long term cycle was still up, if your hell bent for leather to buy it, a moving average is good for trending data points an useless in cycleing data points ,the lack of data points on WRS, makes it unable to apply a longer term moving average, for a complete picture of the overall trend,MESA- maximuim entropic spectrum analises shows WRS to be cycleing an not trending, WRS is at the top it's Bollinger Band, WRS is overbought at 14 an change, looked good when some insiders bought at 10 an the volume raised an the price rose ,but at 14 it has had some volume spikes, an went no where thats called devergance, there's the girls you marry, an the girls you date, WRS is only a cheap date at lower prices then dump her