computer to amplifier question

Omega3002

Just installed a E-MU 0404 card very nice.

This card was only 99 what a deal.

It has anolog and digital outputs/inputs as well as some good recoding software.

The converters are not bad at all that come with it.

I found them not far behind my Benchmark DAC 1.

Right at this moment Im am listing to some internet radio(from Itunes) at full bandwith. I also can reccord the radio as I listen. Cds that have been copyed to my hard drive play back at full resolotion with out jitter.

----------------

On 2/25/2005 5:56:09 PM Omega3002 wrote:

For those who have separates, has anyone tried connecting their computer directly to their amplifiers through the soundcard's analog outputs to play music and compared it to cd_player/processor/amp combo?

----------------

It really blows.

I tried an analog output using the analog outputs of my M-Audio Revolution and compared them directly to using digital outputs into an MSB DAC and the difference is night and day.

Before, when I used to have a home theater receiver, I had it connected via digital and its onboard DACs did a much better job than the analog outs of the sound card. So if your processor has an onboard DAC, using digital outs is highly preferred.

On the other hand, the digital outputs into a DAC are awesome - pure, clean, and utterly jitter-free.

HI! new to forums just looking around to see what it's all about.I wanted to do the same thing with my computer and found the right product to do the job.Every thing i have read says don't go from your sound card because it will sound like crap,so i happened to find a web sight Xitel they make all types of products for audio. It uses a usb connection from your computer which is digital signal and maintains it to your amp using heavy rca cables left&right.I bought the pro hi-fi link w/ the ground loop isolator this is very important because without,you will get a very low back ground hum in your speakers.used monster cable splitters where cd changer plugs in to make the connection with the ground loop.the only thing, you can only listen to your pc or your system not both at the same time.the product works, it will be as close as you will ever come to the actual cd recording.I have it hooked to pioneer sg-9800 eq/ Sa-950011 pre- amp/ Spec4 amp/ Klipsch quartets/chours11. check it out, it makes my itune music file rock.

I have to jump in here Muege. You said you have tested an Audigy2 (known to be better for gaming EAX stuff) and an M-Audio Revolution card which is a card you can find for 75$ dollars, and is not their best card. Any of the Delta cards or the 24/96 or 192 outperform this card.

"It really blows" ???? I'm sorry but I don't see how you can justify this highly insightful observation, and make a sweeping generalization because you did some tests on two lower end cards.

You still haven't provided the information regarding how you perfomed these "tests".

And from what I am gathering on the web, jitter may be a red herring. I am going to call Scott Nixon this week and get his opinion as he is renowned digital guru will most likely have some hard data to back up his arguments.

Dr. C

A good portion of the time while I'm working I listen to my computer server which has close a 3000 songs on it all recorded directly from CD to MP3's at 224 bit using CD & GO suite using the Lame encoder . The computer has a M-Audio 2496 audiophile soundcard with gold RCA outs which I send through a 12' pair of home built RCA interconnects to a Margules Audio ADE-24 Analog Digital Enhancer http://www.margules.com.mx/magenta/ade.htmhttp://www.margules.com.mx/assets/magenta/ade_chico.jpg' target=_blank> then it is pumped into my Blueberry preamp and finally to my VRD mono blocks. This setup sounds very good for casual listening. Many a customer has been in my shop and commented at how good my system sounds and a befuddled when I tell them there listening to MP3's LOL !! I seriously don't think pumping them directly into my amps would be a great experience the ADE-24 made a stark difference to this setup but I believe most of this is from its buffering effect with the long interconnects.

Craig