TWO SPEAKER CABLE LENGTH S IN SAME SET-UP

zman

I'm going to be running 2 RF-7's with a Rotel 200watt amp. One speaker will be 2 feet from the amp and the other 7 feet. Do I make 2 seven foot cables or 1 seven and 1 two foot? Or how about 1 seven and 1 four and one half foot . Cost of the cable lengths is not a factor only best sound.

----------------

On 2/24/2005 7:29:37 AM zman wrote:

I'm going to be running 2 RF-7's with a Rotel 200watt amp. One speaker will be 2 feet from the amp and the other 7 feet. Do I make 2 seven foot cables or 1 seven and 1 two foot? Or how about 1 seven and 1 four and one half foot . Cost of the cable lengths is not a factor only best sound.

----------------

I've had this discussion before.

It depends on if you are a complete total purist. Then both the same.

If they say that they can hear a difference in brands of equal length, I've done some installations where it has been demanded.

But in the real world, you would be fine with unequal lengths that short.

dodger

----------------

On 2/24/2005 7:29:37 AM zman wrote:

----------------

You might move your system around some day, and want them more equal.

Make em whatever length you want. If you do a search, you'll find this topic has been covered several times on the forum. Without going though all the math again, due to the speed of electricity through the wires and the speed of sound once it comes out of the speakers, it's something like for every 100 feet of difference in cable length, the sound difference will be the same as moving your head 1/8 inch to the right or left.

Please, no one get on me with the exact numbers, I know these aren't correct, just trying to illustrate the point.

----------------

On 2/24/2005 10:37:54 AM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

Make em whatever length you want. If you do a search, you'll find this topic has been covered several times on the forum. Without going though all the math again, due to the speed of electricity through the wires and the speed of sound once it comes out of the speakers, it's something like for every 100 feet of difference in cable length, the sound difference will be the same as moving your head 1/8 inch to the right or left.

Please, no one get on me with the exact numbers, I know these aren't correct, just trying to illustrate the point.

----------------

Okay, should he get his hearing tested to see which ear may be better to use the one or two feet of cable and adjust the chair 1/8"?

ONLY KIDDING.

"it's something like for every 100 feet of difference in cable length, the sound difference will be the same as moving your head 1/8 inch to the right or left."

Its a lot bigger difference then that. The speed through the wiring is many many many thousands of times faster then the speed of sound through the air.

For example if we go by a causal estimate of the electricitys speed through the wiring at half the speed of light in 1ms the electricity will travel about 491,785 feet.... or about 93 miles.

In that same time the sound traveling through the air will go about a foot.

Shawn

Guest Anonymous

well, since electricty travels close to the speed of light the distance of 4 feet is about 99.999999% negligable as far as the two distances go and therefore there is probably a 1x10^-99 chance you may hear a difference. But all the same everyone makes adjustments and moves things around, it would be much better to have the a similiar length so you don't have to buy again because you decided to move you speaker 1 foot to the left and you don't have the wiring to do it.

EDIT

Bear in mind that light travels at roughly 3.0 x 10^8 m/s, which is pretty darn fast, at 25 feet and 1 foot, if you can hear a difference that would be pretty amazing, but the argument can always be made in both directions... having the same brand i think is important though!

END EDIT

Answering your Original Question, since cables are sold in same length pairs, at least you could sell them if you move, or move them around.

But, truly what you wish within the seven foot, 4 foot and 2 foot lengths - that would be your choice.

IF the run were 25 feet or more, I personally would make them equal. That is only for opinion sake.

IF you can hear the difference between different brands of cables, make them both seven feet for the purist point and possible sale later.

dodger

----------------

On 2/24/2005 1:11:40 PM Gramas701 wrote:

well, since electricty travels close to the speed of light the distance of 4 feet is about 99.999999% negligable as far as the two distances go and therefore there is probably a 1x10^-99 chance you may hear a difference. But all the same everyone makes adjustments and moves things around, it would be much better to have the a similiar length so you don't have to buy again because you decided to move you speaker 1 foot to the left and you don't have the wiring to do it.

EDIT

Bear in mind that light travels at roughly 3.0 x 10^8 m/s, which is pretty darn fast, at 25 feet and 1 foot, if you can hear a difference that would be pretty amazing, but the argument can always be made in both directions... having the same brand i think is important though!

END EDIT
----------------

Let's keep in mind here that it's the "signals" that travel at relativistic velocities (around 300M m/s). The electrons travel at signficantly "lower" velocities (~1M m/s).

Use whatever length is required for a neat installation and save your money for more cd's! Do you actually think that the coils inside your speaker for voice coil and crossover choke has the exact amt. of cable to the foot? There are many many feet of very small cable inside those components. Do you begin to see why speaker cable makes very little difference?

----------------

On 2/24/2005 11:15:21 AM sfogg wrote:

"it's something like for every 100 feet of difference in cable length, the sound difference will be the same as moving your head 1/8 inch to the right or left."

Its a lot bigger difference then that. The speed through the wiring is many many many thousands of times faster then the speed of sound through the air.

For example if we go by a causal estimate of the electricitys speed through the wiring at half the speed of light in 1ms the electricity will travel about 491,785 feet.... or about 93 miles.

Shawn

----------------

if you want to be precise, the speed of electricity is about 66% of the light speed.9.gif

anyway with the answer of Champagne taste beer budget i m sure everybody here has understood.2.gif

----------------

On 2/25/2005 3:10:12 AM doudou wrote:

----------------

On 2/24/2005 11:15:21 AM sfogg wrote:

Shawn

----------------

if you want to be precise, the speed of electricity is about 66% of the light speed.
9.gif

anyway with the answer of Champagne taste beer budget i m sure everybody here has understood.
2.gif

----------------

As far as an answer is concerned, doudou has the last word, unless we wiah to discuss inductance (XLR factor) of 7 feet.

That has been done, I posted the formulas regarding resistance at 100 hz and 20 khz.

But where I am going is a simple question was asked, we came up with an answer. I am not berating, belittling or getting on anyone's case.

I just wonder if we get too technical for a question as this?

Shawn, I think very highly of you.

Gamas if you read this would you PM or email me as to what Flag and whether you are in the US please?

I'm trying to see how many different People in other Countries

I have contact with.

that amazes me.

Thanks, doudou - I JUST realized that your avatar is a Teddy Bear.

I feel stupid.