Replacing spade terminals with banana plugs

eq_shadimar

I was thinking about replacing the orginal spade type terminals on my Cornwalls with banana plug jacks. Any gotcha's that I need to worry about? It seems like it would be very easy to do. Do I need to worry about saving the orginals for "collector" value (not that I am ever planning on getting rid of them)?

Thanks,

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

My "new" Cornwalls (same '79 vintage as yours) have had banana posts added. The plugs are to the sides of the oroginal screw terminal block (still in place), one on each side. Wires were run on the inside from the mounting block screws to the b-plug screws, so one could use either terminal. On mine the installation was a bit sloppy: the banana posts tend to unscrew from the speaker back when you go to loosen them, and you can only tighten them so far before thet spin. I'm getting new diaphragms soon (in the mail) for the tweets, so I'll fix all that then.

Happy listening, fini

Cool I am going to give it a try this weekend. hopefully it won't take too long.

Laters,

------------------

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

eq - I just did this mod to my Heresy's. Radio Shack has a banana plug/binding post speaker jack thingy they sell. I don't have the part number handy, but can get it tonight. Anyhow, the installation was simple enough once the cutout for the terminal was layed out. I too wondered about how this mod would affect the "originality" of the speaker, but since I don't plan on ever selling these things, it wasn't an issue. I also replaced those panhead screws that attach the back of the speaker with some nice proper brass wood screws (had to countersink the holes for the new screws).

Tom Adams

Hummm well now that kindda throws a wrench in things. Actually to be honest I was looking for the convinence factor of banana plugs. I thought that banana plugs were "da bomb" for hookups? Everyone seems to want them. I don't know much about this so any further information would be great. I certianly don't want to make my sound worse.

------------------

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

I can see some benefits to performing this mod with spade connectors. Spades are considered to be one of the best connections for speaker wire hook ups. The positives are pretty clear, but are there any negatives to this mod? Also in addition to this mod, could there be additional benefits gained from upgrading the internal wiring? I'm aware of the gains cited from the ALK Crossover upgrades. Just wondering about wiring in conjunction to spade connectors.

Thanks for any input..Wes

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-23-2001 at 06:17 PM

Hey eq -

In case you decide to make the mod, here's the Radio Shack part number: 274-630.

No disrespect to Allan Songer, but I hear no sonic differences after making this mod to my Heresy's. I did the same thing you're contemplating for convenience as well. Having a way to use banana plugs makes the switch out from my RC-3 to a single Heresy much easier and allows me to make comparison listening without a lot of hassle. I can change out the speakers in 15 seconds (almost as good as a NASCAR pit stop Smile.gif).

Tom Adams

I believe there is no question that a good electrical connection is very important. However, it is up to the user to make sure things are snug and clean. That is about the bottom line.

Bananas are very convenient. And if you're moving things around a lot, they make a lot of sense.

Please consider that with bananas you have to make certain that the wire connnection to the banana is snug and clean, and that the banana is well engaged.

Certainly the banana connection is not going give "more sonic clarity" over an otherwise good connection.

Gil

I put banannas on my Lascala's for convienence and screwed them in the holes where the spades were then flowed them with solder, works fine. no appreciable sonic detriment.

Frankcwm41.gif

------------------

sonic frontiers; line 3se, power 2se.

monster 2500 pwr. cntr.

marantz sa-1

wire world equinox 3 intr. cons.

kimber 8TC spkr. cons.

lascala's

sonus stands (2).

mothballed;every thing else!